Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Reduced Power: TDV6 Compressor Shut Off Valve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ilron

Norway 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4
Reduced Power: TDV6 Compressor Shut Off Valve

I had a small hope that I might be lucky enough not to join the Limp Mode club, but that hope was terminated yesterday when the dreaded red triangle combined with a short "reduced performance" message appeared.

Land Rover assist sent a guy to check it out and to make a short story even shorter; a flatbed delivered the car to the local dealer. After checking the fault messages the conclusion (assumption?) was that the Compressor Shut Off Valve is defect, as described in Service Bulletin no.LTB00361/2011

The bulletin claims the entire operation should take 1.6 hours but I have to wait for the dealer to receive the necessary parts. I was told that I can use the car in the meantime, although it may enter Limp Mode every now and then which might require a "restart" of the car to temporary clear the fault.

I tried searching the forum and google for "compressor shut off valve" but could not find any other cases, which made me curious to know if anybody on here might have had the same problem and if so, then which troubles should I expect in the near future.

Last edited by ilron on 26th May 2011 8:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #79873320th May 2011 2:24 pm
ilron

Norway 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

It turned out that the entire fault was caused by a corroded washer on the arm that controls the shut off valve.
The corrosion cause the valve arm to operate slower than the engine expects which again cause the actual airflow to deviate from the conditions the control unit expect; result: Nanny mode kicks in and gives a Reduced Performance error.

Land Rover has a service bulletin for this fault but they do not change the part unless it actually is corroded.
They change the entire valve assembly, not just the washer, the new part has a washer that will not corrode.

My car is a July 2010 model, I suggest that you ask your dealer to check this part on your next service, changing it early will avoid an unnecessary Reduced Performance fault and is less than a 1.5hr job for the dealer.

Post #80046226th May 2011 8:30 am
ChrisA

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for that ilron. That's a useful bit of info I will tuck away in my largely empty brain.

Post #8038656th Jun 2011 8:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >