Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

For those who have or are px-ing their D3 for a D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

MartinR wrote:
I got 15 quid less from the dealer than the webuyanycar valuation... that on topic enough?

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah Bow down Bow down

Thanks Martin, will put it with the Wiggs info Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #52151017th Sep 2009 7:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I got offered initailly £19900, now £19300

Dealer offered £17500

Post #52151717th Sep 2009 7:32 pm
Watsonhomefarm

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've got a D4 XS on order from an internet broker, expecting delivery November. So I want to sell my D3 and also looked at WBAC, the figure looked good, even if they take a few hundred quid off for scratches, scuffs etc I might sell to them. Question

The issue with dealer trade-in prices is simple: you think you've got a good deal of a new car, then it's easy to forget that the actual costs to trade up is new car price minus your trade in. So dealers maybe give some on the new price but claw back their margin back through mean trade-in offers (and the buyer still thinks he's getting a good deal on the new car price so doesn't protest) Bow down

There seem to be very few D3s advertised by private sellers on sale in Autotrader currently, and a dealer I spoke to said they were short of used stock, so it's frustrating the trade in values aren't reflecting demand for used cars.

Post #52155317th Sep 2009 8:15 pm
MikeT

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have just been offered £250 less than the webuycar qoute by dealer and a 1.5k discount on HSE D4.

However two separate dealers quickly warned me that about the webuycar approach of 'negotiating' very hard about blemishes and reducing the quote offered. Said from experience not self interest (Honest!).

Post #52155917th Sep 2009 8:27 pm
microplantltd

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Once I have collected my D4 I will post on what you can either call my good discount or excellent trade in value. What matters is that you know how much your new D4 is and what your D3 is realistically worth. Once you know this you can see how good (or bad) the cost to change is. I think I have stopped on topic although I haven't really answered yet!
 Honestly Marge, I wouldn't have done it if I thought you would find out!
D4 HSE in Black
90 Defender TD5 2002 Blue with soft top
1998 LHD 110 CSW 300TDI Black
1986 110 CSW V8 White (for sale)
127 ex ambulance camper 300TDI White
1951 Series I 80" Green
195? Series I 80" trialler Green
1989 90 SW TD Red (for sale)

4 children!!! 

Post #52156017th Sep 2009 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

MikeT wrote:
I have just been offered £250 less than the webuycar qoute by dealer and a 1.5k discount on HSE D4.

However two separate dealers quickly warned me that about the webuycar approach of 'negotiating' very hard about blemishes and reducing the quote offered. Said from experience not self interest (Honest!).

You should be able to better this deal by quite a margin.

I think one of the problems here is that people generally have an overinflated view of the value of their PX asset; car purchase websites are, in the end, most unlikely to get you a better price - everything included. However, the used market is fickle.

I suggest that a Glass's Guide PX ballpark as a starting point is not a bad place - on the new vehicle 5% plus is readily available from main dealers.

Post #52160717th Sep 2009 9:22 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

WBAC.com offered 18460, the dealer has provisionally offered 19000 for my D3 "S". Going to see them friday on the way to D3 camping weekend Mr. Green
Neil you have a pm
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #52162617th Sep 2009 9:50 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I got £22k for 07 HSE from dealer (who "said" that was £1k over book). the wewantyourcar lot offered £22,400 on line if everything was "good". After 50,000 miles as a school bus, dog kennel, mountain bike carrier and transit van like load lugger - I suspect "good" would be stretching it more than a little bit. So quite happy with the pex deal. Couldn't wring too much off the HSE list price though as dealer was so sure he could sell it 10 times over and after seeing so little stock around and question marks over delivery period on new build (and associated fall in value of P/Ex) - I took the deal.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #52164517th Sep 2009 10:12 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

To be honest, my thing was kinda littered with faults (particularly the compressor that we found out was goosed and needed replacing), plus there is a leak down to the drivers footwell that I couldn't get rid of. Needed 4 new tyres, was up for MOT in a couple of months, I'm sure the front ARB bushes were going or gone, there was a huge scratch on the passengers door next to the handle...... I was very glad to take the 14.1 on offer, particularly since I bought it last Dec when prices hit rock bottom (12.5). It's now sittin on local independent forecourt for 16k.

Sure, I could have probably sold it privately and maybe got a few hundred more, but then the issue of "what's that light on the dash about suspension fault" would have came up, and all the hassle of selling privately etc etc. Either way, I was just glad to have a no hassle deal - drop the keys off to the D3 and drive off with my nice, fresh smelling, no scratch, suspension working, permagrin wearing D4.

Once upon a time I was more of an Arthur Daley... now I don't have the time, effort or enthusiasm for it Rolling Eyes
 If in doot, flat oot!! 

Last edited by Landylad on 18th Sep 2009 8:57 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #52166317th Sep 2009 11:04 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

landylad, the deal you got worked perfectly for you and as you said, the d3 wasn't "mint" so to speak, i don't think anyone would have done any different in your situation.and i don't think anyone is having a pop.

nice one fella, good on you.. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 one wife.......livid  
Post #52167217th Sep 2009 11:22 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

NeilD - will give you on topic reply next week after we pop into the dealer to see what they would like to offer to put us in a D4.

Neighbours round the corner have 59 plate HSE on the drive, assuming they use same dealer as us, don't really know them but plan to drop in and ask how they got on and see if they managed to get a good discount.

I think D4 HSe is about £47K list and would expect to see £4K off that based on online prices, and that if the dealer gives us an "ok" price for the D3 he can make a few £K on that as well.

Problem I expect is that our D3 is well looked after, apart from needing some new rubber I suspect they will be offering below what we expect its worth for private sale (hassle of such noted)

Post #52178718th Sep 2009 10:42 am
Ken

Neil if partexing it dont matter how much you are offered in Discount & howmuch they offer for the part ex its really the cost of change no more no less.

Two separate transactions are the best way Thumbs Up

Post #52179618th Sep 2009 11:37 am
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes Ken agree Thumbs Up . I was only talking with dealers about a cost to change figure that I was happy with, didnt really care about discount or px price as its all irrelivent.

I am now looking at the Pre Registered route Rolling Eyes , still not happy with the level of discount and px offered at main dealers. There is no shortage of D4's from what I can see as most can swap stock in group.

The issue is dealers are still wanting it at both ends - not prepared to do that.

So, autotrader.co.uk is being filled out as we speak for my 08 HSE and a Pre Reg is going to be ordered to my exact spec at 12% off list Shocked Shocked Shocked .

That's the plan anyway!
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #52179918th Sep 2009 11:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >