Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Putting up with LR cars... when is it time to move on!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
HSELR4

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Putting up with LR cars... when is it time to move on!?

I love my D4. Before this; I’ve also had an Evoque and a Disco Sport. My other half has an Evoque and other family members have LR’s ranging from full fat RR to Freelanders etc.

The common thread, unfortunately, is that they’ve all had issues of one sort or another. The worst was my Evoque went into limp mode in the middle of France and LR assist could not locate a hire car for us. So they paid over 1000 euros to get us to our destination on time (can’t fault the service). But when the car was repatriated, it was fixed and then the fault reoccurred. Was nothing major; just a hose cracked and come loose... but I’d lost faith in the car and didn’t want to travel across Europe again in that (something I do a lot).

And now, my D4 seems to be suffering a few niggles. It’s a MY15 and was approved used. 40k miles on clock. I’ve just had the restricted performance flash up. I was actually due to be on my way to France now! But had to delay the trip. This could have happened deep into France - and I’d have had a messy situ on my hands.

I think I’m tired of it all and whilst I love LR products; I’d rather a car that simply gets me to where I’m going without a fuss.

One question I have... if I went for a D5, but the 2 litre engine over the 3... I wonder if it’s less prone to issues?

Post #19708134th Aug 2018 10:56 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

D5 expensive and could still go wrong

Post #19708154th Aug 2018 11:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HSELR4

What other cars come close; but are more reliable?

Land Cruiser?

Post #19708184th Aug 2018 11:29 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You're going to do, whatever you're going to do. Rolling Eyes

Is there a car currently being manufactured that is totally faultless because I'm not convinced?
Whatever you get, could go wrong, might not, but could be a very expensive exercise to find out.

Good luck with whatever you buy, lets hope it's not worse than what you have...............it could be. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #19708194th Aug 2018 11:38 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Any of the VAG products with the v6 3.0tdi are damned fine machines, wifes on her third and whilst I dont like them (ride is rock bloody hard) I have to say they have been very good.
None were new and all had done at least 60k when purchased.

But if you go on any of the VAG forums theres pretty much all the same horror/dealer stories as on any landrover forum!

Post #19708204th Aug 2018 11:44 pm
HSELR4

Yes I’ve owned other brands; Mercedes, Jeep etc. None had as many issues and so I am thinking of leaving the fold. I don’t want to but I travel massive distances across Europe and need to trust the car I’m in.

Post #19708214th Aug 2018 11:45 pm
HSELR4

I’m thinking of researching Q7, Volvo XC90 and the like. Maybe a Jeep Grand Cherokee; air suspension and the same 4x4 toys. Not sure what to do but I need a luxury ride on road and a capable off roader for the snow / terrain I see when i arrive. A discovery was the perfect solution but... I’m losing faith.

My brother in law also has a D4; an earlier one. He’s also had a long string of small issues. One of which was the smart key not being recognised. I think I’m fearful of my next trip abroad; feel like changing cars before that trip comes around. Massive shame.

Post #19708224th Aug 2018 11:51 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

OK this might take a while Rolling Eyes

Its a fact of modern motoring that the complex systems installed to manage a vehicle's operation and performance, often carry with it a higher risk of component failure due to the sheer number of components when compared to much older vehicles.

In this LR are certainly no exception, and are perhaps more exposed to this failure rate as they employ more complex systems than your average daily runabout. Other manufacturers suffer this too, and there are reliability tables available online which indicate the better performing car brands.
For example, Lexus would appear to have a higher reliability rating than LR, but would you want to drive a Lexus?
And that really is what it comes down to! Lexus is a fine car with the refinement, quality, reliability and performance you would expect from a luxury car maker. However, in my opinion it has no soul, and I just couldn't live with one for any prolonged period.

Ditto for some other manufacturers in the same market segment, but there is perhaps a glimmer of light coming down the tracks as Hybrid, PHEV, and fully electric car technology is developed and rolled out across the LR range. Diesel really is a technology of the past, and in its modern guise it requires so much technical applications for environmental and power reasons as to reduce its reliability when compared with a diesel of 30 years ago.(power excepted)
Electric cars will be more reliable as there will be no engines and fewer mechanical components in the long run. Think of the electric appliances in your home and how often they breakdown! Now imagine increasing the reliability of that technology and putting it in your next car! LR shaved almost 500kg off the D5 compared to D4 which is why there's a 2.0lt variant. So I say bring on the electric Disco!

When all is said and done, why do you drive a LR in the first place? Perhaps if you want a LR experience it just has to be a Land Rover Smile

Post #19708245th Aug 2018 12:26 am
HSELR4

You make many good points!!!! All food for thought!!!!

Post #19708255th Aug 2018 12:43 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

PROFSR G wrote:
Electric cars will be more reliable as there will be no engines and fewer mechanical components in the long run. Think of the electric appliances in your home and how often they breakdown! Now imagine increasing the reliability of that technology and putting it in your next car!

I wouldn’t bank on it just yet. Reliability isn’t just about combustion engines. Reliability needs to be designed in and built in.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-tesla...rformance/
https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-tesla-reliable/
https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/c...tric-cars/

Post #19708265th Aug 2018 2:43 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Surprised to see BMW last , Skoda has certainally changed from yesteryear

Plus didn't know that , a D4 has the highest ground clearance

https://www.baztro.com/best-highest-ground...son-chart/

Post #19708275th Aug 2018 3:08 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Until we move to full electric vehicles, with less critical moving parts, I think it’s going to be a common theme.

Cars have generally got more reliable, but when an error does occur, the vast majority of people have no idea how to fix it. Most people struggle to fill cars with oil or check fluids etc! More stringent emission systems are forcing more tech into engines as well.

I don’t think it’s going to change any time soon, so you may as welll find a car you like and stick with it, unless it’s horendous!

Ideally, a straight forward petrol without turbo etc would be safest, but when you look at proper 4x4 like D4,, you still have transfer box, air suspension, diffs, propshafts and then all the electronic control systems.

One thing I do think is vital is find someone who knows what they are doing with the car you have. A main dealer often isn’t the best person to look after your cars, but I’m sure there are still some good ones about.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #19708295th Aug 2018 5:52 am
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

It’s probably the airflow meter on the filter box.
Mine just had one failed at 76k.
My other one did similar at 125k.
A friend had his failed at 50k.

Get the codes read, get it fixed and buy a spare one for on long journeys. Will need a cheat code reader also to decide which one is dead!

Far worse than that happens with LR!

Also far better option than the over expensive D5
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #19708315th Aug 2018 6:18 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I am in the same situation as you. In May we bought a 2016 Landmark. At the beginning of June we went on holiday for three and a half weeks to the South of France, towing the caravan. Just as we were about to board the ferry in Hull, the adaptive headlamp failure warning started flashing, but as we were on the ferry ramp....... Arriving at our first site, as well as still having the above, the cameras packed in, as did the parking sensors. After much thought (what would be next?), we decided to continue, and had a lovely holiday in spite of the LR.

Two days after we got home, the car was taken to the Dealer (10th July). It’s still there..........

In the meantime, we’ve got a 2.0-litre D5. It’s got a “chuckability” that the D4 hasn’t, but when needing to set off quickly from a junction, I would argue that it’s lag is dangerous, and certainly not something that I would live with. If this is indicative of the 2.0-litre, I wouldn’t entertain one. Also, we’ve had a number of rear seat passengers who have all said how uncomfortable (flat, low, and no support) the back seats are. On the plus, it goes well (once off the mark) and is more economical than the D4 as you would expect.

I have had the benefit of driving many other vehicles, including taking an XC90 to the Arctic. I was seriously interested in one of those, but was hugely disappointed with the road noise, and on one cold morning the centre screen was just blank. Great, as it controls the heating etc, so we couldn’t clear the windscreen, other than with the passenger scraping the inside using a credit card.

As tow vehicles, the Landcruiser and Shogun aren’t great. They are both unstable at speed and ride awfully. Plus, a friend of ours had a Landcruiser until recently. Granted it was a few years old, but he’d had it from new, had had it fully services by Toyota and had only done c.60,000 miles when the engine went pop. He ended up getting scrap value for it as Toyota didn’t want to know (so LR aren’t the only ones!) and the cost of replacement would have been almost as much as the car was worth (sound familiar). He soon went very quiet about the superb reliability of the Landcruiser when compared with LR products. We just have to accept that they’re all unreliable to a point.

I’ve really had enough of LR and their stupid issues, but it really is difficult to think of a replacement that is as good as the D4, unless we make a total change and go for, dare I say it, a car!

Post #19708455th Aug 2018 7:53 am
HSELR4

Wow, that’s very interesting about the Land Cruiser. As everyone has stated; modern cars have so much going on that faults can occur in any brand. I think that I’m just a little nervous because I travel very long distances and I’m sometimes in the middle of nowhere. Having been through the nightmare already, of LR products failing on me - and now another warning on my dash when I was supposed to be over in Europe. It’s like a sign to move on. But to what, I don’t know.

Another great point is to just get a petrol car, potentially 2WD and simply be free from all of the tech and mechanical issues that diesel 4WD’s have by their very nature. Thing is, I need 4WD... but I could go petrol; I could also lose the air suspension (even though I love it) - so will keep thinking.

If I only ever drove around the UK, I would just stomach the problems and keep the LR. It is literally, this horrid anxiety about driving it abroad and the saga that ensues when there’s a breakdown. I’ve experienced it before and can’t face it again. Despite LR assist being very good in that situ’.

I loved my Disco Sport. A more simple machine, boot was larger than I had imagined and 7 seats. That never actually produced any mechanical problems whilst I had it. BUT, it did suffer the dreaded ‘b pillar rattle’ which was born from (you guessed it) a manufacturing factory fault. The b pillar would tick incessantly, in hot temps and would drive me insane. The dealer agreed to me returning that car after attempted fixes didn’t work.

Ahhhhh LR. What are you doing to us!

Post #19708855th Aug 2018 9:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >