Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 68 <123 4 ... 666768>
Ecosse

Not sure that all LR staff fully understand the issue themselves! They replaced my removeable unit with another removeable one before the customer improvement notice, despite knowing it was used on a regular basis for heavy towing over long distances.

Raised this with Pete, as it is clear that they should have fitted the non-occasional use version, but all I've got is a suggestion to contact the dealer which is rather pointless since the replacement unit obviously hasn't had a chance to show wear yet as it's still new!! Can't see the point in LR having a rep on the forum unless he grasps such issues & is given the authority to take ownership of individual problems & see them through to resolution.

Is it going to take a serious accident - which could well result in fatalities should a trailer break loose - before LR replace on request without quibble all units in regular use with the heavy duty version and clearly mark the removeable units as for light use only (adding a supplemet page to the handbook is no guarantee that future owners will be made aware of the issue)

Post #139742729th Dec 2014 9:45 pm
The Wild Rover

As far as I can see the problem occurs because the old D3 tow bar doesn't have a ratchet mechanism to prevent the green handle from being shook loose by pull from the side, thus resulting in slight play wearing out the receiver. I checked with my dealer and found that the D4 hook has said ratchet and it's therefore impossible to move the green lever when it's locked. All that I want LR to do is to give me a free D4 hook to prevent further damage to the crossmember. Does anybody know if such a swap was ever carried out by LR? For a vehicle with the towing capacity of the D3 this whole issue is a farce and an embarrasment for LR and I can't see for the life of me why they haven't reacted earlier....

Post #139744929th Dec 2014 10:17 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I purchased a removable tow bar in February this year when I collected my used D4, but the green handle can be moved a great deal on mine and there doesn't seem to be any ratchet, although I have only removed it twice.

Even without touching the handle there is also side to side movement of the bar. Guess I will see what they have to say when it goes in.
 Andy

Post #139746129th Dec 2014 10:34 pm
derryfrombury

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Tow Bar

Can someone please tell me if this thread is current 29/12/2014 and that LR through its dealer network will be contacting all D3 registered keepers to advise appropriate steps, or is the onus on the vehicle owners.

Thanks - Derry
 Joined Aug 2014. Disco 3 SE 54plate, Buckingham Blue, Cream leather.
Defender 90 200Tdi (weekend toy)
TinTent - Coachman Pastiche 535/4
Supercharged Autobiography Grille
Tera-Firma black silicone intercooler/turbo hoses fitted Sep2014
Forum stickers, silver on rear, Orange in place of RFL disc 

Post #139748529th Dec 2014 11:20 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As the last post before yours was only 46 minutes previous, I'd say it is still current, yes Wink
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #139748729th Dec 2014 11:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
derryfrombury

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Tow Bar

Thanks Martin, I'll await the call from LR
 Joined Aug 2014. Disco 3 SE 54plate, Buckingham Blue, Cream leather.
Defender 90 200Tdi (weekend toy)
TinTent - Coachman Pastiche 535/4
Supercharged Autobiography Grille
Tera-Firma black silicone intercooler/turbo hoses fitted Sep2014
Forum stickers, silver on rear, Orange in place of RFL disc 

Post #139749729th Dec 2014 11:56 pm
Sion

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I emailed Hunters Land Rover Chester quoting the Q393 tow ball service action. I told them I occasionally tow a horse box and use the 4 bike rack most weekends. They got back to me straight away and I'm booked in on the 31/12/14.

Really impressed with them and the speed of response. I think it's worth while contacting your local dealer rather than waiting for a call, especially if you have bought your disco privately or from a non LR dealer.

I'm sure I would not of heard about this if it wasn't for reading it here. Once again this forum and it's members proves to be a valuable source of info for Discovery owners. Bow down

Post #139757830th Dec 2014 9:29 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ecosse wrote:
Not sure that all LR staff fully understand the issue themselves! They replaced my removeable unit with another removeable one before the customer improvement notice, despite knowing it was used on a regular basis for heavy towing over long distances.

Raised this with Pete, as it is clear that they should have fitted the non-occasional use version,

How would they have known what they should have fitted before if it was looked at before the Q393 notice ? Surely all you have to do is go back to the dealer and talk through what has previously been done and how that compares to the action required in the notice. What else would you expect the advice to be ? Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #139758330th Dec 2014 9:42 am
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mine in on the 12th of Jan. Mine has a fair amount of play when its fitted. It must rock back and forwards around 5mm and side to side is worse. Yet as mine had been in place at least six months and after i had sercum navigated the high security joke (lock) it still needed a couple of firm taps to remove it.

Post #139782830th Dec 2014 3:10 pm
Ecosse

DG wrote:
How would they have known what they should have fitted before if it was looked at before the Q393 notice ? Surely all you have to do is go back to the dealer and talk through what has previously been done and how that compares to the action required in the notice. What else would you expect the advice to be ? Confused

Quote:
"What your Land Rover authorised repairer will do
Inspect the condition of the tow equipment using a gauge special tool. Where the gauge indicates excessive wear, install heavy duty multi-height towbar equipment."

DG - the problem will be that it is not likely to show the excessive wear yet on the replacement, so lets hope they do as you indicate and compare it with whatever records they have of the original's condition!

Post #139786830th Dec 2014 4:31 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I would think they would have to understand your towing needs and the fact that it was worn from the previous visit and now that the notice is out with further and concise instructions, then fit a fixed for you ....if they refuse after that then I would be upset. Smile Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #139787530th Dec 2014 4:37 pm
Ian Donkin

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

They've checked ours whilst it is in for its warranty work and it's seemingly okay. As I don't tow (but will likely get a bike rack to go on the bar), I guess we are definitely in the occasional use category.

It will make me fit it in any event on return (slated for tomorrow) just to see what (if any) play there actually is...

Big thumbs up to the forum for calling out the service action Thumbs Up

Post #139788330th Dec 2014 4:48 pm
Sion

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mines in today to have the check. Got a phone call to say that the lock is completely seized and it's £78 for a new one with labour which I kind of expected. They have to get the lock off to do the recall check for excessive play. They said that there is a risk of breaking the tow bar when getting the seized lock off and that will then cost £600+. Big Cry I'm obviously not going to pay that. I'm shocked that the tow bar could break by just removing the lock. Hopefully it's just a very slim chance and they are covering their backsides.

Post #139824131st Dec 2014 9:48 am
DaveS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I currently have the detachable tow bar, which I use for a small trailer and a caravan. I intend to contact my dealer soon to get it checked and they may decide that I need the heavy duty tow bar to be fitted. I assume that this will include a flanged tow ball to replace my swan-neck version. Does anyone know whether the tow ball supplied by Land Rover is compatible with an Alko stabiliser hitch?

Post #139824431st Dec 2014 9:56 am
gavwhite1972

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BarossaDiscovery 4
Needing a tow bar

Hi everyone... am now back in the fold with yesterdays purchase of another D3.

I just picked the car up and although the key for the tow bar was in the glovebox, it appears the previous owner has taken the tow bar with him (apparently to fit on his RR).
Now I was going to buy a genuine LR detachable tow bar... however this thread got me thinking.

If there is a problem, would LR provide me with a 'correct' tow bar FOC as a D3 owner?

They can't check the condition of mine as it is missing... but then if it was a problem anyway surely they would provide a replacement?

Thoughts??
 Many Thanks
Gavin White

2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
2011 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE (Now Sold)
2006 Discovery 3 2.7TDV SE (Now Sold)
2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE with LPG Conversion (Now Sold)
2002 Range Rover 4.0 V8 P38 (Now Sold) 

Post #139862131st Dec 2014 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 68 <123 4 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >