Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear Propshaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
1powerrack

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rear Propshaft

when looking at the rear propshaft on the D3 is it possible check if it is cheaper replacement or LR / GKN without removal of the propshaft?
currently chasing a vibration after 50 mph, the rear prop was replaced just before I bought the D3
thanks
 D3 4.4 V8 2005
Freelander 2 i6 HSE now gone was a very good 4x4
Triumph TR8 

Post #225842123rd Oct 2021 6:49 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

GKN make them for LR...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #225843123rd Oct 2021 7:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
1powerrack

Disco_Mikey thanks for the reply, I knew GKN made the same for LR, but is it possible to tell if the propshaft is of a cheaper make just by looking at the prop? because I think it maybe other than GKN/LR and could be the cause of the vibration as there are so many reports of the cheaper ones being troublesome, sorry I was not clearer in my 1st post
 D3 4.4 V8 2005
Triumph TR8 

Post #225843423rd Oct 2021 8:04 pm
1powerrack

An update for this thread,
I did check diff plug for swarf etc, and the alignment of the centre bearing on the rear prop but no issues were seen, a receipt was found for the propshaft in the info pack from the seller, the prop was purchased in April 2020 and was a GKN, the prop was bought from Buckley Brothers, so I contacted them to check for a guarantee status, it had 2 year one, so asking them what was the procedure for returning a faulty GKN prop, I was told I would have to buy a new prop and the old prop would be returned to GKN for testing before a refund is issued, they were not sure how long this process would take.
So I took a chance bought a new rear prop and had it professionally fitted, testing the D3 confirmed all the vibration / drumming noise was gone - good result.
Now I will return the prop next week to Buckley Bros. for the faulty prop to go back to GKN, this faulty prop had covered 4k miles approx. and my biggest worry is how good a guarantee it is, because once I hand it back to B.Bros. / GKN I have no visibility of the process or results.

I will update when GKN give their results
 D3 4.4 V8 2005
Triumph TR8 

Post #225942530th Oct 2021 10:36 am
1powerrack

I just thought I would update this thread, for all those who like myself were under the impression that a 2 year GKN guarantee was a good bet, so its been over month since the prop was returned to Buckley Brothers who immediately next day sent the prop to Brit part who supplied the unit, Brit part I am told sent it back to GKN more than 3 weeks ago, nothing is coming back from GKN on the progress or even if it has been tested, having already shelled out for another new prop to keep the D3 on the road trusting I would be refunded, how long does it take to test a prop? at the moment my experience is the 2 year guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on and in future I will look at other suppliers, it all great saying use GKN for quality parts but in this case its far from reality, buyer beware
 D3 4.4 V8 2005
Triumph TR8 

Post #22651592nd Dec 2021 7:56 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Your refund should come from the original supplier not GKN, I would get on to them for your refund. You have returned faulty parts and shouldnt have to wait for them to get a refund.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22652233rd Dec 2021 6:31 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Looks like the previous owner purchased it. And has receipt

Post #22652253rd Dec 2021 6:56 am
1powerrack

Just thought I would update this thread, I now have a refund for the price of the replacement propshaft, the whole process has taken many months due to GKN wanting to inspect any faulty returned propshaft and bearing in mind there were 3 companies involved, Buckley Brothers - Britpart -GKN

the GKN propshaft does have a 2 year warranty as does Britpart's own propshaft ( I am told BP are much quicker at refunds or exchange of faulty items than GKN), as I was not the original buyer of the propshaft but had the original receipt GKN still did a refund, but this evening researching the warranty on the Government web site - https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds - I found this

Warranties and guarantees

A customer has the same right to free repairs or a replacement regardless of whether they have a warranty or guarantee or not. So you may still have to repair or replace goods if a customer’s warranty or guarantee has run out.

Proof of purchase
You can ask the customer for proof that they bought an item from you. This could be a sales receipt or other evidence such as a bank statement or packaging.
Items returned by someone other than the buyer

You only have to accept returns from the person who bought the item.

=======================================================
So I may have been very lucky to get a refund and having never asked about the warranty details from GKN, they could have used the above contained in the Sales Of Goods Act 2015

if there is someone who is an expert on Sales Of Goods Act 2015 it would be interesting to see what they think
 D3 4.4 V8 2005
Triumph TR8 

Post #227284614th Jan 2022 9:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >