Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

question for awd man? anyones help appreciated?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pikey2

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4
question for awd man? anyones help appreciated?

i really like the look of your rrs y spoke alloys, i have been doing some research and have found a set of these at wheelbase who are offering them on 29540 20 toyo proxes st extra weight tyres?

do you think they will be ok as i have been reading your previous threads about rubbing etc, which scares me half to death!

cheers

Post #5583861st Dec 2009 12:20 am
al cope

England 

Censored - you still havnt got the message about tyre weight ratings have you.. The 295/40x20's will probably be 106, or 109 rated, which isnt enough for the D3.

I've run two sets of the Vspokes (pics in gallery), one set with 274/45x20s, and the other with 295/45x20s, and both cleared the suspension, but only just with the 295s. Some folks have needed to use spacers (not sure why, maybe play in the bottom suspension letting the top of the wheel move further in), but the Stormer and Vspoke, if genuine LR are the same width and offset, so you would have the same issue with either style.

As wheelbase are traders, ask them for a price with the correct tyres.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5584341st Dec 2009 9:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pikey2

hi al, bye joe i think i've got it? bloody ratings!

just been onto wheelbase they can do me 20" stormers or 20"sport style on khumo 295 45 20 rated 112xl

£995 for the stormers £1150 for the y spoke, which ones do you think look the best baring in mind the car is silver?

cheers

Post #5584921st Dec 2009 11:40 am
al cope

England 

now theres a question - which is best Whistle

I always wanted the Vspokes, as Stormers were a bit to "common" Rolling with laughter , but after fittng a set of Vspokes on my Tonga Green D3, I just wasnt happy with the way it looked, so took them off and went back to 19" RRS alloys. After a while tried again, still wasnt happy, so in the end went for Stormers - why hey - looks great (is this bloke mad you may ask).

So my opinion is that Stormers look good on a dark coloured car (I've got Stormers on my latest Teal one), and that VSpokes look good on a lighter coloured car (like AWD's, and his is Silver)

my tu'penoworth

Al

PS - I've run 275/45x20 (crap Nexen tyres - just rubbish), 295/45x20 General Grabbers, great tyres, but being a bit wider pulled the car about on roads where the surface was rutted), and now run 265/50x20 Yokohama's, which seem to give me the best ride, no tramlining, and no issues with clearance (which I never had anyway but others have)
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #5585101st Dec 2009 12:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AWD man

England 

Cheers Al you seamed to have covered all the bases

Censored , the 3mm spacers from Halfords solved the issue (I'm not sure why my truck had these issues, as Al said the offset of the Stormers and the V'Spokes are identical) but it did and I found a solution (eventually!).

I love both the Stormers & the V'Spokes, and both really suit the car ( & LR designs).. so it's down to personal choice in the end.
IMHO The Stormers have more of an "Off Road" feel to them, with the grooved spokes implying extra strength, where as the V'Spokes look more road orientated, with the smooth spoke faces giving a wider, sleeker profile (especially when viewed while following in another vehicle) even though they're the same as the Stormer in Offset.

My D3 came with the V'Spokes on, and was running on Continental 275/40/20's (106 rating) which looked very weedy (in profile) and were almost down to the legal limit, were deadly if you came across standing water, and were probably un-insurable due to the lower weight rating.. so I plumped for the Generals (and 3mm spacers) which I'm very happy with and look much meatier and at home on the Discovery.

Like Al, the Grabbers do tramline a little, but no more than I'd expect from such a wide tyre and much less than the 245/40/18's on my Impreza
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #5592892nd Dec 2009 3:19 pm
AWD man

England 

I've just looked at your V'Spoke pics Al... isn't that strange, they didn't suit your colour at all did they. Almost look too small, which at 20" is crazy.
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #5592952nd Dec 2009 3:44 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

pikey2 wrote:

£995 for the stormers £1150 for the y spoke, which ones do you think look the best

If you really cann't make up your mind, go for the Stormers and save yourself £155.
You can then buy us all a beer for our patience in putting up with you.

Laughing

btw, have you thought on Black wheels for your Silver D3.
IMO that works quite well.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #5593032nd Dec 2009 4:02 pm
pikey2

thanks awd, al, ronpr.

and your beers in the post ronpr!

p.s just picked up my 4.4 v8 this morning, i cant get over how powewrful and smooth the ride is compared to my x5. it has the 19"hse wheels on, which to be honest don't look out of place either. i will have to mull it over?

onto another subject, i was a little worried regarding mpg but can confirm on a trip back from harrogate to wigan [a roads and motorway] 26.2 mpg!!! how good is that!

thanks again chaps i know i've tested your patience overthe last couple of days!

cheers

Post #5593272nd Dec 2009 4:56 pm
al cope

England 

no problem, cheque in the post will be fine Whistle

hope you enjoy your new toy - and ask away, one thing this forum isnt short of is opinions.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #5593792nd Dec 2009 6:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >