DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Go one, dare yah!

Post #70905527th Oct 2010 5:01 pm
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

doubledoom wrote:
Every new car I have owned for the last 15 years has had some issue. I tend to change every mine and my wife's car every two-three years and have no brand loyalty.

By far the worst for reliability was my Audi S5 followed by my wife's Audi A3. Now they are meant to be a brand known for reliability. Most reliable was my jaguar. So far with my Disco 4, no problems but I expect there will be one at some point as there is just so much more that can go wrong with a vehicle like this.

For a while (maybe last year or earlier this?) the Audi A5 was the least reliable new car in the UK. But it was also one of the most highly rated by owners.

Pleased to see some positive feedback on D4 here. Maybe I will get one - hasn't been looking likely with my miserable experience of a D3

Post #70930528th Oct 2010 9:45 am
chopdogs

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

15,000 miles and no problems at all

Well, it had a new turbo solenoid when it was in for the assurance programme but that did not impact me at all - in fact I didn't even know that there was anything wrong before they called me to say they were replacing it. And, of course, I didn't have to pay - so it's irrelevant

Overall, a cracking motor and I still enjoy it each and every time I drive it (which is less often as I'd like as it's SWMBO's main car)

Highly recommended
 14 Disco 4 HSE  
Post #70939428th Oct 2010 1:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highlandcow

[quote="oop north"]
doubledoom wrote:
For a while (maybe last year or earlier this?) the Audi A5 was the least reliable new car in the UK. But it was also one of the most highly rated by owners.

Not me, I felt there were some serious ergonomic issues with the A5, although there were no mechanical issues, just the keyless entry door sensors had to be replaced.

I had an A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport, but got rid of it after 9 months because I missed the FL2 I had for a year. I traded it in for the D4.

Post #70947328th Oct 2010 6:46 pm
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:

I would agree. The A5OC website was full of people with the same problems. However, I suspect that it was still very much a minority overall as it will be with LR. The S5 is great car with a lovely V8. I always wondered if the next car I got would be able to replace it. I tried many and each felt like I was moving backwards. The Disco is the one (without spending bucket loads more) which didnt make me feel I was giving something up for something not as good. I dont miss the S5.

Quote:
although there were no mechanical issues, just the keyless entry door sensors had to be replaced.

Yep. my sensors had to be replaced too. That is one of they very common faults. Mine was in about a dozen times over two and half years for various faults. Nearly all electrical. None mechanical.

Post #70948928th Oct 2010 7:42 pm
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

I should have said in my post that my understanding of A5 problems was that they were all electrical

Post #70967729th Oct 2010 9:21 am
trebaix

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Since 1975 I have mainly run Range Rovers. The reason I am on this site is that I am due to trade my 3 year old 75,000 mile RRTDV8 in for a Disco4 and have been finding out about the model. Over the years I have occasionally been tempted to try something different but it has always ended in tears and I return to Land Rover.

How reliable are LR products? I can only speak as I find but over the past 35 years the only unreliable cars for me have been:

a BMW 7 series was a disaster with transmission, injection and cylinder head problems; A BMW diesel engine in a Range Rover had major engine problems at about 70,000 miles; my Audi RS6 estate had 3 months off the road while Audi tried (and failed) to sort a suspension valve fault and then the RS4 estate (fantastic car) developed a similar problem.

I stick with what works for me and that is why I am replacing my TDV8 with a D4.

Colin

Post #70974829th Oct 2010 1:12 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Brilliant! Thumbs Up

Post #70988129th Oct 2010 7:31 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well.....

24,000 miles and over 13 months
New Battery as plate separators failed
New Rear Calipers to sort squealing when reversing
Bad connection to Engine control ECU causing un-resettable limp home mode
Engine misfire when cruise used for long periods
Continued problem with FBH not starting (problem just re-emerged with cold weather)
Rear Camera problem still not sorted after seven trips to dealer and cables and camera replaced. 18 days off for this problem.
Lots of little problems like Global open and close and one shot windows that got sorted by Assurance program.

Still the best car I have ever owned by a country mile Very Happy
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #71032831st Oct 2010 1:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
addicted to nurburgring

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Our D3 was 1005 reliable (only needed 1 parking sensor replacing under warranty) during the 3.8 years and 44k miles we owned it. Our D4 had covered 5k without any issues.

The suspension on my RS4 failed at 1,500 miles. It suffered from excessive carbon build up due to a design flaw with FSi engines. My Cayenne suffered many niggles.

There are reliability issues and design faults will all makes and models including unstoppable Toyota's....
 Current:
2014 RRS 3.0 HSE
Porsche 997 GT3
BMW 118d SE
Past:
D4 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Auto
D3 HSE 2.7 TDV6 Auto 

Post #7122284th Nov 2010 10:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >