Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear speed sensor wiring loom issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
unirover

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Rear speed sensor wiring loom issue

So I am a bit at my wits end. I have a 2005 LR3 LHD 4.4 V8. I left for a few weeks and came back to vehicle sitting on bump stops. No big deal, small air leaks. Start it and compressor comes on for a minute of two and then warning lights come on. Brake, traction control, transmission at reduce power etc, etc. Into the garage it goes. Following codes come up:

Using IIDTool BT V3.0 B2134
Audio System
• B1D79-01 (2B) Microphone input - General failure information - general electrical failure
• ( at 181978 km )
Parking Aid
• B1B52-96 (2F) Rear sounder - Component failure - internal failure
Parking Brake
• U0122-87 (EB) Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
• ( at 181978 km )
Rear Diff
• U0122-87 (2F) Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
• ( at 181978 km )
Transfer Case
• U0122-87 (2F) Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
• ( at 181978 km )
Transmission
• P0500-00 (2F) Vehicle speed sensor A
• ( at 181978 km )
Vehicle Dynamic
• C1A92-13 (0B) Rear left wheel speed sensor circuit - General electrical failure - circuit open
• ( at 181978 km )

Battery was tired so I replaced that with fresh AGM battery. I did a hard reset, and cleared the codes several times but it always comes back to those issues. So I deduced the core of the problem being C1A92-13 - open circuit on rear left speed sensor. A quick drive using live values shows all three wheels give reading but rear left just reads 0 mph. So rear left sensor wonky. I replace sensor, same problem. After doing a bit of research, I investigate the sockets/plugs behind the front wheel are known to cause problems. Take off wheel well liner and inspect plugs/sockets. They all look good, no obvious damage, no corrosion. I do a resistance test using my ohm meter. First I test the sensor, my ohm meters reads 5.20M ohm. Then I go to plug number C2560. This is the plug behind the front wheel, on the side of the harness that goes back to the rest of the rear and as a result, this eliminated the actual connection and the part of the harness from the ABS booster/ECU. If I read the right rear sensor at the plug it reads 5.24M ohm. So the reading at the connector is about the same as the sensor. These seemed high to me but the right sensor is not throwing codes so I assume that is all good. When I read the left rear pins 9 and 10, it reads 9.90 M ohms which I suspect the ECU is reading as open. Non of the reading give continuity since the resistance is too high for my meter.

So here are my questions:

Are there any other known troublesome areas in the wiring loom other than the connectors in the wheel well?
Has anybody found the wires to be faulty around the connector even when they look good?
Is there a replacement plug for the one behind the wheel and the one on the main harness that plugs to the sensor?
Has anybody just wired in a bypass circuit? if so how did you do it? What gauge wire did you use? How did you crimp the connections? Did you use twisted pairs?
Any suggestions would be helpful because at this stage it looks like I have to replace the whole harness which is just not worth it. I suspect the problem is a compromised sensor wire in the harness which is easy to fix if I can find it. Instead starting from scratch searching in the dark, I thought I’d ask if anybody else has had this problem and how they dealt with it especially if there any other troublesome areas I am unaware of.

Cheers

Post #183834918th Jul 2017 11:37 pm
snow?wotsnow?

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Exact same problem solved - see:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1930146.html#1930146

Post #193015025th Mar 2018 4:42 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Check the rear speed sensor connection, some are known to get broken. Need to remove rear wheel to see properly

Post #19322191st Apr 2018 6:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >