Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

where to put a Toll Tag
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dave P68

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
where to put a Toll Tag

Hi, hopefully somebody can answer this question. I'm off to France in the summer, I've order a tag for the windscreen to make going through tolls easier.

I have just been reading about where to position the tag and there appears to be issues with Athermic windscreens and those that have screen heaters built it. So my question is, is my screen Athermic, it has a heater and so where should I position my tag. What's the official position and/or where have other D4 owners fitted there tags?

Thanks
 Discovery 4 XS
MY 12
Nara Bronze
Towing Elddis Odyssey 656 

Post #144239214th Mar 2015 1:20 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If it's same as D3 then the tag works fine in the dotty area around the mirror. Mine's heated but no idea if athermic or not. Never heard of them not working on a D4.

Post #144240414th Mar 2015 5:58 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
In the dotty bit

but get it right....?
before you use the sticky stuff ensure the place allows you to slide it out....which allows you to move it to another car... maybe lend to out to others (I did this last year with a work colleague)
&
get it in the zone that is blanked out by the mirror from where you sit....so it isn't a distraction
The same holder also works for the device that dos Irish motorway tools so I swap mine around

I have five - four for Irish motorways & one from France.......just check how easy it is to slide in/out one I got (sticky holder) was very tight & had to be fettled a bit

why four for Ireland ? - one for each car as you are told not to swap them a it burgers up the number plate recognition on the M50 & invokes the tag is stolen system...

note - the Irish toll E-Flow site gives specific instructions & they all work with heated screens perfectly (D3, FL2, JagXK)
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 14th Mar 2015 9:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #144240914th Mar 2015 8:00 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

It really depends how the tag reader is set up at each toll booth...as a long term user of Dartford Tunnel I have a Dart Tag (French system) . Mine is located as described above up high behind the mirror...more for not blocking my view than anything else..
What I learnt over the years was that certain booths read them differently. Certain ones would pick you up miles away yet others would refuse point blank to let you through. This necessitated taking it off its holder opening the window and waving it in the air like a madman to actuate the reader..
You could see certain lanes over the years were favoured by long term users who all appeared to have had the same issues.....

Post #144241214th Mar 2015 8:31 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
FarmerChalk

I've ben through 100's of booths over the last number of years in France & Ireland .....my tags have never failed once !
but having it easy to get out (the toll tag that is) is the one thing I was told by others.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #144241414th Mar 2015 8:34 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

BL totally agree and you posted faster than me.....I think the quality of the readers has definately improved over the years as the non read must be a common issue... Think Ford, Jaguar, LR etc. etc. all having common systems...

Lane 12 at Dartford always had a longer queue with Dart Tag owners as it had a faster read rate....now they've taken them down and replaced with ANPR which I think is actually slower than before...

Don't get me started on the foreign lorry drivers though who now drive through at will and are escaping payment.....

Post #144242014th Mar 2015 8:52 am
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
TAG

I have mine to the right of the rear view mirror in the black hatched area, works fine

Post #144245714th Mar 2015 10:22 am
Peters

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As you may guess I use mine a lot as with other guys right hand side of mirror hatched area is my position. As has been said make sure you can get it out as you may use it on other cars!
In my d4 I have to take the car right up to the barrier arm before its detected, nose almost touching but it has never failed to work.
The new barriers operating while you are on the move at below 30kph are excellent, as you will see by the numbers of lorrys using them!

Post #144250214th Mar 2015 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >