Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

RANT..Moving Heavy Loads On Motorways Mid Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
WaznotWas

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Jason,

Are you moving materials only? After a quick look at the website, I wondered if they now come in kits with the "little people from the quarries over the seas" to lay the stuff too ??????? (That's probably not quite PC I suppose) Rolling with laughter
 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT: things have happened out there!!!
The countryside is still OURS!!
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie
07 HSE Z Silver, black leather, Black RRS badges,
19" anthracite wheels - off, 18" Silver / General AT2's - on,
300 TDI Disco 1 - Sheltering the lawn! 

Post #49882723rd Jul 2009 10:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ken wrote:
Quote:

i have to disagree with that SJR, ALpha reliability has come a long way too, maybe in the 80's and 90's but modern alphas are as reliable as anything else,

Sorry Alfa quality is Censored I'm terming all 40 Brera's we have as quick as I can

They are stunning but Censored Thumbs Up

Pah!

06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #49884123rd Jul 2009 10:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm glad I got Alfas out of my system about 3 years back. Not a car I'd have again, but glad I had one. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #49884223rd Jul 2009 10:44 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

errrr how old is that one there martin? and if that's a dig at the reliability,,, it's still going there isn't it... Whistle
 one wife.......livid  
Post #49884923rd Jul 2009 11:00 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

20 years old and still giving BMWs a good kicking Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #49885123rd Jul 2009 11:02 am
Pelyma

England 

It set off 20 years ago and still hasn't finished Whistle
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #49885223rd Jul 2009 11:03 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

that' what i like to see.....

incidentally , found a good way to get through the alpha ownership phase,,,, national and hertz have them as hire cars out of alot of euro airports,

all the fun of driving an alpha on great roads without the so called worry of owning one,

although all the time i've spent in them I've never had any trouble, and 2 friends have brera's and they've not put a beat wrong..

i like em..
 one wife.......livid  
Post #49885323rd Jul 2009 11:05 am
WaznotWas

On a serious note here movement of Abnormal loads on our roads is covered under so many diferent rules, laws and regulations that it's no simple thing to say move a load from one place to another. Each county in the UK has designated routes for:

Heavy loads
High Loads
Heavy AND High loads.

Note there is nothing regarding long loads.......

So moving something from point A to Point B requires a hell of a lot of planning especially in the case of Heavy and High.

Unfortunately most motorway bridges are set at 5.5 m high but once off motorways things like bridges (one of the most common causes of accidents is bridge strikes), o/head power and phone lines, trees etc all conspire against those of us involved in these moves.

Add into the mix that most UK roads are capable of 150T loading but the number of axles and the loading on each have to spread the load to meet the maximum stipulated.

Hauliers are also responsible for indemnifying each authority for any damages to roads, bridges and street furniture all along the route to be travelled. Oh yeah and also for damage to drains, sewers, culverts etc.....

On a move we did last year we moved a tanks 8 x 8.5 x 10 weighing 48t and had to put up an indemnity for £50 million to cross a railwayline (not even a main line) and a bridge rated at 1000t over a crude oil pipeline. Total distance covered 60 FEET.... Shocked

When you switch on your PC's or turn a light on, do any of you think "I wonder who moved the 250T transformer, 7m x 4m x 4.5m (lxwxh) from the port to the substation somewhere in the middle of the countryside and if they had any problems....... Whistle

The Highways agency does try to keep Abnormal loads on Motorways / main trunk roads but this is not always possible. Currently working on the movement of 2 transpormers as above, 1 to a valley in Shetland, 1 to a location up a vally in Scotland. Now it was not us who decided that was the best place to site the substations - that was left to experts....... Evil or Very Mad

Rant over (ish)
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie

Post #49885923rd Jul 2009 11:19 am
WaznotWas

S Censored t, forgot to point out that when we move is not always our decision but depend an so many other factors. Unfortunately the "Bu Censored eration factor" to other road users is not always top of the list of priorities Mad

Post #49886023rd Jul 2009 11:23 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 
Been a passenger in Lorry cab

I have been a passenger in a lorry cab for the day, I was invited out by a lorry driver who lived a few doors away from me (when I lived in UK) and you do see a lot of stupid car maneuvers, however saying that; I saw this friend use the mobile while on the move .
On other occasions this same driver goes down the pub drinking plenty and very happily explaining that he cant stay long as he has an early start of 4am, however he is still there and drinking at 11pm even when friends have reminded him he'll be up early driving and shouldn't drink too much.
he's a very friendly person and is quite happy to buy anybody a drink if they drink with him (guess it can get lonely) but there is always 2 sides to the road arguments on who is doing the stupid maneuvers and if it causes problems/delays/ crashes then it's more likely both sides get a little "road rage" and took it a bit too far.
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #49943924th Jul 2009 4:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Just had a look on the iPhone traffic app (the one that puts the pins in the map) and OMG!!!! Glad I'm not on the road tonight, heavy load or not. Advantage of living in the Heelands is that "jam" tends to be of the strawberry kind! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #49944324th Jul 2009 4:34 pm
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Re: Been a passenger in Lorry cab

Popelka wrote:
I was invited out by a lorry driver who lived a few doors away from me (when I lived in UK) .
he's a very friendly person and is quite happy to buy anybody and took it a bit too far.

Shocked Shocked
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #49944424th Jul 2009 4:35 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Didn't look like this did he ? Rolling with laughter

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 24th Jul 2009 5:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #49945624th Jul 2009 5:05 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Rolling with laughter Bow down
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #49945824th Jul 2009 5:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Very Clarksonesque!!! Thumbs Up

Post #49946124th Jul 2009 5:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >