DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Radiator Pack + Mud = problems... help?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jetlag

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Radiator Pack + Mud = problems... help?

Gents (And ladies if any on here)

As some of you may know I have been on a long path of figuring out why my temp gauge bounces under load ie deep sand or long steady uphill.

Things I have tried:

1. The spotlights.... That was my first check to see if they arent blocking airflow. Removed them for testing and the temp still bounced.
  2. Replace Thermostat + Housing which meant had to bleed the cooling system and replaced those darn spring clamps with screw clamps
  3. All seemed fine until one of the clamps came loose on the thermostat and lost all my coolant while driving. Doing a quick roadside bleed the problem never did go away
  4. Then purchased the most amazing device, a Uview 550000 coolant vacuum bleed tool to check for any air locks / leaks and none were found. System bled in a matter of minutes and off I went to the Kruger. On the way there no temp bounces. On the way back it was a disaster, temps were 40c outside and on every hill the temp bounced.
  5. Then a wise fellow forum member from another forum suggested that it could be mud in between the radiator and intercooler so took the car for a under body wash. Loosened the guards under the bumper and must have spent a good 45mins pressure washing the Radpack. The amount of mud that came out is mind boggling and the only thing I can think of is those 60,000km+ spent on dirt / mud roads throughout Africa...
  6. The problem seems to have solved itself 99% as there was 1 temp bounce which means there is still mud lodged in between.

So my question to all the Gurus/geniuses out there, without removing that radiator pack - is there any way to get all that mud out? If not then Ill have to remove it all and give it a proper clean. Also any hints and tips to remove the radpak would be greatly appreciated Big Cry

Photos below of that awesome under car wash place in Northgate, Johannesburg! Highly recommended after any trip

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE with Compomotives, BFG 265/65R18s, BigCountry drawer system, Melvill & Moon covers, NL 52L fridge, FR Spare Wheel Carrier, FR Roof Rack, Tenco RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, dual spots, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, Icom ID-5100, Icom ID-51 as secondary, IIDtool BT
Follow my adventures on Instagram @XpeditionAfrica

Post #199067010th Oct 2018 2:33 pm
gseum

Germany 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

I got my radiators out of the car and even than, there was no chance to properly clean them. I replaced the radiators to new ones - in Germany a short way from GB and not very costly.
 Discovery 4/LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 MY2010 // Volvo XC60 II T8 Inscription Fusion Red MY2020 // Hyundai Kona Electric Trend MY2020 // Bürstner TravelVan 620G MY2020  
Post #199295418th Oct 2018 7:09 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You have to be very careful when pressure washing any of the rads a/c, i/cooler and the main coolant rad, as if you deviate the lance and its jet from any postiion aprt from dead square you will bend all the little fins over.

Post #199298118th Oct 2018 8:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >