DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 63 of 68 <123 ... 626364 ... 666768>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

ClassikFan wrote:
But I need the cross member checking to see if it's worth buying a hook!?

They won't check it without a bar
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #174800812th Dec 2016 10:58 pm
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have to buy one and then they take it away! Suppose I'll have to do it. Crying or Very sad

Post #174802712th Dec 2016 11:50 pm
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

So I called those nice people at Guy Salmon Thames Ditton.
The woman who answered my call checked with the workshop and they said that they can check my cross member without needing a tow hook.

Post #174819113th Dec 2016 12:10 pm
Soupy

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Tow hitch

I have just removed a solid tow hitch from my 2008 D3 and refitted the removable one, going to get it checked at the local dealer next week. Are there any other 'recalls' that they don't tell you about ?

Post #175552630th Dec 2016 12:00 pm
Andybeets

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Towbar

Hi fellas, had a nasty experience with the detachable towbar on my d3 ( 2006 well maintained) , was towing an 8x4 single axle braked ifor williams with 205 l of hydraulic oil and some pumps on board in a 30 mph limit, towbar detached and trailer hit a van and ripped the side out of it .
Luckily driver was ok , just badly shaken as I was to be fair. If the trailer had gone towards the pavement tho, there were pedestrians and an elderly chap on a mobility scooter that would have been run into, leave the rest to your imagination..
Previously had found JLR letter on internet so checked my towbar was secure, pin was well located and very little play, though as I am the 3rd owner and bought vehicle privately I don't have keys to unlock and remove it. I am not an expert on things mechanical but run a small business repairing machinery and decided this was safe and didn't bother ringing the dealer.
I tow the same trailer probably once a month and have towed all my life (48 y o ) , and the trailer was loaded in the correct manner , with no excessive nose weight , and it still detached unexpectedly.
Please, if you tow with one of these poorly designed devices , however infrequently, get a fixed one fitted for your own piece of mind....

Post #176868725th Jan 2017 2:05 pm
Griffmaster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I wonder whether your tow hook was of the early design with the smaller green knob?

I ask this as my first hook was of this earlier design and I found that when it began to wear, although at first a tight fit in its receiving slot, after towing a few miles the knob would rotate anti clockwise and the hook would move lower down in the receiver and would rattle around a lot.

If I pushed it back up it tightened again and the knob would rotate back to its home position.

When mine became loose, the pin which engages in the rear crossmember would retract under load to the point where only 2-3mm of the pin would be left inside the aperture.

If you poke your finger around the crossmember it can be felt just how much engagement of the pin there is.

I decided to buy a new one and then stripped the old one down to its component parts.

To my surprise the only thing stopping the pin pushing backwards was a strong spring which were it to have broken for instance, there would not have been anything to keep it in place, there was no cam or such like behind it.

The locking pin operated by the key did not register in a size for size hole and was free to move quite a lot until it hit a stop.

The knob on mine could be rotated withdrawing the pin to the degree above without either the key being inserted or pulling the knob out first.

The later design knob, all be them plastic! has ratchet teeth moulded into it and has to be pulled outwards at all times before it is free to rotate.

The back end of the pin has teeth cut into it and the whole deal works on a rack and pinion principal with the pinion being fixed to the green knob and towing forces constantly are trying to push the pin/rack back against spring pressure alone - early design.

Click image to enlarge
 2015 D4 HSE in Corris Grey
All below gone but still with happy memories
2010 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey
2006 D3 S in Zermatt Silver
2001 Td5 Oslo Blue
1993 300Tdi Arken Grey 

Post #176904525th Jan 2017 10:55 pm
Andybeets

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Griffmaster, guy salmon Stratford took loads of pictures and the techs at JLR said that although the crossmember wasn't excessively worn , the towbar was damaged during the accident and so inconclusive as to why it failed. Will take it apart tomorrow and have a butchers to see what type it is , thanks for the reply

Post #176906625th Jan 2017 11:23 pm
v8wds

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

in reference to faults on tow hitches my nice removable tow hitch was replaced without discussion by main Agent with what looks like a part removable tow hitch but with two support bars they are bolted ? so therefore its not being replaced with a like for like hitch ? has anyone had the same experience ? i have owned landrovers for many years and towed trailers since my rally days 40years there was no sign of wear on the ball i check it regularly so what is wrong with these removeable hitches ?

Post #178149521st Feb 2017 12:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi
The wear is not ball related its the docking station area that is the issue .
the point that accepts the spade end of the tow hook.
Some have reported a clunk noise whilst towing , JLR claim this is a direct result of leaving the tow hook in position permanently , something JLR claim it is not supposed to do.
when left in position corrosion can occur , this is the clunk and in some unfortunate cases the corrosion has led to the ball detaching and loss of what ever is being towed .
your replacement will be the fixed version with the support stays either side to the chassis , its an upgrade really for you .
JLR usually test the docking socket before fitting the tow bar you have, they would have left it if no play was found when tested
if it was ok they usually put a service advise document in your handbook explaining the correct usage of the tow hook.

Post #178151321st Feb 2017 7:30 am
DaveS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

v8wds wrote:
in reference to faults on tow hitches my nice removable tow hitch was replaced without discussion by main Agent with what looks like a part removable tow hitch but with two support bars they are bolted ? so therefore its not being replaced with a like for like hitch ? has anyone had the same experience ? i have owned landrovers for many years and towed trailers since my rally days 40years there was no sign of wear on the ball i check it regularly so what is wrong with these removeable hitches ?

That is the fixed towbar.

Post #178154621st Feb 2017 9:18 am
focus340

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

So, had my first recall done mid-2015 and was given the all clear by Listers in Hereford. However, the back end of last year started to experience a few knocks and bangs when towing my race car.

I spoke to LRUK for guidance on having a second check done and they were more than happy for me to go ahead...took it to Hunters in Guildford today and it's not good news. They've told me the rear cross member is beyond rusty and the whole lot requires replacement. I am happy with this, well sort of because I need to be able to tow next Friday which I doubt it'll be fixed in time.

But my main cause for concern is that surely it couldn't have rusted to the levels that it had in the space of 18 months. Quite concerning really as to whether the initial check was actually done correctly. I did inform them on both times that I regularly tow a 2.5t car transporter with race car.

Fingers crossed it doesn't take an age to get booked in and sorted my first race of the year is in 3 weeks!
 Ted

D3 HSE | 19" GG AT3 | Mantec Sump Guard | Front Runner Rack | LR ladder | F+R Light Guards | EGR blanked | Decat | RS500 Intercooler | Tuff Trek TT-H1 awning | T Maxx Split Charge | IID Tool | Prospeed rock & tree sliders | V8 Front brakes 

Post #178185121st Feb 2017 10:18 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

How regularly do you tow and do you just keep the tow bar on all the time?

Post #178186321st Feb 2017 10:48 pm
focus340

I tow a couple of times a week on average.
 Ted

D3 HSE | 19" GG AT3 | Mantec Sump Guard | Front Runner Rack | LR ladder | F+R Light Guards | EGR blanked | Decat | RS500 Intercooler | Tuff Trek TT-H1 awning | T Maxx Split Charge | IID Tool | Prospeed rock & tree sliders | V8 Front brakes 

Last edited by focus340 on 8th Mar 2017 1:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178187121st Feb 2017 11:07 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds like you are better off having a fixed towbar fitted then anyway.

Good result getting one for free.

Thumbs Up

Post #178227422nd Feb 2017 8:52 pm
focus340

So LR customer service have just gotten back to me and are unwilling to pay for the repair work etc that's required. I told them that I regularly tow a car transporter trailer and upon my inspection it was deemed my cross member and bar were damaged and should no longer be used.

Evil or Very Mad

Does anyone have any useful avenues/information I can pursue to get this reinvestigated as quite clearly it is extremely poor customer service.
 Ted

Post #17887778th Mar 2017 1:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 63 of 68 <123 ... 626364 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >