Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

RAC warrenty - read the small print
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
RAC warrenty - read the small print

Given the various conversations about extended warranty once the LR warranty expires, I had dug around and decided to try the 2 year extended warranty from the RAC.

WRONG…. Their sales blurb says car must have been serviced in line with manufacturers schedule, which mine has. But once you get the policy docs it then says it must have been serviced within the 12 months prior the the warranty start date, and with my D5 having a two year service interval it’s was more than 12 months prior.

Move to now and I submitted a claim as the damper pulley driving the main belt had failed on mine and had to get recovered home, and they won’t cover it as due to the above criteria my policy is invalid.

Only consolation is they are refunding my premium in full.

So back to the main question, who to go with for extended warranties

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #223743321st Jun 2021 4:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Warranty direct are taking new customers again but its not the same WD as was - its a new company so same small print check applies i'm afraid
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #223743621st Jun 2021 5:04 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Think the only one, although expensive, would be the LR branded one.

Post #223745221st Jun 2021 6:22 pm
Duc750

don't use the JLR one if you want stuff actually covered
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #223745621st Jun 2021 6:38 pm
JordsDisco

I’d heard they were quite good and stuff not covered by the warranty was covered by goodwill by LR.

Post #223746221st Jun 2021 6:57 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Good luck with that. Thumbs Up

Post #223746421st Jun 2021 7:06 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I've had a quote from the new warranty direct, sent by post as my original 3 year WD policy is coming to an end. Was based on an estimate of mileage which reduced when I rang them with some queries today and gave them the actual mileage. They are obviously new, so it's a bit of a gamble.
The quote was for one year, was obviously much more expensive than my previous warranty and they had based the quote on an excess of £150 which is their standard. I got a quote for a £50 excess which I currently have and cost went up about £200. Includes MOT cover, which covers things that would cause the car to fail the MOT that are not covered under the standard warranty cover. Example given to me was brake slave cyclinder, discs , but not sure I really see the point of that cover . The car would have to be considered 'dangerous' to drive in order to claim on this cover .
It does provide roadside breakdown and at home cover with AA but not recovery or onward travel (although you can pay the AA at the time for these services). I asked the 'Crank' question and yes the crank and bearings are covered. Can't remember how we got onto it, but the exhaust manifolds are not covered. (would have to check whether these are covered under the current (old) WD policy.
Interested to know if anyone else has any experience of the new company
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #223748221st Jun 2021 8:22 pm
Duc750

JordsDisco wrote:
I’d heard they were quite good and stuff not covered by the warranty was covered by goodwill by LR.

Thats the second funniest thing i've heard all day "LR Goodwill"
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #223761822nd Jun 2021 1:17 pm
JordsDisco

Must be the way you speak to them Very Happy I’ve had it twice, once for the crank sensor and the second for discs all round, both outside the manufacturers warranty.

Post #223763222nd Jun 2021 2:21 pm
Duc750

Don't get me wrong I've had money out of Land rover but never goodwill only when I've got them to a point they can't possibly wriggle out of it
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #223763722nd Jun 2021 2:41 pm
Dave T

England 

It’s such a lottery, in the past month or so I have heard of a RRS with crank failure where the offer was next to zero and a D4 about the same age and milage that was paid 100%. Both out of warranty and circumstances seemed almost identical.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #223765022nd Jun 2021 3:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >