DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

A few questions on gearbox oil flush/megaflush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bulatovic

Yugoslavia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
A few questions on gearbox oil flush/megaflush

hi guys,

having gotten my new D3 back on the road from compressor failure, it's time to tackle the gearbox judder.
It's got 207,000km on the clock and 0 oil changes so far.
Actually it just got one drain and 5l of fresh Ravenol 6HP, but it's not 100% smooth, still some fluctuations in RPM when about 1,800rpm and driving on a level road...
Anyhow, i got two tubes of Shudder Fix and one bottle of ATF additive from Lubegard i want to add, but would like to have a full machine flush done before.
Finding indies with these machines in Serbia is quite hard, but i managed to find one that will do the flush with a Magneti Marelli machine while i would supply oil - i'd go with Ravenol 6HP as price i can get is quite good (GBP 6.9 per litre) and the service guys would charge me slightly over 100 quid for having the machine work - overall i think a great price.

Would appreciate your help here - how much oil should i get for the full flush?

Also, i am going to change the filter, along with the metal sump - what's the logic here? - first do the machine flush with old filter in place, then remove the fresh new oil from sump and fit new filter - return the drained fresh oil / or fill with new 5 litres?

Many thanks in advance!!
Best
Luka

Post #215001529th May 2020 7:17 am
Bulatovic

so after some searching i found that roughly 10 litre is capacity of gearbox incl. cooler, so would 13l of fluid be sufficient for the machine flush?

Also, would you say it's best to:
1) do a machine-flush, then after that change the sump and filter, -refill with new 5 litres of atf and add the shudder fix at the end
2) change the sump and filter, fill 5 litres of fresh oil, do the machine flush, change the filter only, 5 litres of fresh oil and additives at the end
3) change the filter and sump before the flush, machine flush and add additives.
4)?

would appreciate any comments on what you think would be best way to sort out the twonk of a box i'm having at the moment, as after 5 litre change of oil it ran great for say 400 miles, then carried on as usual again.
I am reluctant to put additives in anything other than super fresh and clean oil, or should i do it now anyhow?

cheers
Luka

Post #21510302nd Jun 2020 2:55 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

you can do your own flush if you want

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/filos-autob...light=filo

7 litres would be plenty for one flush with that method.

Otherwise.

Flush - Drive and see if it has improved.
Change filter - Drive to see.
Add additives (keep away from your skin)

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/advice-addi...9-135.html

Post #21510322nd Jun 2020 3:08 pm
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I will give you an honest answer that some will disagree with

I wish I had never had mine done at 109k, full transfusion flush by a reputable garage ,no issue with what they did], at about 115k I got some issues with vibrations that got progressively worse, not much judder if any, i thought cant be the box can it ?
however the more I researched assumed it was the box so I stuck 2 number Dr tranny in and it cleared up , I notice its only very very slightly present .

I thought I was future proofing ,as yours is a lot higher mileage im not sure changing the fluid or additives will cure a box that will be very tired .May be recon time.

I know im on borrowed time with 125 now on the clock

Post #21510402nd Jun 2020 3:31 pm
MikeBob

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I change the sump first then use the machine to refill the oil and continue with the flush. I normally bank on about 14 litres for the flush but depends how dirty the oil oil is

Post #21510422nd Jun 2020 3:41 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

daftlad wrote:

I wish I had never had mine done at 109k, full transfusion flush by a reputable garage ,no issue with what they did], at about 115k I got some issues with vibrations that got progressively worse, not much judder if any, i thought cant be the box can it ?
however the more I researched assumed it was the box so I stuck 2 number Dr tranny in and it cleared up , I notice its only very very slightly present .

I thought I was future proofing ,as yours is a lot higher mileage im not sure changing the fluid or additives will cure a box that will be very tired .May be recon time.

You were unlucky, but 109k miles is way past the lifespan of the fluid. It should be done at between 60 and 80k miles max, and then every 40k after that.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #21510432nd Jun 2020 4:02 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My D3 with “only” 159k Kilometers on its clock, had significant judder under load.
I changed , just changed the Torque Converter with a refurbished one, AND emptied the autobox completely and fitted a changable filter with metal “sump” , new oil, and smooth as baby skin..... no judder, nothing..... like new..

I was just thinking, i can flush it, pay for that, and oil... is also not for free....

With these kilometers, you know that it is in need of a new CV in the Near future anyway.. why spoil money now and very soon again....

Glad that i did it now.... Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21510642nd Jun 2020 5:55 pm
Bulatovic

Seems like hauling 3 tonnes is a bit of a workout for the poor TC on these monsters...
I do get that at 130k miles with 0 previous oil changes it's nearing its deathbed but since the additives are at hand, so i will give it a go... i've read many miracle stories about the shudder fix, so fingers crossed it will give me a year or two of shudderless motoring...

For some reason i am a bit skeptical when it comes to local Serbian automatic transmission gurus playing with it for 2 weeks and charging me 1,700 eur, and would prefer to get a factory rebuilt one for 2000 eur.
Now, TC swap would be something in between - labour plus 600-700 eur with no idea will it fix the issues - no idea of the state of the valve body, clutches, etc...

So i thought i'd go either the cheap route - fluid and additives - fingers crossed it works, if not - getting on the line with Germany and ordering from ZF a new box.

Or i might be stupid here and there's any other options i'm not considering and should?

cheers
L

Post #21510922nd Jun 2020 7:46 pm
daftlad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

PROFSR G wrote:
daftlad wrote:

You were unlucky, but 109k miles is way past the lifespan of the fluid. It should be done at between 60 and 80k miles max, and then every 40k after that.

Understand that mate , mine came from Landrover as ex lease so looked after by them with a FDSH, if they don't do the gearbox service as other manufacturers do that use that box under the guise of extended service life we are where we are with these boxes .
Bit of an update, the judder I thought was still present may have been related to some suspension bush wear , im thinking this because I have just had all the bushes done front and rear along with 4 new tyres and its like a new car , the faint judder/vibration has gone for now .
fingers crossed

Post #215441416th Jun 2020 2:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >