Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Problems w/ off-roading and Dust??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LR3ROVER

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Problems w/ off-roading and Dust??

I have a 2005 LR3, and did some heavy off-roading this past week in uwharrie and tellico NC in the states. Huge dust problem that caked my MAF sensor and put me in reduced engine mode (for multiple days, had to hit 2 dealers to clear codes and replace sensors). Basically limp home mode. What would you all think are the top ten issues to be concerned with for back up parts on this highly computerized machine.

I have a Paper Filter, I already know how bad K&N are in the truck with the oil on the MAF. This was a new sensor and filter, put in on friday and by Saturday afternoon, Reduced Engine Performance light was on. I don't have a snorkel, but I will after this week to help any way I can with this. I guess I am one of the test pigs, so be it.

I was thinking along the lines of MAF sensor, starter, alternator, cv joint, etc. things that would kill the ride for the day. These for a top ten. I want the real skinny for a kit. Mr. Green
 Who wants to play?  
Post #1634573rd Jun 2007 1:48 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

that's the first MAF issue I have ever heard off. There are loads of pictures of LR3/D3's being abused in the dust without any related problems. Was it 100% confirmed to be the MAF? My club just had a bunch of LR3's on the Mojave Road (138 miles of DUSTY trail through the Mojave desert), and none of them had any problems.

As for issues that will ruin your day, I assume you have air suspension. I have heard of line breaks in the pneumatic system. A few simple splice blocks and a length of tubing would be handy to have on board I would think.

Be knowledgeable on how to recover from a parking brake lockup (it can be released manually).

[edit: update 06/05/07]

Donate your GoodForOneYears to the local tire swing company and get some decent off road capable tires, and get a full size spare while you are at it.

Think about having a spare fuel pump and/or gas tank repair kit. I've gone through two tanks and my wheeling buddy with an RRS recently punctured his. The tanks are a bit low and the truck itself is not particularly far from the ground. In my case, I deformed the tank to the point where the fuel pump was either inoperable or ineffective. The pump is inside the tank, and the tanks are EXPENSIVE. No one makes a better skid plate for the tank as of yet. It would be a wise investment to fabricate something I think.

I can't think of much beyond that. Pretty reliable trucks really.

Last edited by nwoods on 6th Jun 2007 6:54 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1634613rd Jun 2007 5:47 am
LR3ROVER

Yup, 2 dealers blamed the sensor. Now whether they were right or not is another story. The codes they brought up said bad MAF. So what can you do? What other parts do you carry since I know you are one of the few who actually drive these trucks like I want too? Do you know if the cv joints are interchangeable? or does each one have a specific spot.(since there are 8 onboard)
 Who wants to play?  
Post #1635233rd Jun 2007 12:48 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Welcome to the board!

Like Nathan above, I also have taken my truck out into the desert a LOT. Enough to where the windshield needs replacing now because it looks like it has been sand blasted. (Never mind the big crack going across it from a rock!)

I have never had a problem with the MAF, nor have I heard anyone in the San Diego Land Rover club having a problem with it. I am wondering if it was just luck of the draw on that.

With so many computerized parts and pieces that can fail and leave you in limp home mode, I would think that you would almost need to carry a spare engine around to make sure you had all the parts. I would bring some high pressure tubing for the air ride for sure. CV joint is a good idea. Other than that, pretty much everything else is either tucked up where its not going to get banged up, or will be so hard to replace on the trail it would be a day-ender anyway. Have you already added additional undercarriage armor?

As far as a snorkel, the Safari snorkel is designed for the TDV6, I keep meaning to look under the hood and see if the airbox is in the same place and might work anyway. This leaves you with the official LR raised air intake.
 2005 LR3 HSE - ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, Custom Rock Sliders and Skid Plates, BBS Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, Kenwood TMD-700, etc, etc,
1965 Series IIA 

Post #1635333rd Jun 2007 2:31 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I have the LR snorkel, it's pretty good. It is not water tight, but as a raised air intake, it's almost invisible from the driver's viewpoint and does not make any noise at speed. It could be my imagination, but my throttle response seems a bit snappier after the install (in a good way).

I do wheel mine alot, but mine is a bit of an anomaly here in the States as it does not have air suspension or terrain control. There's little for me to worry about on the trail. All I carry with me is tire repair stuff, a full size spare, air compressor and basic tools (wrenches, tools, zip ties, tape, mulitmeter, etc...)....oh yeah, I also keep a little bag of misc plastic clips should I knock off any of the plastic trims along the way Smile

As for CV's, I am only aware of two CV's having let go, and seems to have happened in the same condition. In super extended mode, fully extended, and turning hard left. I am not positive, but I think the front and rear half shafts & CV's assemblies are interchangable, but you need two, one short, and one long. Take that info with a huge grain of salt. It was told to me by a LR mechanic, but I honestly have no idea if he's every tried it or even installed a CV on one of these vehicles.

Post #1635403rd Jun 2007 4:08 pm
LR3ROVER

Thanks Guys, this is pretty much what I guessed. You can't plan for everything, but a little planning never hurt.
 Who wants to play?  
Post #1635433rd Jun 2007 4:26 pm
LR3ROVER

Update:

The problem was a faulty fuel pump. It was running at 71psi instead of the 65psi which is needed. There was still a lot of dust so snorkel was installed. Hope all is well, will be testing it hard in Aug. in CO. 8)
 Who wants to play?  
Post #17784713th Jul 2007 9:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >