Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear Intensity Fog Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BN

England 
Rear Intensity Fog Lights

A few of you have tow bars fitted. Could you all please check and see if the rear fogs cut out when you connect the trailer wiring. They should, but don't Crying or Very sad . Also we are not the only ones with a wiring weakness, the following has been pasted from the Diahatsu 4trak site Very Happy :

If you look into the socket at the bottom there is a wee black pin that disconnects the foglight when you connect the plug to save blinding yourself when you are towing. Have you tried that because it keeps sticking on mine. A clean and light grease usually sort it. Hope this helps

i had this problem with mine, turned out to be a bad earth on the light, try cleaning the connections first, as fourtraks rear light wiring is a bit of a weak point as it is all open under the bodywork. hope this helps regards

Heard the same on our site Sad

Post #281525th Apr 2005 7:09 pm
DiscoMad

BN,

This pin arrangement is a very old and unreliable method of switching out the lights when the pug is inserted and is no longer used.

Modern vehicles and systems use a minimum of a relay - a quick serach came up with this refrence (just to gett he idea)
http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/towbar_relay_...s_TFC2.htm

I've been looking at the wiring diagram, and although relays are incircuit in several places for various trailer lights, there isnt one clearly marked FOGlights, ....

Post #281625th Apr 2005 9:32 pm
BN

England 

DiscoMad, the pin is not used on the D3 and as you correctly say, it is historic technology. But for the German market the lights of the D3 are switched off when a trailer is fitted by default. This means as LR have told me there is a factory designed item and program in the D3 computer, so why did they not fit it to all cars for all countries I asked. The answers was, "I don't know". The item I placed about the Diahatsu was that it is supposed to be a true off roader and yet they place wires under the car and they are a problem, something our cars may develop as we are finding out.

Post #282726th Apr 2005 8:01 am
Pelyma

England 

My parents had a 4trac for 14 years and it was never serviced in 120,000 miles Shocked Awesomely rugged and still going strong! I hope they don't treat their DS3 like that!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #282926th Apr 2005 8:20 am
D barnes

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Rear Fog Lights

BN, connect my caravan up last night just to check everything was working as it should, before I make the Great Escape for the Bank Holiday, and yes the Fog Lights still work on the Disco. Also tried selecting ''Rock Crawl'' and received message on display Trailer Connected Automatic height selection disabled, but was still able to select Off road height manually, I presume this is for when you are using an Off Road Twin Axle 8 metre Caravan or trailer ????? Laughing Rolling Eyes

Post #283026th Apr 2005 10:08 am
BN

England 

D barnes, well 1 out of 2 is great. The 'rock crawl' is set OK on yours, when was your D3 built? The lights are as expected. Thanks for the info. Suppose I should run a Poll really. As for the caravan, I have just fuelled up the motorhome for the weekend and will be abandoning the D3, but I will be taking the Jimny in tow. The motorhome is great to drive, but the D3 is far more quiet. Perhaps it is the pots and pans rattling in the mh, you don't get that in a caravan.

Post #283726th Apr 2005 12:41 pm
D barnes

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

BN, vehicle first registered 3/12/2004, its a Base 7 seater 'S' badged. Confused
Have a great weekend.

Post #284326th Apr 2005 1:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >