Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

So, here my reason why de DIII is the 1st and last...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

JMC: For a car that has the title OFF-ROADER of the year. For a car where LR it selves states it IS an off-roader, for a car that expensive: than NO I cannot except these issues

As I said before, I drove 3 years with a defender, saw much much more mud and had to work ten times harder than the DIII, only the DIII has seen the garage more than the defender.

The DIII was NOT bought as a TOY, but as an off-road "camper", the defender was both.
And for the comfort for the 2 kids, not for ours, as I couls drive with the defender 1500km and be as fit as with the DIII

Again, when the DIII runs, it great fun, but again, can you imagine these problems out of warranty ???

At least with a defender you can work on it your self in case of!

And, sorry to tell this, but apart from a defender, it might be the toyota they are working on: A 4x4 like the BJ, and with no electronics.

the DIII has the off-road capabilities, but it's not build to do it
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #617743rd Jun 2006 6:50 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Sadly on this occasion Penguin I must say that I respect your view but disagree with it somewhat.

I think we would all recognise that the D3 wasn't built as a 110 or Defender replacement and therefore the differences relating to the technological aspects could never provide a comparison between the two.

You cannot seriously compare the D3 to the 110 in terms of levels of on road drivabiliy, comfort and equipment. So on that subject I'll stop there. Wink

The 110 \ defender is a fine off-roader but then so is the D3, some would say even more so. The D3 physically drives off-road in a different way to the 110 and perhaps 'die-hards' of the past have difficulty with this. But..... mighty capable the D3 is.

As to the issue of reliability, you show me any manufacturer of any vehicle and they will have repair centres. Why?, because all manufacturers models suffer from faults ......period.

I can understand your frustration with the faults you have experienced, the D3 got off to a sticky start for some, and it's a shame that your dealer hasn't dealt with you in the manner you deserve. However, these faults do not appear to be unresolvable.

Your frustration seems to be that you would prefer to get your head under the bonnet and tinker with the mechanics yourself, perhaps even on the run. Sadly there aren't many vehicles that you can do this with nowadays, I would doubt that even the next Defender will allow too much of this.

If I were in your shoes I would admit that the D3 is a fine vehicle, but not for me. There is little point of endless comparisons back to the 110, clearly a 110 is what you want and for you own peace of mind I would recommend that this is what you get.....and soon.

Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #617763rd Jun 2006 7:57 pm
Penguin

within 2 years or 55.000 km Wink

And yes, the DIII is a good car, but it's not well build to do what it can do.
I love the car when it's running, when Wink

Compare it with connecting a 3.9 V8 engine to an original mini's transferbox.

As for the comfort of a defender.
Apart from the noise and the backseats (mmm ok and the sound system Wink) I get the same comfort.
Or maybe I'm not that demanding on comfort... Wink

www.m-release.com 

Post #617793rd Jun 2006 8:07 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

At least you'll still be in a Land Rover ...eh ! Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #617803rd Jun 2006 8:12 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Penguin wrote:
within 2 years or 55.000 km

mmm 69,200 km already and she's been mechanically perfect !

Post #617883rd Jun 2006 10:33 pm
Penguin

dickgriff wrote:
At least you'll still be in a Land Rover ...eh ! Very Happy

Once you go green, you wont go.. euh, must be an other colour Wink

www.m-release.com 

Post #618164th Jun 2006 8:53 am
tlt

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
for purpose

Hi;
Interesting posts. I would agree, with all views here for the most part. I own a D3, while my specific purpose would be off road abuse, if a Defender was available in the US I would have purchased that one. The D3 in my opinion is the "compromise" in the best of both worlds. It is not an extreme off roader, nor is it an extreme on roader. If I was to go on safari, I would want a defender.
With respect to some of the new fangled electronic gadgets, Nav and so on, I believe that some of that will find it's way to the Defender eventually. This will make the defender a better vehicle overall.
So, for the average on/off road needs, the D3 is a great choice I think. For someone that is accustomed to the extreme ruggednes of the defender, I can see that there are shortfalls. The really are 2 distinct vehicles for 2 distinct purposes. If given the choice, and money, I would most likely own one of each.

Cheers

t

Post #8457611th Sep 2006 5:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >