Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rear suspension too soft when towing/carrying 7 + luggage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Rear suspension too soft when towing/carrying 7 + luggage

Recently we have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit, and we will either be towing a bundu (off-road) trailer or carrying 6-7 pax with luggage and all.

In this situation, whilst the air suspension keeps the level correct, the rear end seems to be quite bouncy, almost as if the dampers have failed or aren't up to the job. Eg, travelling along at about 70-80kmh on a fairly good road, hit a mild bump and the rear end takes 2 or more bounces to settle. the front just seems to absorb any bump and settle immediately.

I searched the forum, but can't find any reference to a soft rear, only the complaint about the suspension being too firm after the VEP, which we have allegedly had done. (must say I experienced no difference, but then don't drive the D3 daily)

Anyone got any advice before I drag myself off to the dealayer?

Post #11906712th Jan 2007 8:38 am
catweasel

I've towed my camper (1.6 ton loaded) with 4 passengers and gear in the back and notice no difference ( have to check it's still there so to speak) and the only difference I find is that it handles corrugations much better with the extra weight and over cattle grids at speed there is no difference in bounce, with or without the camper.

Post #11907312th Jan 2007 9:15 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

With a caravan at 1.8t, kayaks on roof, 4 bikes on tow bar, and the family and three weeks camping gear in the back, mine handles like a dream. In fact, in terms of smoothness of ride, it is probably better than unladen - just slower and not quite so direct around corners.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #11942713th Jan 2007 11:41 pm
SN

Re: Rear suspension too soft when towing/carrying 7 + luggag

Baben wrote:
but can't find any reference to a soft rear
Hmmh you might be looking on the wrong kind of website... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #11942813th Jan 2007 11:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I seem to remember, a review stated the damping was poor under high loads on rough roads.
This does not appear to be the experience of everyone. I have not experienced any issues but I have not had it loaded up yet.
I did notice that when the coolant bottle sensor issue came up and the light come on, the suspension appeared soft and it took longer for the front to settle after stopping. Confused
Is the damping controlled by software or is it fixed?
When searching I found this about the air springs.
They supply the batteries and the cruise control too!
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories....amp;EDATE=
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #11946014th Jan 2007 7:17 am
Baben

Thanks guys, sounds to me like there may be a problem then . Will book it in, and let you know what happens

Post #11965715th Jan 2007 6:26 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Not a fix and I'm sure you've already done it ..increasing the rear tyre pressures. [rears only] should go up from 2.5bar/36psi to 2.9bar/42psi.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #11973915th Jan 2007 2:39 pm
Baben

With a full load like that I always run 2.9kpa at the rear, so they would be at close to max pressure anyway. On the phone to the dealer now. Will prolly take 2 weeks for them to see the car if I'm not lucky

Post #11974915th Jan 2007 2:47 pm
Baben

Dealer says "...it definitely sounds like a damper problem. How much off-road driving have you done?" Embarassed
Sending it in Monday, which I guess is not bad, considering its not an emergency. Will let y'all know. Apparently warranty will cover it if it turns out to be dampers.
Enquired about any updated dampers available, answer was "not that I am aware of, Sir"

Post #11975815th Jan 2007 2:56 pm
Baben

A report-back:

Sent the vehicle in for inspection. After a bit of discussion, demonstration & pursuasion, which included driving around with a few bemused technical staff in the back seats, the prognosis is the rear damper/airbags need replacing.
The very helpful techies at the dealer phoned up LR and got agreement to send the parts in.

She goes in (hopefully) before the weekend.

Actually my missus was complaining tonight that the D3 sways a bit in the wind, and feels "a bit squishy in the rear" (verbatim) so it seems like it has gotten worse in the interim. Checked the tyres and they are fine, and 2.5 (empty vehicle)

Will let you know how it feels when it comes back. Hopefully nice and firm, like Mrs. Baben is used to.....

Post #1280946th Feb 2007 9:26 pm
Baben

OK, got the new rear suspension units fitted on Friday. Feels supple but under control, especially at high speed. Took the boys out to a relative's farm for a weekend of fishing, kite-flying, cricket and eating, and drove around a bit on the green. All OK, thanks Land Rover.

But........on the way home, as we hit the tarred road, and accelerated we get the "engine system failure" warning, and complete loss of power. Big Cry
Reset the vehicle, and tried again, as long as you accelerate sedately, all is OK. She's at the delayer now.

Post #12932112th Feb 2007 10:49 am
Baben

Turns out to be a blocked fuel filter.
All sorted out. Thanks LR

Must be some crappy fuel at one of the filling stations in SA.

Post #12938612th Feb 2007 2:46 pm
TB

England 

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end. A rare success story for Land Rover dealers. Thumbs Up
 Arctic Frost RR Sport. TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Tow pack, PTI, Privacy Glass, Tasmods, Mudflaps & a RRSport umbrella in the boot.

Post #12973413th Feb 2007 6:29 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I reckon they are under damped with a load and on long fast gravel (corrugated) sections. I have a110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar twin wheel carrier and lots of gear in the back under these circumstances (so probably higher than average loads). Self-levels OK, but could do with more damping.

In my case I don't believe it is a fault (like Baben seems to have had). If there was an after-market option for 'harder' dampers I'd probably give them a go. As it is I just get used to a more wallowy(?) ride than I prefer. To be fair my previous car was a HiPo Falcoon (BA GT-P), and so it could be more preference than fault.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #12988814th Feb 2007 11:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >