Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Purchase or no purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
wwg

Australia 
Purchase or no purchase

I am about to shift away from conventional sedans into 4WDs and am presently undertaking research on the brands and models. The Disco3 forum content would indicate the Discovery still suffers significant reliability problems, even with the new model. Is this so and would I regret purchasing a D3 because of reliability issues? Are these issues significant enough or does one assume the number of issues listed is relatively low as a proportion of D3's on the road? Would present owners purchase D3 again? I would also be keen to know what some of you who own the V8 are averaging re fuel economy (urban and hwy).

With kind regards and thanks for your time.
William - Adelaide South Australia

Post #6627025th Jun 2006 12:37 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Purchase or no purchase

wwg wrote:
The Disco3 forum content would indicate the Discovery still suffers significant reliability problems
Nope, there are very few issues with later builds and most of the earlier ones have been resolved
wwg wrote:
...does one assume the number of issues listed is relatively low as a proportion of D3's on the road?
Yes, absolutely. You rarely hear about the trouble free ones
wwg wrote:
Would present owners purchase D3 again?
Yes, without hesitation

Welcome to the site William Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #6627225th Jun 2006 12:43 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

My D3 is 7 months old and has not had a problem......It has put a great deal of pleasure into my life that has not been experienced with any motors in my 22 years of driving Very Happy It is the ultimate all-round driving experience.

My next motor will be .........hhhhhmmmm ...let me think....... Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 25th Jun 2006 1:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6627525th Jun 2006 12:51 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm already saving for my next Disco3 8)
As has been mentioned on here before, human nature is such that problems are magnified beyond their level of importance. Very few owners have experienced more than one issue, many have had no issues at all.
Many of the software fixes are to address issues that owner's won't 'see'

To my mind, the Disco 3 just keeps getting better Very Happy
I think it says a lot for the vehicle that most, if not all owners that have rejected their Disco3's have replaced it with another one

Post #6627625th Jun 2006 1:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

William are you considering venturing any further than well populated towns or are you going to remain a city slicker. The reason I ask is the V8 runs on PULP and you wont find a great deal of it outside of any civilisation and the diesel would be the better option in the bush and the touring range although marginal at best is far superior to the V8.

Post #6628025th Jun 2006 2:03 pm
wwg

Australia 

The D3 would replace my wife's current motor car and although a fair proportion of travel will be urban, I will steal it on many weekends for the purpose of towing off road bikes to various bush destinations. We have two pre-teenage boys who enjoy the outdoors and as such we also head bush several times per year on camping holidays. There are plenty of limitations with conventional motor cars and it goes without saying that a 4wd will provide plenty of latitude (and towing capacity) when it comes to destination selection.
Point taken re PULP, thanks. It is unlikely we will venture too far into the bowels of our wide land where petrol variety is scarce. My own motor car is not suited to more than two passengers for extended journeys, therefore the D3 would also be required for plenty of highway work as we visit family intra and interstate. I am attracted to the V8 for highway performance and towing capacity and am keen to "do my sums" on fuel consumption based on owner feedback rather than salesperson data.

Thanks for the responses, they are greatly appreciated. As a 4wd novice who is serious about making a transition away from conventional sedans, I am finding correct vehicle selection interesting and at times challenging. The number of 4wd (and the new breed of Awd) wannabies has increased significantly in the past few years, supported by the usual unsubstantiated claims about the capabilities of the product.

Post #6637326th Jun 2006 12:47 am
Pelyma

England 

I have bought a second, had no issues at all, not one single bong in 4500 miles. If you are towing the TDV6 has better torque than the V8, get it chipped and it will go like one too.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6639226th Jun 2006 9:35 am
catweasel

although I have only test driven the V8 and TDV6 (currently on order) I found the performance benefits of the V8 not worth the extra 6 grand and the fuel economy (or lack of) dissapointing. I have found you dont have to venture to far to find PULP hard to get whereas standard unleaded is readily accesible (but then whats the point). As for highway use its not far behind the V8 and with its huge torque towing should be a breeze and you never know, your expeditions once you have the 4x4 might become more adventurous and you could be kicking yourself later. I also found the diesel to be a quieter ride than the V8 IMHO. Go to a dealer who was both and drive them back to back for a couple of hours and you might be surprised.

Post #6639526th Jun 2006 9:42 am
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi William,
Just one word.....DON"T DO IT!!! Shocked

I was like you - only had sedans, then decided to go 4WD. Test drove my first D3 last year (an SE V6).....then I had to test drive the TDV6.....then I spoilt myself on my birthday and took another TDV6 for a LOOOOOOONG test drive.

Finally on the 29/03/06 I ordered my very own SE TDV6. I had no idea what I had led myself into. The last three months have been agonising.
A D3 advert comes on the TV, I yell at the kids to be quiet....I drive down the freeway into the city and spot a D3....I have to drive beside it and take in its lines. I JUST CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!!!!!!! The dealer has finally given me a landing date - 15 DAYS to go (but who's counting Rolling Eyes ).

The whole family is excited.....my wife pointed out a 4WD to our 8yo daughter and asked her what it was....her response..."It's not a Disco!"....from the mouths of babes. Wink Save yourself now. Stay away from those D3 dealers...the worst thing you could do is test drive one. Shocked Shocked

PS> Seriously, I didn't know anything about diesels nor 4WD's when I embarked on this journey - but cruise around this site for a while - it really helped me (thank you fellow Forum members Very Happy Very Happy ). We're not big offroaders (but would certainly like to do more of it) and needed to tow a boat. I was going for the V6, decided on the diesel (it was certainly no slug when I test drove it) for the towing and fuel economy, plus, I figured the resale value should hold better (a second-hand diesel shoudl sell easier then the V6 or the V8 for that matter IMHO), plus, the diesel keeps getting such a great wrap. Best of luck....hope you join us soon!!!
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #6643126th Jun 2006 12:18 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Purchase or no purchase

wwg wrote:
Are these issues significant enough or does one assume the number of issues listed is relatively low as a proportion of D3's on the road? Would present owners purchase D3 again?

Just a word from one of the very few V6 owners on this forum... Do it!
I have not enjoyed a vehicle more in my life and my wife loves it more than me Shocked . All vehicles have problems and forums like this do tend to focus on the issues rather than the good bits, so go ahead and discover more to life than your sedan. BTW, the V6 was steal at approx 8k less than the V8 and 13k less than the diesel. I figured that it's gonna have to depreciate a hell of a lot to make up that difference when the time comes to sell. Anyway, I'm very happy with the V6, I do alot of towing and some off road use and the car is great. I get about 13l/100kms on the highway and 18l/100km around the city. I'm waiting for the new V8 diesel to be released next year before I upgrade..... 220kW and 600nm torque Razz . Just the thing I need to rip out those stumps in my back yard. Wink

Cheers
Harry
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #6644026th Jun 2006 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Just to add, whilst my D3 is TDV6 and is a superb engine, I drove a Ford Explorer with the same 4.0 V6 petrol down the USA West coast this spring, 2000 miles, and I was impressed with the engine if nothing else! Smooth, quiet & powerful.

It was a little quieter than my diesel, and would rev very well and gave good acceleration. The only downside was it could drink when pushed.

Post #6644126th Jun 2006 12:55 pm
ontheridge

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi William,

As a first time owner of a real 4WD and LR Disco my TDV6 SE Disco3 is the best car I have ever owned & driven.

Sounds like we are very similar, I too ride trail bikes (KTM450exc) and bought the disco for a number of reasons, towing a bike trailer or caravan is a big thing for me - check my gallery. I have had the disco for 7 months, 15500km with a 3500km trip to Victorian high country with Jayco camper (1300kg). Numerous trips with bikes on trailer with gear and guys, the TDV6 is the only choice, over the 3500km with towing, mountain driving and highway driving it averaged 13.1L/100km, I dont drive slow when towing either.

Last week did a trip from Adelaide to Whyalla, Pt Augusta, Clare, Adelaide in the day, average 9.9L/100Km at average speed of 98.2Km/h total 789kms. Once again no slow driving, always at the speed limit and normally 115kmh on the highway. Best i have had was on trip to Pt Pirie where I got 8.7L/100km.

As for problems, my disco is 06' build delivered in Nov 05' so I believe most if not all old issue have been addressed, to date have only had 2 issues with software, radio didn't want to switch off and other was terrain reponse wasn't happy. Otherwise all is great, as the other guys on the forum told me, just buy one you'll never look back.

Best thing for me was the car was in stock, no waiting, signed the paperwork 2 days later drove it out the yard the same day I picked up my wife and brand new son from the hospital.

Cheers
Shaun
 D4 TDV6 MY13' - 2 weeks away!
RRS S/C MY10' - muchly loved and just gone
D3 TDV6 SE MY06' - loved and gone 

Post #6644726th Jun 2006 1:06 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Baggy,
When did you order? I ordered early May and still don't have a delivery date.....
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #6646726th Jun 2006 2:17 pm
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Haggis,
I ordered end-March but only got a firm arrival date 2 weeks ago (my dealer did guestimate mid-July delivery when I ordered).

Cheers.
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #6650926th Jun 2006 5:48 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks. My dealer's guesstimation of end August for an early May order is looking less and less likely..
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #6663527th Jun 2006 1:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >