Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Rebuild or scrap ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
stilkus

Germany 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

None of the topics had a dissected engine showing what to expect with a siezed crankshaft in terms of the engine Block being distorted or not. They're mainly people trying to negotiate Land Rover to Cover up their repair expenses. I am trying to do something else here. I Plan on rebuilding the engine with a new crankshaft and maybe change damaged connecting rods and inspect the case for warpage. You think someone doesn’t prepare himself for Such a big Job before doing it by searching everywhere? Come on bro!!

Post #212188217th Feb 2020 9:58 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/snapped-cra...;start=240

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/let-rebuild...nk+rebuild

Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #212188717th Feb 2020 10:31 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Time for the beer and chips Rolling Eyes

Post #212190217th Feb 2020 11:25 pm
KostasA

Greece 

stilkus wrote:
None of the topics had a dissected engine showing what to expect with a siezed crankshaft in terms of the engine Block being distorted or not. They're mainly people trying to negotiate Land Rover to Cover up their repair expenses. I am trying to do something else here. I Plan on rebuilding the engine with a new crankshaft and maybe change damaged connecting rods and inspect the case for warpage. You think someone doesn’t prepare himself for Such a big Job before doing it by searching everywhere? Come on bro!!

Hi Stilkus, i myself have tried many times to find an engine overhaul manual giving information if you decide to go the down the way of the block rebuild. so far i haven't managed to get any information on the block (bore size, main bearing sizes, bearing sizes, conrods, etc). without that i would be very hesitant to even think of rebuilding the block.
if you look around (in various sites) a crankshaft price is around the 2.000 euro margin. on this forum, if am not mistaken, people have bought LR blocks around 4.000 pounds. so to me that would be another factor for consideration.

if you remove your old engine, open it and find out that only block is what you need it might make a lot of sense to ask LR for a rebuild block. At the end of the day money would be more or less the same and you will avoid the hassle of resulting the block.

Post #212191818th Feb 2020 5:50 am
Avalon

Germany 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

@stilkus: seeing that you are from Germany, it might be a good idea to speak to Peter Löwenhaupt from Discovery Parts. They can rebuild the engine with new specially tabbed bearings and a specially forced crankshaft or possibly provide parts if you want to do the job yourself.

More information and prices for the required parts and labour can be found on their website: https://www.discovery-parts.de/ersatzteile...ung-i.html
 Disco4 V6 SC HSE (MY2014)  
Post #212215919th Feb 2020 10:49 am
stilkus

@Avalon I just checked their prices, I don't have the money for that dude! they do lots of bulletproofing and use Forged cranks and modify the block. lots of good stuff, I don't drive the car too often to invest so much in it.

Post #212256820th Feb 2020 9:51 pm
stilkus

I just tore the engine apart, I didn't find any metal shavings in the oil. Just a broken crank, all bearings are fine! the oil pump broke everywhere as well, because of the crankshaft protruded upwards.. one thing I noticed, the timing belt was loose when I took the cover off, and one of the timing belt tensioner tabs was bent ( I highlighted this in the picture). TBH, I opted for a used engine, cause I noticed the front broken part of the crank forced the first the bearing cap forward to a point I couldn't remove it's screws, and this means this engine block isn't getting a new crankshaft from me! I also didn't take the heads off to check for bent valves, which I think there's going to be a pair at least, unless of course the rocker arms break to save the valves as in all Peugeot HDI engines I have worked on, including the 1.6, 2.0 and the 2.2 HDI. I guess a used jaguar TDV6 with low mileage is what is I am hunting for at the moment, I heard you only need to swap the oil pan ad nothing more!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #212257120th Feb 2020 10:02 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi

You may want to check out his guys YouTube Channel hes basically done what you are thinking of doing with a Jag engine in to a RangeRover Sport and videoed the whole process
Heres the engine out of the Jag video

Good Luck Thumbs Up
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #212258720th Feb 2020 11:15 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

stilkus wrote:
I guess a used jaguar TDV6 with low mileage is what is I am hunting for at the moment, I heard you only need to swap the oil pan ad nothing more!

That will be too simple I am afraid..

I am in the same process, so busy with a write up..

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/tdv6-jaguar-land-rover-186164.html

S-types are the easyest... you can keep the (younger in mileage) fuel side on the engine..HPFP and rails (although the injectors differ in vdo partnumber) since on a S-type the EU4 is accomplished with “LR EU3 parts“
BUT...... exhaust manifolds are different, turbo’s (twin in jag) and everything connected to the auxiliary belt is different... JAG uses lesser ribs on the belt than LR + a different fan and extra tensioner...

Edit; typo’s
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Last edited by Motolab on 21st Feb 2020 11:14 am. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #212264021st Feb 2020 9:34 am
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Whilst you are doing this work it is worth checking the swirl valves on the underside of the inlet covers on the heads.

The Jag uses them and has it all connected up so they operational as part of the gas recirculation system and are flapping around whereas the Land Rover has them disconnected so they never really wear.

As you have to get the injectors swapped it would be worth checking them to see if there is more wear than the ones from your Landrover and if so swap them over.

I only know as my first Discovery had one of the swirl valves fall out of its holder and get consumed by the engine!

Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #212265721st Feb 2020 10:51 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

darrind wrote:
Hi

You may want to check out his guys YouTube Channel hes basically done what you are thinking of doing with a Jag engine in to a RangeRover Sport and videoed the whole process
Heres the engine out of the Jag video

Good Luck Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #212265921st Feb 2020 10:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >