Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Reasons not to swap a D4 for a D5...(yet)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
J77

Scotland 

No one has taken offence Confused
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #18551167th Sep 2017 2:58 pm
Disco4Danny

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

To prove im not aD5 hater, was back in a showroom (Looker West London, swankiest showroom ive seen yet with huge escalators up to upper showroom gallert- but utterly numpty salesmen who dont know their product and try and BS you about spec which the likes of us know inside out). First SE ive seen in theflesh with the almond/ebony that i would def optfor as i did on my D4. The colour combo is lovely, see pics, and bizarre that the only variant its available on is SE,.much nicer than plasticky lookinh Nimbus or oppresive all-black on HSE!

But....as feared when i had a play on a previos SE test dribe, the Land Rover 250w audio on the SE is truly awful, by any standarda but certainly light years below my D4 harman kardan. Horribly boomy and vibrating bass at any volume despire playing with all settings. Not befitting a £55k car. This is probablythe final straw for me, as comfort and audio are, frankly, the main factors for munching motorway miles, this sound would irk me every time.

And, given the rumours of JLR fast-forwarding a refresh to address many of the gripes which are obviously depressing their sales ambitions, i woulfbe surprised if audio isnt one rhey addresses.

But for thar, the interior of the SE (space aside) in almond would be spot on for me, i even prefer the extra hard buttons eityer side of the touchsreen to the HSE all-touchscree buttons.

Driving back from this viewing behind a DiscoSport, ir dawned on me that the D5 is is many ways a Disco Sport+ (like a Qashqai+2) and thats where the disappointment arises (sure, people can bleat on about unstoppable of road, but thats not the issue behind people's disappointment and feeling underwhelmed.

I get the feeling that folks like Simone are like me: we were all primed to be swept offour feet by the D5 and get our orders in, and actually gutted that we feel underwhelmed and unable to do so with the complete joy that ahould accompany any new car order?

So, to finish as i started, i am sure not a D5 hater. Rather, i am really sad that i find myseld unable to love it.

Click image to enlarge

Post #18551537th Sep 2017 6:13 pm
D4MY2014

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Drove a D5 HSE on half a days' Landrover Experience. Compared to my current D4 it just didn't feel special enough or able to do what the D4 can't.

The very odd styling, which is an acquired taste at best IMO, price hike, weedy 2.0 diesel and smaller rear space for the dog all made the decision even easier. Will drive my D4 for a few more years and see what's out there when time to upgrade. Who know, might even be an electric D6.

Post #18551647th Sep 2017 6:48 pm
J77

Scotland 

You either like it or you don't Thumbs Up

No point trying to convince yourself, I done it with the DS and sold it after only 6 months. Big expense.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #18552127th Sep 2017 8:38 pm
Disco4Danny

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Another reason JLR needs to get cracking ironing out the wrinkles in the D5.... Not necesarily on my radar, but will certainly be on the radar of all those who JLR hoped to snare by doing what they did with the D5....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-s...show-debut

Post #18552557th Sep 2017 10:47 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So is a £70k D5 really worth twice the price of a Rexton?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ssangyong/rexton-2017/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/ss...road-test/

As a 7 seat do it all with decent off road ability and a 3.5t towing capacity, it ticks most boxes (I know not all, but probably enough).
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #18552637th Sep 2017 11:34 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The biggest problem with the D5, is that it was due to market around 2014/2015, they then delayed the release opting for the DS introduction.

Landrover, teased with new pioneering tech and none of it appeared on the D5?

they then installed crappy plastic trim, made every desirable feature an expensive option and to add salt to the wounds of us Aussies, they pushed the prices up, when the Au/Uk exchange rate has moved nearly 25% in Australia's favour

A First edition on road is pushing 92,000 pounds

+ it only looks reasonable in black alloy wheel rims, it looks wrong in the standard aluminium coloured alloys.

Post #18552698th Sep 2017 1:36 am
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

And for the US market it looks like copy of the Ford Explorer which already hit its market peak 2 years ago. I have only seen 2 D5's on the road since it came out, but many DS and hundreds of Ford Explorers.
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #18552758th Sep 2017 5:03 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Tripe wrote:
The biggest problem with the D5, is that it was due to market around 2014/2015, they then delayed the release opting for the DS introduction.

Landrover, teased with new pioneering tech and none of it appeared on the D5?

they then installed crappy plastic trim, made every desirable feature an expensive option and to add salt to the wounds of us Aussies, they pushed the prices up, when the Au/Uk exchange rate has moved nearly 25% in Australia's favour

A First edition on road is pushing 92,000 pounds

+ it only looks reasonable in black alloy wheel rims, it looks wrong in the standard aluminium coloured alloys.

The Discovery Concept is probably whats caused some of the let down for me as it did really look like something different design wise just like the D3. The seating and the solid wood floor looked brill and lots of innovation with side pod storage. Then when it hit the market none of that was there it was just a normal car inside Sad
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #18553138th Sep 2017 8:48 am
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If L/R are still selling plenty of new discoveries especially the 67 plate ? .then they will not be bovered by what we and others are saying what's wrong with it to get you into it?.
To me two problems one is looks which is common knowledge and price? .Is it all that special ?
Overpriced compared to previous D4 in what it brings comparing both and is going far too up the price scale which is now on par with RR range other manufacturers have caught up and in some places improved their cars to a point where we may well desert too as price etc comes into play big time now.
Finally with them now jumping on the bandwagon about hybrid what price will that be ?.

Post #18553488th Sep 2017 11:37 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

It's just a big Discovery Sport with the same cheap plastic interior, same erratic technology, same engine oil dilution issues, possibly(?) fewer creaks and rattles, same crappy Meridian stereo system (far worse than the HK system in my old D3!) and same archaic dealer network struggling to support a very, very, average product (1.5 months waiting time to get mine looked at lately).

I'm sure D5 owners will disagree with my assessment, but I wish I had bought a D4 at the time I changed my D3. 12 months on and I now wish I had spent a bit more and bought an XC90 which is in a different league altogether compared to the DS/D5.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #18553548th Sep 2017 11:55 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 

The Oil dilution problem also applies to Discovery Sport, Evoque, Range Rover and Range Rover Sport!!

Post #18553608th Sep 2017 12:14 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

^^^ Spot on. And they don't know what to do about this either.
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #18553618th Sep 2017 12:15 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Many of the interior plastics are of a lower quality, I found that very obvious when I had one for a couple of days. It has been designed to look far more luxurious and lots of eye candy but in reality the solidity and high quality trim finishes you'd want on a hard-working vehicle just aren't there - it's the same with Jaguar and I believe that's how they are doing it for all their cars - seem them as a status symbol and a luxury toy as opposed to something that will actually work or perform in rural conditions and the interior actually survive.

If I was still living in suburbia and the nearest I got to using it's talents was towing my old tin tent or taking a washing machine down to the dump then I'm sure it'd perform that admirably and be a lux eye candy to boot.

However since moving it's carting lots more stuff, lots more mud involved, dogs, kids, stables, etc., and to be frank - it'll not hold up to any of that very well especially once you consider the limitations in boot aperture and roof line.

Over all of this another areas that I believe is important is the utility aspect of the cockpit - I like the fact that I have buttons and dials that stay where they are and I instinctively know after a period of time where to press or turn without needing to take my eyes off of the road. This play towards touch screens, whilst impressive to 15 year old iPad addicts and good app developers that windsurf at weekends, doesn't actually work very well at all - I had a friends RR for a couple of days as well as trying the D5 - and I found both to cause me to remove my eyes from where I was going a little too much.

Engines - LR did a massive disservice to the D5 and its buyer by not producing the Hybrid/electric at launch - I suspect they knew diesel was going to be hammered so are trying to get as much as they can out of the TDV6 design before they know they have to consign it to history. But launching with the same old engine just dates the whole car when XC90 is already 2 years in on PHEV (even if they did have teething troubles)

My wife loved the D5, and I had grown used to it. I like the look of the interior and I like the look of the exterior - but it is far removed from its predecessor and far less useful for it. If you like a pose, and you find the RRS too small then the D5 is the car you always promised yourself.

My Outlander (which replace the D4 I sold) has better tech and is just as practical as the D5 for my needs at a fraction of the cost. It is a 2 year experiment with PHEV for us - once rental is up we'll assess the market and see where we go but I very much doubt it will be a D5, and that really disappoints me.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #18553818th Sep 2017 1:19 pm
jamesSE4x4R

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

having recently had the pleasure of both the DS and D5 as service cars whilst mine was in I have to say I'm totally stumped.. I moved to a D4 from a defender and an Audi TT, I had the car for long trips and nipping about and the Defender for hunting, shooting & fishing, towing boats and doing voluntary work ( 4x4 response and search and rescue). The D4 had impressed me and seemed to offer the all electric leather comfort of the TT with the go anywhere ability of the defender and to give it its due 25k in a year through everything from long motorway journeys to serious mud plugging its performed brilliantly.

However

I couldn't get the DS down my drive as it was too steep and it grounded out at the top of the drive, plus it was as boring to drive as any other large diesel estate and even the Mrs thought it was butt ugly.

I was super excited to be handed the keys to the D5 expecting good things but after only 15 mins in it I hated it.. Poor headroom, visability and a gutless Censored poor engine to boot was nothing compared to the dissapointment the first time I drove it onto the farm, crap ground clearance, too much electronic Censored and more lights than the starship enterprise as soon as wheels started slipping.

I had wanted to be excited for the new Defender but if the evolution of the discovery is anything to go on ill just have to buy Jap and that after 30 years of flying the flag for Landrover is a very very bitter pill
 www.southeast4x4response.org.uk Responder of 9 years service SE140
Ex defender 50th owner, GB165
2010 MY XS -sold
2014 MY HSE Lux curent
2017 MY Disco Sport (wife's)
" if it fly's, floats, is fast or fornicates you can't afford it my boy" RIP Gramps 2009 

Post #18553938th Sep 2017 2:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >