Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Raised Air intake - necessary??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Glynne - the Safari snorkel is watertight by virtue of a lot of cutting etc. I'm toying with the idea of an RAI. I loked at the Safari snorkel based on cost but I think it would be a lot of money and hassle to put the car right when it comes off (which it will need to as it is a company car).

The RAI should need a few minutes work with filler on two holes and a new rubber trim piece (I hope...).

For me, the main question is - how deep do you intend to go ?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #39382729th Dec 2008 11:37 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I have never understood why they don't build a RAI in as standard up the A pillar or even both air pillars. I know it would take up some room internally, but it would be worth it.

Post #39382929th Dec 2008 11:37 am
DaveM

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

£50 for a RAI - you lucky man simon!!! I might stretch to a £100 but no more - i guess i will have to keep a beady eye out on Ebay !!

Post #39383129th Dec 2008 11:44 am
GLYNNE

England 

DG wrote:
Ask yourself how often you want to get water above the recommended level i.e. over the bonnet and up to the windscreen. My guess would be not often Wink Is a snorkel going to prevent water accessing other delicate parts ?

To try and answer you, Shocked no I don't want to dive into anything to deep, and would not be my chose to do so, especially in a nice new one Mr. Green .
No the snorkel wont stop water flooding everything else, but my dilemma is Yes the RAI does the job well enough for anything that I might want to do, but perhaps the snorkel could do what the RAI, plus that extra security blanket just in case I balls up.

Off Topic I cant find Stornaway grey Bonatti Grey

Post #39383329th Dec 2008 11:47 am
GLYNNE

England 

JF Lux wrote:
Glynne - the Safari snorkel is watertight by virtue of a lot of cutting etc. I'm toying with the idea of an RAI. I loked at the Safari snorkel based on cost but I think it would be a lot of money and hassle to put the car right when it comes off (which it will need to as it is a company car).

The RAI should need a few minutes work with filler on two holes and a new rubber trim piece (I hope...).

For me, the main question is - how deep do you intend to go ?

Good point, Simple fitting = Me Thumbs Up

Post #39383729th Dec 2008 11:49 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you get to the point (and this is the point) that the snorkel would do a better job... then you will have likely had to have had all your electric's protected too as this is where the vulnerability will lye now.

But at the end of the day... fit whatever makes you feel happier Thumbs Up

Post #39383829th Dec 2008 11:50 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Exactly Simon, cosmeticlly the RAI looks 8) , but my fitment was'nt just to look great. I work out of a concrete works where the road sweeper is either broken or the driver is off, and in the dry conditions the dust comes off my wheels and was injested by the D3.

I was worried about the D3 in the summer, so got one off of XTC, and Ken, DG, Slimer and co helped fit it. Yes it is a confidence thing, and if you go through the trouble of using a Neoprene seal or silicone where the join on the wing and RAI is will delay and water but NOT stop it.

Personally the RAI has helped a little for me, but still the dust gets in so I think the water will too. But with the RAI on she looks great, but not invincible.

For looks ONLY go RAI

For Wading ONLY go Safari

But as Simon says, you still can only go as deep as your Electrics, get them wet and you have had it Thumbs Up

Post #39384829th Dec 2008 12:16 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

You can improve the seal of the RAI by adding some adhesive foam tape to the metal bracket that latches into the wing. What little water that does then get in via the seal and drain hole will easily drain out of the airbox holes faster than it comes in.
They are useful though: 8)
Click image to enlarge
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #39386529th Dec 2008 12:42 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I can vouch for the intake on an "unprotected" LR. Took the Defender for a play on Sunday and dropped the NSF wheel into a hole on a tricky ford up near Uncle Dom (Batcombe between Cerne Abbass and Yeovil if you fancy losing your paintwork). Heart skipped as I heard a gargling noise from the air intake, but the filter was bone dry when I checked it on the other side of the river. Tide mark on the windscreen and wing vouched for the depth and validated the state of the driver's seat Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #39408529th Dec 2008 10:48 pm
Antman

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Reading all the feedback and comments - thanks for this Thumbs Up I think for my purposes the LR RAI is the way to go IF it does not require the body work to be cut to fit the vehicle Question My reason for this is the RAI is there for emergencies in my opinion, for those cases where your front right wheel drops in a hole while crossing a river, as pointed out, in this case the flow of water into the AI will be slow and will drain out before doing damage. Same goes for dust inhalation which will be much slower.
However, if you dont mind someone cutting your body panels then the Safari snorkel is a no brainer.

It does amaze me that LR manufacture a RAI that does not seal - someone's design skills needs to be checked Whistle

If body panel chopping is required for both, then caution will need to be the order of the day and no RAI for me.

Post #39438830th Dec 2008 4:43 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

You will need to drill 2 holes in the wing, just above the air intake, and another in the a-pillar next to the windscreen. I don't have the RAI fitted all the time, so the holes in the wing (which have Rivet nuts inserted) are blanked off.
Click image to enlarge
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #39439430th Dec 2008 4:57 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Antman wrote:
It does amaze me that LR manufacture a RAI that does not seal - someone's design skills needs to be checked Whistle

If it were sealed it would encourage people to drive deeper than they should. The normal intake is above the water line at maximum wading depth
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #39439630th Dec 2008 5:02 pm
MacLeod 313

the hole in the windsreen pillar is there already, behind the black trim. Just remove the screw and replace with rivnut

Post #39440430th Dec 2008 5:25 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

... after drilling the hole out to 9.5mm Rolling Eyes
 The End  
Post #39440830th Dec 2008 5:44 pm
MacLeod 313

Rolling with laughter I knew the hole was there Slimer, but as you can confirm, I was the one cacking himself whilst the pro's took up wierd n wonderful tools n lights Whistle

Scary, but a job well done Thumbs Up

Post #39440930th Dec 2008 5:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >