Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Any problems after running out of fuel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Any problems after running out of fuel?

Just had a call by the better half stating that she had run out of fuel on the way to work. That we have frequent "chats" about not trusting the on-board computer stating 20miles still left in it etc. are all forgotton! I filled her up with a spare can, car drove off, but a little rough at first. I am assuming that that's just the air getting through the system and that no harm will have been done to the engine. Can anyone re-assure me on this one?
Cheers Very Happy

Post #1178239th Jan 2007 10:45 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Much older diesel engines had to be 'bled' through, but most nowadays automatically get rid of any air. I can't see any reason why the Disco would be any different to other modern engines.

Can occasionally cause filters to block up, but only because the bottom of the tank is drained & any particles may have been sucked into the filter at that point.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1178259th Jan 2007 10:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jollybodger

Thanks for that Bodsy Very Happy

Post #1178269th Jan 2007 10:53 am
Gazzer

United Kingdom 

Just my tuppence, might only affect petrols and then again just a maybe, but read somewhere about Catalytic converters being damaged???

But then again could be misguided.

G

Why is that the ladies seem to be challenged with the skill of filling these things up. My missus prides herself on driving around on the empty light for days! Surprised

Post #1178639th Jan 2007 1:05 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The CC's are only likely to have their life reduced or be damaged by prolonged misfiring (where there is a chance of large quantities of unburnt atomised fuel entering a cold-ish CC) or where the vehicle is misfueled and subsequently run until it cuts out.
The worst case is where the vehicle is mis-fueled but still runs for a considerable time, this can weld the injector tips on a diesel due to the elevated temperatures, causing back pressure on the HP fuel pump... so not only will a new CC be required but most of the fuel system and probably the bonnet as well if a fuel line bursts @ 3000psi Shocked

Post #1178739th Jan 2007 1:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jollybodger

Got to the bottom of it now. Eldest daughter last night was "encouraging" Mum to do something about that flashing yellow light. My wife kept pointing to the 23.4 figure on the info area. When I heard that figure I sort of realised that she was looking at average MPG!!!!!
Hopefully there won't have been too much sludge in the bottom of the tank, and there wasn't much fuel there to allow large quantities of unburnt diesel through to the CC - I hope.
Have to say the upside is that I can get a lot of "air miles" from an embaressed lesser half. Very Happy

Post #1179029th Jan 2007 4:30 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

jollybodger wrote:
Got to the bottom of it now. Eldest daughter last night was "encouraging" Mum to do something about that flashing yellow light. My wife kept pointing to the 23.4 figure on the info area. When I heard that figure I sort of realised that she was looking at average MPG!!!!!
Hopefully there won't have been too much sludge in the bottom of the tank, and there wasn't much fuel there to allow large quantities of unburnt diesel through to the CC - I hope.
Have to say the upside is that I can get a lot of "air miles" from an embaressed lesser half. Very Happy

Rolling with laughter Dont you just love em Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1179049th Jan 2007 4:35 pm
DiscoStu

England 

jollybodger wrote:

Hmmm - I have a cunning plan..... Wink
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #1179229th Jan 2007 5:33 pm
jollybodger

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have my "journeys" planned. Off to France this weekend for a long weekend skiing sans les enfants. I am sure that there may be air mile redemption!!
Smile Smile Smile

Post #1179749th Jan 2007 6:57 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Mean while, back on subject, just how accurate are the guesstimates of kms before the tank is dry.

I’ve had my RR down to 11 kms and actually drove the D3 for 3 or 4 kms after it showed 0 and in both cases, still managed to get to a service station.

Anybody else had any near misses with low milage indications.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #1180459th Jan 2007 10:04 pm
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Sadly (or perhaps stupidly?), I've driven mine on 0 for at least 7 or 8 miles on a few occasions, without actually running out. I'm sure that on at least one occasion the "0" was replaced with a "-" (dash) - then I really did start to get worried.

Last long expedition with 0 on the clock was with wife and kids - wife was predicting the worst with about 5 miles to go to the service station and suggesting I was somewhat irresponsible!! (me??!! Whistle ). I was being Duck like about it - cool and calm on the surface, but peddling like someone from wacky racers underneath!

Very glad to report we made it, as I knew we would all along.....! Wink
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #11872511th Jan 2007 1:41 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi ac, your braver than me, not so much for running on empty but for doing it with the wife on board. On both my trips I was on my lonesome. Very Happy

Seriously, I wonder just how much fuel is still in the tank once the display reaches 0.

Cheers.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #11890111th Jan 2007 8:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >