Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

problems buying with high Klm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lucch

Australia 
problems buying with high Klm

Hi after some advice I'm looking at buying a disco3 TDV6 SE 2009 with 211k klm what are some of the problems with one with k`s this high? Your thoughts on it and is there anything specific i should look out for the price is quite good for this model
any help is appreciated
Cheers mark

Post #150894430th Jul 2015 5:26 am
garrycol

Australia 

The two obvious things is to ensure the Cambelt and fuel injection pump belt have been changed - on your vehicle should have been done at 168,000km and that the gearbox has had its filter and oil changed - now LR say this is last one is not required until 250,000km so would not have been a standard service item on you vehicle up to now BUT the makers of the gearbox ZF, say it should be done at between 80,000 - 120,000 KM.

Then there are all the usuals you should check when buying a new vehicle.

Garry

Post #150894730th Jul 2015 5:45 am
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm currently considering a 2005 with 268,000km on the clock.

Cam belt was done at 168,000km, not sure about the injection pump belt though. Am I right in thinking that if the injection pump belt snaps it just stops the engine, but without any damage?

My concern is it has never had a transmission service Rolling Eyes I still need to have a proper look through the service history.

But it is going cheap.

Post #15127627th Aug 2015 5:09 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the injection pump should have been done but may not have been. Your assumption is correct that the engine should just stop. However, the the service cycle on your injection pump belt may have been changed as there was a recall in about 2009/10 to replace the injection pump and brake booster. Certainly applied to 07MY and I think earlier vehicles. One can assume that to replace the pump they would have used a new belt but who knows.

Take your Vin to your local dealer to see if the recall was done and whether the belt was replaced then.

At 268,000km the service on the gearbox should have been done at 250,000km but I bet it was not. However if the gearbox is OK at 268,000 then I think you can reasonably assume that some servicing has been at some stage so try an find at when. If in doubt, well I would definitely get it serviced.

Cheers

Garry

Post #15127987th Aug 2015 6:28 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Garry,

100% the gearbox has not been serviced by the current owner, they've had it for the last 5 years. It still has the plastic sump so I doubt it has ever been done.

My thoughts were on the same lines of the transmission has done 268,000km and is still currently shifting/operating correctly.

A transmission service (Fluid/filter/steel sump) would be the 1st thing on my list of things to do.

The car is curently owned by a friend of my wife, they're trading it in for a new D4 and have offered it to us for the dealer trade-in. So I also working on the fact I wouldn't sell a vehicle with known problems to a friend.

Post #15129538th Aug 2015 1:53 am
garrycol

Australia 

It sounds like you have everything in hand - I hope it works out well for you.

Garry

Post #15129608th Aug 2015 5:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >