Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Problem: Slow throttle response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Nur Links

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Problem: Slow throttle response

I have a 07 D3 TDV6 Auto. Since recently the car sometimes responds very slowly to the throttle, like it has a "thinking pause":

- Problem occurs both from standstill and when already moving
- Pressing the throttle deeper for some seconds leads to the car's rate of accelleration suddenly increasing (to normal)
- Pressing full throttle immediately has no effect: 1 or 2 seconds of pause after which acceleration follows
- No noises, rattles or vibrations
- Sometimes the problem disappears while driving, sometimes it doesn't
- No warning lights, bongs, bings, etc...

Any ideas?

Will visit the dealer, but prefer to go there prepared. Dutch dealers are arrogant and ill informed
 07 D3 TDV6 HSE Java Black  
Post #41147629th Jan 2009 9:55 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have this.
The D3 learns your driving style.
As most of my driving is sedately 65 - 70mph on motorways, when I come to sporty driving their is a definate lag.
But could also be clogging of the EGR valves.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #41149229th Jan 2009 10:20 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

welcome to D3 car ownership, nothing new Laughing

If you're use to driving a "normal " car, then pop into the best part of 2.5 plus tons worth of 4x4, then it might be asking a bit much for it to be as agile as a toyota yaris Laughing

Post #41151929th Jan 2009 10:46 pm
Nur Links

Eeeer, well thanks guys, but I have the D3 for over a year now, and it never showed this behaviour until early this week. It didn't creep in gradually but started last Monday. Symptoms occur intermittently, sometimes even on the same trip and it is really noticeable.
Post #41156730th Jan 2009 12:15 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The initial 'drive off' lag has been an issue with the D3 since time began TBH. The 2006 enhancement made an attempt to deal with it that was nye on indistinguishable ....2008MY on has addressed it a little .....but a remap practically eliminates the problem Wink

...or it could be your EGR valves ...though I wouldn't know WTF they are on about Wink Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #41156930th Jan 2009 12:33 am
al cope

England 

a sticking EGR valve gives this same feeling, you put your foot down, and nothing happens, lift off, foot down again, and away you go. It may not be this, but if its going in to the dealers, ask them to check for EGR faults.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #41164530th Jan 2009 9:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nur Links

@ Al Cope: Thanks for the pointer, will enquire

As for the others who responded, please read my post: my car functioned perfectly for 50.000 miles and started to show this behaviour last week on and off and on and off.... So I know exactly how it should drive, but it doesn't. When pulling out of a junction, the lag is outright dangerous. Remarks about the D3 being a heavy car, that this is a "known problem" are not that helpful. Sorry...

And yes it has a remap since a month after I bought the car (Dec 07) and that made a huge difference.
Post #4138112nd Feb 2009 8:29 pm
WNION

Wales 

This is exactly how my 07 tdv6 manual performs, you press the accelerator sometimes and it has no effect at all. It`s been like this since I bought it at 1 month old, been to dealer and they say everything`s ok. I`m 100% sure it`s not turbo lag. In lo-range throttle response is very wierd.

WNION.
 NSPR  
Post #4146584th Feb 2009 12:29 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Check that the terrain response, it may be set to Grass Gravel and Snow Whistle
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #4146684th Feb 2009 12:42 am
741hcr

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

I had exactly the same issue two days ago. Traffic lights go green, accelerate and nothing, just as if the pedal has been disconnected. Try again and off I went. I put this case down to the fact that I had chaged out of Snow mode into normal mode on the way up to the lights and the D3 had got confused. Hope that's all it is. Certainly not turbo lag, more a case of no engine.

Post #4147284th Feb 2009 8:32 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had it been in to the dealers for any work? Is there a chance that they may have overwritten the re-map? So what you're seeing is a std take off instead of the re-map take off....?

Just a thought.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4147314th Feb 2009 8:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Nur Links wrote:
@ Al Cope: Thanks for the pointer, will enquire

As for the others who responded, please read my post: my car functioned perfectly for 50.000 miles and started to show this behaviour last week on and off and on and off.... So I know exactly how it should drive, but it doesn't. When pulling out of a junction, the lag is outright dangerous. Remarks about the D3 being a heavy car, that this is a "known problem" are not that helpful. Sorry...

And yes it has a remap since a month after I bought the car (Dec 07) and that made a huge difference.

Nice attitude Rolling Eyes

So after 50,000 miles you post on here after a couple of days of problems and expect us to run a full diagnostic for you when the site is full of posts on this problem and the MANY possible causes (HINT: Use the search function). Perhaps a visit to a dealers might be in order? Just a thought Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4147344th Feb 2009 8:50 am
Nur Links

NoDo$h wrote:
So after 50,000 miles you post on here after a couple of days of problems and expect us to run a full diagnostic for you when the site is full of posts on this problem and the MANY possible causes (HINT: Use the search function).

Didn't expect a "full diagnostic" and did use the search function. I just thought it was a little silly that when I write that the problem occured after 50.000 troublefree miles, others say that the car's behaviour over the last 1000 is normal. Nevertheless, I am very, very sorry to have bothered you and thanks for your valuable hint. Mr. Green

Went to the dealer yesterday and the EGR is faulty and will be fixed under warranty.
Post #4159225th Feb 2009 7:51 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Glad its going to be resolved Thumbs Up

Post #4159335th Feb 2009 8:12 pm
al cope

England 

glad to be of service

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #4161866th Feb 2009 9:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >