Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Radio receiver poor reception
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Radio receiver poor reception

Anyone notice the reception on both am and fm at least with standard audio is poor. fm will go sratchy and sometimes am will disapear completey. Confused
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #676933rd Jul 2006 12:26 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have perfect FM Reception on my Hi ICE Receiver. Shocked

I get scratchy AM, if I enter underground carparks etc.
 Dave

Disco Dreaming 

Post #676943rd Jul 2006 12:44 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello caverD3! Welcome to the forum! Very Happy
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #676973rd Jul 2006 1:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I must be a boring old fart, I must admit that I haven't even programmed the radio for FM reception. But I have noticed that AM reception will fade or disappear when driving under bridges and I have the basic radio.

Also, caverD3, I like the signature that you use. I have always thought that "Getting there is half the fun". The other half is coming back in the D3. Who cares about the destination, unless it involves the D3?

Welcome to the forum.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #677023rd Jul 2006 8:09 am
caverD3

thanks for welcome note
my am reception disapears in the city at times and unless i pretty much have line of site to fm transmitter it will get scatchy
dealer said they were aware of the issue but did not have a fix
ps half the fun is the caving the other is getting there in a D3
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #677123rd Jul 2006 9:25 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
FM reception

Hi CaverD3,

I don't suppose you tinted your windows did you? Shocked

Your reception will be affected if they used metallic film on the rear side windows which house the antenna.

Welcome to the forum... Very Happy

Moby
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #677473rd Jul 2006 12:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

mobyone - I have read both here and in other places about metalised film having an effect of some sort. But correct me if I am wrong. I thought that most if not all of the radio waves that the aerial would receive would be outside the car therefore the application of a film would not have any shielding effect.

I can understand a deleterious effect if a receiver (GPS, hand held device, etc.) is inside the car but not otherwise. Can anyone shed some light on this? (What about ground plane effect??)

CaverD3 - I do not drive into the CBD too much so I gather that the shielding caused by large buildings would have an effect on reception both AM and FM. I do not know if that is the case for you. And the D3 will definately be able to take you closer to the caving that you enjoy and do it in so much style.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #678253rd Jul 2006 11:44 pm
caverD3

Thanks guys Smile
No film on windows, )dealer did ask me if wanted fries with it and had to be persistant in saying no!) I have read on other posts that metalised film can affect the signal.
In comparison to other vehicles I have owned the radio reception is poor, notably so when compared to CD. However reception is good when there is a strong signal. I suspect this may be due to the receiver not being suited to sydney conditions (hilly topography, ther are quite a few mobile phone drop outs as well) Is there anyone in Sydney who has the same problem? Workshop foreman said he has the same complaints from hi-ice owners as well although more notably with AM.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #678354th Jul 2006 12:17 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The 'on-glass' antenna is very inefficient compared to an external metal whip; in Europe and most of the US, both AM and FM stations are a lot thicker on the ground than they are here and thus signals are stronger and the antenna on the window works fine, but get into the bush or even some city areas here and you will lose the signal.
It is possible to fit a whip antenna - if you can find somewhere to mount it....
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #678654th Jul 2006 1:19 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >