DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Had a puncture today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Had a puncture today

Had a dilemma.

Absolute puncture on one of my 1 month old Pirelli ATRs today Big Cry on a very busy A24 dual carriageway just north of Worthing in rush hour (on hill down to washington roundabout if you know it).

I was in queuing traffic so no great dillema so pulled off the road onto the verge. Trouble was I was on grass so no way could I jack the car safely. The tyre was flat as a pancake. Called out breakdown cover (not LRA)

Trouble was, in the meantime the traffic jam cleared so felt very vulnerable.

Got out and out of danger, so that was fine.

Question is, how far (even at snails pace) can you drive on a completely flat tyre? Could I have driven 1/4 mile (bearing in mind it was traffic jam) at snails pace to get out of danger without risking damage to wheel and putting the car somewhere I could change the wheel?

The tyre has somehow got sidewall damage but don't know if that came from going onto verge to get out of danger or that was the original failure. Any which way, tyre is f*cked I think Big Cry .

Got 'rescued' by Westbourne Motors via Green Flag , who turned up within 30 mins and were very helpful and changed the wheel for me on the inside lane with the protection of their truck Thumbs Up
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
TDV6 HSE (2006MY - owned for 9 years and 150,000! - now replaced)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #55111114th Nov 2009 12:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sturge,

Glad you survived, 'orrible stretch that bit.......

The ATR's are usually pretty tough. Have you taken the tyre off yet to see where the fault was?.

As for distance on a flat, watching many Cop Shows on ITV, they get about 2 miles @ 70 mph Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #55111314th Nov 2009 12:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sturge

with the sparks flying though. My Rims are fecked enough as it is Laughing
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #55111414th Nov 2009 12:30 am
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

If you stop immediately and change it the tyre can often be repaired - even sidewalls although most tyre places wont tell you that! [Edit: See Methley's for sale thread for pics of vulcanised sidewall repairs!]

If you drive any distance on it, it's fit for the bin (and if you're not lucky the wheel too). I've done that before rather than leave the family and car in a risky place though - it's only money in the end.

ATR's are good tyres but the sidewalls aren't that tough - Glynne had one rip on Salisbury Plain earlier in the year. Glad you were sat in traffic not flat out on the motorway when it went!

Post #55112114th Nov 2009 1:21 am
Pelyma

England 

Not a nice piece of road outside of rush hour, when it's a car park, glad greenflag were good though. I have to say I'd get out the way, it is only a tyre. There are big grass verges there, I don't know if driving on them would help the tyre?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #55115714th Nov 2009 11:52 am
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I have fitted an after market TPMS system. See my gallery. It has saved me at least 1 tire with the early puncture warning and thus preventing sidewall damage. Easy to fit and very reliable. See http://www.digitire.co.za/TPMS-201-S.php or http://www.tyredog.zylux.com.au/

The Tyredog is the easier of the two to fit but not as reliable (faulty sensors after heavy off-road or water)
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #55135315th Nov 2009 3:46 am
ardler_dan

United Kingdom 

personally, I'd have left the car where it was (on the verge) and waited for westbourne motors.

If the family were in the car it's as been said before "it's only money", take it up to the nearest junction/layby and wait it out.

I know the A24 well and can understand your prediciment.

Did you ask the guy from Westbourne how their workshop was? (it flooded mid-week due to rain, as they were clearing it up a watermain burst and then one of the firebrigades pumptrucks stopped working.. they had a right fiasco lol)

Hope you get back on the road asap

Post #55144915th Nov 2009 4:17 pm
Sturge

If I had the family with me I would have limped to a safe location and trashed the wheel. As it was only me then I could get out of the way and leave the car for someone to sort. Thumbs Up
 TDV6 HSE Lux (2014MY)
Mini Cooper SD 5 door
TVR Chimaera 450
Series II 1960 Diesel 

Post #55188316th Nov 2009 3:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >