Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Rear suspension control arms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KirrieDisco

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Rear suspension control arms

Hi all, I’ve just come home after three weeks at work and the wife has told me she had issues with the orange warning light coming on followed by a ping pong and then the red light telling her not to exceed 30mph. The Disco has been sinking at the rear at night too. This got too much for her as it was happening three times on her short commute to work. She parked the Disco up and used our Jimny instead. I told the Disco to plug it in today and it behaved impeccably. No problems, no sinking, no warning lights. There were a few faults which we cleared relating to height sensors and height sensor module. Took the Disco for a 25 mile drive and still no issues. What I did notice though was that one of the rear control arms is creaking as if it’s stiff where it connects to the hub. Would it be possible that with this arm seizing up at the bush that that has been enough to upset one of the height sensors on the Disco causing it to become confused to the point it pings up warnings? I’m clutching at straws here, but I can’t see anything else wrong with it.

Cheers

Eddie

Post #195348113th Jun 2018 12:53 pm
Triplet3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I thought one of my control arms was creaking. Turned out to be the strut Big Cry
Take the fuse out for the suspension and see if it still drops. That will give you a good idea whether or not you had a leak.
Also plug it in and see what voltage you are getting from the sensors.supply should be 5v and output 2v I think. Can't quite remember though.
 1995 Discovery 1 300TDI
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 - Gone
1979 Series 3 109" - Gone 

Post #195351513th Jun 2018 2:09 pm
KirrieDisco

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the reply Triplet3, it’s the rear I’m getting the creak from. I am waiting for the Disco to throw up the fault again so when I plug it in I can get live data from the fault. This should tell me if a height sensor is misbehaving. It’s a long shot, but I was wondering if the creaky control arm was able to restrict movement of the suspension to a point where the sensor was registering that corner not moving freely.

Without the fault appearing again I’ve nothing to really go on, but would like to get it sorted as the wife and kids are taking it away on holiday when I go back to work.

Cheers

Eddie

Post #195356513th Jun 2018 4:33 pm
ho02pey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I had a similar issue with the suspension recently and it was a snapped wire on the height sensor although mine didn't come up with the red warning light to not go over 30mph it only brought the amber light on and took the terrain response etc off. I would check the wiring around the suspension height sensor as this can be a common fault it normally breaks where it goes into the plug. There is a replacement plug and wire kit available on eBay for £27ish pretty easy job if thats the case! hope you get sorted mate.

Post #195366013th Jun 2018 10:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >