Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Problems with Discovery 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Disco 4

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Problems with Discovery 4

Hi all, i took delievery of my new Disco 4 XS in October 09, I previously had a D3 (very reliable) and the perfomance of the D4 is fantastic and the new layout is superb but I have has nothing but problems with the electrics, LR assist have been to the car 3 times and on the 4th the LR man told me over the phone how to get the car started as it had a computer fault, finally our local dealer who I purchased the car from took the car back two weeks ago and LR techinical have only just agreed to put a new computer in, but they are on back order and can not confirm when the car will be ready and were in the start of week 3 of no car, am I being hasty to say I want a refund/ new car like for like, they have given me a 07 freelander as a courtasey vehicle, to top matters off the dealer really have no interest that my car is in there workshop being used as a coffee table.

Advice please!

Post #5953812nd Feb 2010 10:23 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Welcome to the world of LR dealers.

I would put in writing to the both the dealer and LR Customer Services this is the last chance to fix the car, if it fails again with the same electrics fault you will be rejecting it.

Pom

Post #5953892nd Feb 2010 10:41 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Friends of mine still working at Jag, LR and Aston with them on the company car scheme say they are having lots of electrical gremlins on the early cars. Wouldn't think it untypical for any newly launched car by the sounds of things (or maybe we're just used to it after all these years...... Rolling Eyes )

Post #5953932nd Feb 2010 10:57 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

I maybe use Lawyers too often to get my way Whistle but I would seek legal advice and start the ball rolling.

Personally you may have had the car too long to reject it but you are covered by sales of goods act and fit for purpose etc

Keep the pressure on the dealer and via the LR heldesk route and also on the salesman who sold you it. He has a part to play in getting this sorted.

Post #5953962nd Feb 2010 11:02 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Try your local trading standards office. They are really useful and give great impartial advice. They can advise you to the nth degree of the law of have far reaching powers that just the threat of them making a visit will get people quaking in their boots. They will advise you of all teh relevent law statutes, what you are legally entitled to, what you can expect/demand and what is realistic. However if there is a breach of any law they will quickly take it "out of your hands" and that isn't always what you want (not until you've had your issues resolved anyway).

Honestly, give them a ring and have a chat.

Post #5953982nd Feb 2010 11:09 am
Disco 4

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for all advice, I gave the LR dealer & customer services the threat of rejection and they jumped to get things sorted for 24 hrs but all seems at standstill again, Customer services this morning reckoned they have loactaed the main computer but not sure when it will arrive at the dealer ( Hereford LR), to be fair the aftersales man at the dealership seems to be a good guy, but so fustrating as we are now in week 3.

My father in law is a solicitor and is jumping to write a letter under the sales of goods act but not sure if that will just make matters worse!

Post #5954792nd Feb 2010 1:29 pm
wilsonmg

England 

Disco 4 wrote:
My father in law is a solicitor and is jumping to write a letter under the sales of goods act but not sure if that will just make matters worse!

Get him to write the letter. . .hey, the LR salesman was quick enough to take your money. . . lets not forget, you have shelled out a chunck of money, you want it to work as advertised. . I doubt they will give you a refund for loss of use will they ??

good luck
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #5954882nd Feb 2010 1:48 pm
DiscoDC

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Disco 4

Our Disco 2.7 had a fault within two weeks and only 900k. The fault was supposedley fixed after a week and a half of waiting for a part. Then within the week, the same fault happened again. We expressed our absolute disapproval of this and advised that we believed the car was not reliable and also unsafe due to the faults. Within two days they made the decision to supply us with a new car. I was very surprised on how quickly they came to the decision. Still waiting for the car though. Like it was mentioned, much of our hard worked money is handed over to get one, which the dealership dont have any problem with putting the pressure on to make a deal. So in return we expect a good reliable vehicle with the customer service to go with. As far as I am aware, the purchase of the vehicle is a civil agreement between you and the dealership. So the pressure has to be put on the dealership whilst keeping LR customer service up to date to ensure the dealership are providing you with appropriate service.

Post #5959313rd Feb 2010 4:35 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

DiscoDC - very well said, you know it we know it but dealers still don't give two flying fecks about it once they cash in and that is reality so it is the only way to be pushy with them right from the minute you cross the door step ....

Post #5959483rd Feb 2010 7:16 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Disco 4,

There is no harm in "reserving your position" with a letter. However, at present the dealer/LR are trying to resolve the problem, notwithstanding the delay in so doing, and they are entitled to so do. As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, why not put a flag in the sand and make it clear that this is the last chance, after which time you expect them to supply a replacement vehicle that is fit for purpose or provide you with a full refund.

I don't think you've had it too long to reject it - there is a clear history of a fault(s), LRA call outs, etc. You have been patient thus far, and if the new CJB doesn't sort it, then LR are clearly clutching at straws as to what is the root of the fault. That cannot go on.

So, why not get a letter drafted and sent to the dealer principal, copied to LRCS and the LR Managing Director. If nothing else, it will focus their minds.

Post #5959513rd Feb 2010 7:24 am
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Having had to use lr customer service in the past I would deal with the dealer principal direct , lr customer services unless you are talking to the mangement team are less than helpful I would certainly get a letter written.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #5959523rd Feb 2010 7:27 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 
Re: Problems with Discovery 4

Disco 4 wrote:
just agreed to put a new computer in, but they are on back order and can not confirm when the car will be ready and were in the start of week 3 of no car

3 weeks of NO car and dont know when the part will be available, so are they saying LR are not currently building NEW off the line D4 as they are waiting parts. Shocked
I dont think so; and any guesses how many new cars have come off the production line during your 3 weeks waiting for parts??? Whistle Whistle
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #5959573rd Feb 2010 7:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Problems with Discovery 4

Popelka wrote:
Disco 4 wrote:
just agreed to put a new computer in, but they are on back order and can not confirm when the car will be ready and were in the start of week 3 of no car

3 weeks of NO car and dont know when the part will be available, so are they saying LR are not currently building NEW off the line D4 as they are waiting parts. Shocked
I dont think so; and any guesses how many new cars have come off the production line during your 3 weeks waiting for parts??? Whistle Whistle

thats pure 100% Censored the dealer has told you, no surprise at all. No way LR will tolerate a line stop for weeks let alone the penalty clauses on the supplier.

To the OP get a letter to the DP asap as already has been said, tell them you want a D4 runaround to put miles on as well while they look at yours.

Pom

Post #5959883rd Feb 2010 9:24 am
Disco 4

Well you've all gave me the urge to give it a final dress down tomrrrow, they promised to contact me today with updates of parts but have failed to do so...... even better the courtasey freelander has no TAX displayed as it is sitting on the service managers desk!

The letter is getting drafted and we'll see whta happens then. Thanks all.

Post #5963043rd Feb 2010 6:51 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I would

reject the vehicle if it were that new, couldn't be driven & the part in question is on back order
This is your right & the dealer has to act on the rejection by getting you a new car...

I have had to do this twice with Land rover

I wouldn't accept a new car at that cost that had a major issue as described
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #5963123rd Feb 2010 6:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >