Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Re-mapped TDV6 V. V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re-mapped TDV6 V. V8

Today, I have been driving a courtesy V8 SE. Very interesting to compare this to my TDV6 which has a TurboChip re-map & an ITG air filter.
I haven't verified the performance claims of Turbochip, but assuming they are correct my engine should be producing something close to 250bhp & 378lb/ft. In comparison the V8 is 295bhp & 315lb/ft.
Now I'm a huge V8 fan, I've owned at least one V8 engined car for the last 18 years. As such I'm biased.
I found the D3 V8 much more responsive "off the line", so much so that it's even a bit too jumpy, but you'd soon get used to using less throttle. The sound track is much better (imo). The "sport" mode makes more of a noticeable difference in the V8. The V8, which has done 30k miles, revs. very smoothly in comparison to the TDV6, no surprise there though.
Despite the extra torque of the re-mapped TDV6, the V8 still feels & probably is much quicker from 0-60mph. I'd guess by about 1.5 seconds. The extra torque of the TDV6 makes a difference from 60+mph.
I did a few full kick down tests, not on the public highway of course Wink , from 60, 70, & 80 mph. The difference was hard to tell, the noise from the V8 was louder than the TDV6 which always adds to the impression of speed, but I think that the TDV6 was as quick or even a smidgen quicker with "sport" mode engaged on both. It would be interesting (for me anyway) to get some properly timed comparisons.
In conclusion I really love the V8, no surprise, but still feel that a lower revving torquey diesel is better suited to a big heavy 4X4.
Would I swap? If petrol was very cheap, yes I would & I'd modify the V8 for some more torque. In reality no I wouldn't, the difference in performance & superior soundtrack in comparison to a re-mapped TDV6 is not nearly enough to justify the considerable extra expensive in fuel & reduced range.
Nice though, Very Happy
P.S Please give us the TDV8.

Post #10451224th Nov 2006 4:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >