Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Radio Silence - What's Wrong?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Radio Silence - What's Wrong?

I have an 05 TDV6 SE with the premium audio system. Jumped in the motor to drive home from work tonight and I have no sound from any station on any frequency on the radio. All was working fine this morning and I haven't touched anything since switching the engine off on arrival at work this morning.

All stored stations are displayed as normal and the frequency scan feature will scan and store stations but there's no sound at all. I've checked the volume settings and they are on about level 18 as normal. CDs are playing normally and the voice prompts are working ok on the Sat Nav.

Any ideas? Have only just got the motor back after it spent 10 days at the local stealer's whilst they diagnosed and eventually replaced a dead FBH and the last thing I want is to put it their way again! Big Cry Big Cry

Last edited by philhunt on 24th Jan 2008 5:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #24987323rd Jan 2008 8:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had the same thing once only last november. CD worked fine, but radio and AUX input were silent, having just worked for 2 hours. Solution was to turn the car off for 20 mins and it then all worked again........ Question
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #25003123rd Jan 2008 11:35 pm
philhunt

Radio Silence

Thanks for the reply - you've given me some hope! There's not much logic in this problem - if nothing worked, finding the solution may be easier!

Fingers crossed that the radio will spring back to life when I start the motor in the morning! Thumbs Up

Post #25003823rd Jan 2008 11:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MX

United Kingdom 

yep - had exactly the same problem last year and the 20 minute reboot process worked for me too!

good luck

Post #25005023rd Jan 2008 11:58 pm
philhunt

Radio Silence

Held my breath as I started the motor this morning - radio now working fine! Hoping that last night will be the one and only time that it plays silly b Censored s with me! Thumbs Up

Post #25023624th Jan 2008 1:45 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

.....might be completely out but when my radio fell silent, the aerial connection in the LH rear boot compartment had come off (I carry spare oil etc. in there....), just clipped it back on and it all worked fine again.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #25025724th Jan 2008 2:20 pm
philhunt

Radio Silence

The aerial connection was my first thought last night but then I was able to do the frequency scan feature which scanned and then stored stations so ruled it out. However, from your post I now know where to find the connector should I need to so thanks. Thumbs Up

Post #25033724th Jan 2008 5:30 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Phil, not sure if this applies to you, but I had a similar problem which was attributable to the traffic alerts (TA) being set to "on". We don't have traffic alerts here in Melbourne so when the radio picked up similar frequency as TA, all sound went dead except for static noise. Switch TA to "off" and problem solved..
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #25049024th Jan 2008 9:42 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine has had new amp and head unit but still the problem persists. Dealer has contacted Land Rover technical assistance people and they have suggested that I have a speaker cable shorting in my nearside door . . .

Booked in for the 3rd will report back
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #25049424th Jan 2008 9:47 pm
philhunt

Radio Silence

90BHP wrote:
Mine has had new amp and head unit but still the problem persists. Dealer has contacted Land Rover technical assistance people and they have suggested that I have a speaker cable shorting in my nearside door . . .

That's interesting - are your symptoms just radio silence or is there no cd output either? How often has it happened?

Post #25052424th Jan 2008 10:26 pm
philhunt

radio silence

mobyone wrote:
Phil, not sure if this applies to you, but I had a similar problem which was attributable to the traffic alerts (TA) being set to "on". We don't have traffic alerts here in Melbourne so when the radio picked up similar frequency as TA, all sound went dead except for static noise. Switch TA to "off" and problem solved..

I tend till listen to one radio station when driving around/in London and I'm pretty certain that TA is set to off but I'll check

Post #25053124th Jan 2008 10:30 pm
mobyone

Ican't believe my luck...... The radio God's were in need of a sacrifice so they took mine yesterday!!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry As I was driving home, I went to change radio stations and suddenly no sound and am not able to change channels, play CD or change to AUX !!! It's like the whole unit is dead, however display still shows the preset channel of my radio station. This is very different to my previous problem which seems to have been attributed to the TA being set ON.

Dealer suggested a reboot so I removed battery terminals as well to ensure the re-boot was cold. This re-set it for a second allowing me to change channel once and then same again. No sound... all buttons not responding. Left it overnight last night thinking that I will take it to the dealer to fix, however when I jumped in the car first thing this morning all was OK. How often does this intermittent fault need to happen before dealer changes complete unitt?? Big Cry

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #25154327th Jan 2008 10:00 am
philhunt

Radio Silence

Keep us posted on this MobyOne and let us know what the dealer says - with any luck there may be a fix that Land Rover technical people know about (or is that being over optomistic?)

Post #25190427th Jan 2008 11:43 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

When it happens it's no output regardless of Aux, Radio or CD. Never just comes back on, sometimes a radion on / off will do it. Sometimes an ignition on / off.

Will tell you more after the 3rd.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #25190827th Jan 2008 11:59 pm
mobyone

90BHP wrote:
....they have suggested that I have a speaker cable shorting in my nearside door . . .

90BHP, now that you mention it.. the passenger door speaker was playing up a while ago, where it would go dead and then come back on again. I didn't think much of it as was probably poor FM reception... Mine is booked in for the 6th Feb..

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II

Post #25223328th Jan 2008 9:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >