Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Rebuilt Disco 4 Engine Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JafaDiscoIV

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Rebuilt Disco 4 Engine Issues

Attempting to start my rebuilt Discovery 4 2010 3.0 for the first time. Car cranks and cranks but no hint of a fire. According to my scanner, P0341 = "Camshaft Position Sensor A - Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 Or Single Sensor)" Is there more than 1 camshaft position sensor?

Car ran before rebuild but knocked due to a bent crank and hammered like razor blades big end bearings.
Receiving an RPM signal but unable to locate the CAM signal on the scanner.
Mechanical timing is good since the engine was running when using Holts' Easy start.
Fuel rail pressure is reading 39800Kpa~
Replaced the Crank position sensor using the "Special Tool"

Unable to recall seeing any kind of pickup for the cam position sensor.. is it located on the camshaft itself or on the gear for the timing belt?

Post #20907448th Oct 2019 6:58 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

You've probably got the timing ring set incorrectly on the back of the crankshaft.

The single cam sensor takes the information from the crank sensor to determine if the cams are in the correct position. Because the crank sensor is the primary one, the ECU believes it to be correct. If it is out, the injectors will be out, the cams will think it they are out and nothing will be in order.

Or it could be that you set the cam sensor when the pick up blade is not in position and you've pushed the sensor in to far. If this has happened, then when the blade comes round, it chops the end of the sensor off.

I've suggest you look at the cam sensor first, it's easier than getting to the crank timing ring.
 Joe  
Post #20908199th Oct 2019 6:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JafaDiscoIV

After many cut knuckles and time spent testing wires leading to no satisfactory conclusion, I managed to borrow a ridiculously expensive code reader which gave me a little more detail into the code. "P0341-3A Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor) - incorrect has too many pulses". How it can have too many pulses I don't know but I'll be picking up a new £156 cam position sensor tomorrow. Fingers crossed the car will burst into life once it's fitted...

Post #20910149th Oct 2019 6:16 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

Let me know how the new sensor works out.

Don't forget to make sure the pick up blade on the cam is in the correct place and the sensor is pushed up to the blade.

and not like this, in between the blades.

It's hard to tell when the engine is in place, but if you get a screwdriver and push it through the hole in the head, you should feel the blade pretty quickly or the screwdriver will just go in a lot further.
 Joe  
Post #209117110th Oct 2019 10:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JafaDiscoIV

Thank you for the wisdom and pictures, much appreciated!! One thing I don't understand is how I can place the sensor in too far in when there's a circular bolt hole in the sensor that positions it for you? Unless there was some wiggle room in that hole and I missed it?

Post #209126710th Oct 2019 5:17 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

The bolt hole in the sensor is larger than the bolt, thus giving you the ability to move the sensor back & forth.

You'll notice a tiny nipple on the tip of the sensor. This should be touching the blade.
 Joe  
Post #209244515th Oct 2019 8:41 am
DocBrown

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
D4 SDV6 after Engine Rebuild stutters >> no error Codes

Hello everyone here in the forum!

I'm asking for your help! Since I overhauled my D4 SDV6 3.0 MY 2021 (the previous owner had eaten two valves in the 4th cylinder with 180tkm and I'm building it up again) (new pistons, valves, timing chains, main and connecting rod bearing shells ...) is now running the engine only occasionally stutters which can come to a standstill ... but it can also run 5-10km without problems. There are no error codes that are saved and my Autel MaxiAP AP200 is good (battery reset, air suspension, everything is possible ... except for the wheel size - unfortunately it cannot be changed although it is displayed in the software ...)

Therefore, I will use an oscilloscope to look at the signals from the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor, what arrives at the ECU.

I now have both new sensors with me, but I want to save myself body-off again as much as possible. In the workshop manual, ensure correct installation of the sensors, are there any tips or even special tools with which distances the sensors should be installed or aligned? I used Special Tool 303-1130 for the magnetic ring.

I read about the bulletin and exchange Crankshaft sensor, but assume that if it was necessary it was done by the previous owner (all services were done in an authorized workshop up to the damage at 180tkm).

If I start with the "simpler" camshaft sensor, what needs to be removed from the EGR and Tubo or has someone just managed to dismantle the common rail pressure sensor in order to remove the cam sensor and install it sensibly?

Thank you for any suggested solution!

Regards

Klaus

Post #22492511st Sep 2021 9:25 am
DocBrown

Embarassed it is actually (at least for the CKP) exactly described in the workshop manual under "Electronic Engine Controls - TDV6 3.0L Diesel":

>>> The recommended air gap between the CKP and the trigger wheel is 0.4 mm-1.5
mm.

There is no distance to the CMP sensor in my manual, there is apparently a small plastic nose that should lightly touch the camshaft gear during assembly - do not press too hard otherwise the CMP will crumble at the first start ...

I try to check the gap in the CKP or to be able to identify it on my pictures, if someone knows the trick to replace or adjust the CKP without body-off and turbo charger removal, please provide the information Bow down

Post #22493081st Sep 2021 4:57 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

jesus...never had this problem with morris thousand...progress ?

Post #22493631st Sep 2021 11:19 pm
billy123

Belgium 
ckp discovery 4

OvalAutos wrote:
Let me know how the new sensor works out.

Don't forget to make sure the pick up blade on the cam is in the correct place and the sensor is pushed up to the blade.

and not like this, in between the blades.

It's hard to tell when the engine is in place, but if you get a screwdriver and push it through the hole in the head, you should feel the blade pretty quickly or the screwdriver will just go in a lot further.

Post #22869968th Apr 2022 7:35 am
billy123

Belgium 
ckp discovery 4

hello i have the same problem
has this been solved for you by renewing / adjusting the camshaft sensor or was it the position of the crankshaft sensor?
thanks

Post #22869978th Apr 2022 7:37 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

galwaygreen wrote:
jesus...never had this problem with morris thousand...progress ?

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
For the price of that sensor you could buy a new engine for a Moggy thousand. Laughing
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #22870008th Apr 2022 7:46 am
DocBrown

correct positioning is very important, i did it with a cheap tool from alibaba and was worried it wouldn't be right. But it has!

In my case, the Hall sensor on the crankshaft at the transition to the gearbox was actually defective. I put it in a magnetic tray when I was disassembling the engine, I think that killed it....

Now the engine runs without problems.

Sensor is from Delphi and has the part number SS11337 and costs 1/3 than that from LR (which is also only a purchased part)

it's doable from the wheelhouse but it took me 4-5 hours to install until the sensor with wire was in the right place...

Post #22870148th Apr 2022 9:00 am
billy123

Belgium 

thank you for your answer i will disassemble the gearbox again and position the ring correctly and also renew the sensor for safety
I do have speed in my parameters but I think it will not be at the right time
hopefully good then
thanks

Post #22870158th Apr 2022 9:07 am
DocBrown

Pictures of it are in my gallery

Can you do it without taking the body off?

Good luck!

Post #22870248th Apr 2022 9:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >