Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

remap comparison celtic tuning vs. tuningtools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
remap comparison celtic tuning vs. tuningtools

I am very pleased with my alientech Powergate PRO gadget from tuningtools.co.uk which allows me to upload/download ecu maps and logs and also read / reset DTC trouble codes. This is the same device rebadged by celtic tuning (eMotion), Evolve and Bell auto services.

I had 2 remap files from tuningtools, the first, race3 was very mild and hardly noticeable, the second, race4 was very noticeable and I thought a good tune but neither tune had any published performance figures.

Having seen numbers like +48bhp from celtictuning.co.uk I emailed Graham there. He told me that to email me a remap file on based on my original map would cost £115.- so I obviously I ordered it. He emailed me the remap file yesterday and I promptly uploaded it with the Powergate PRO.

After one days drive and over 200km I can only say that the difference between race4 and the celtic tune is like the difference between no tune at all and race4. The celtictuning remap is awesome. Where race4 was punchy at low rpm but would decrease its effect after 3500rpm, the celtic remap is more punchy at low rpm and increases its effect onwards up to 4000 rpm (I'm reluctant to take the revs higher, also I'm seriously breaking speed limits at this rev level in 5th Whistle )

Thanks graham Thumbs Up
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #4307371st Mar 2009 12:18 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ive know Graham personaly (well on the phone to me) for some time from inside the tuning world and he seems a good bloke.

And i would strongley suspect that the file you have is not actualy a Celtic tuning file!! he normaly buys files in from other tuners.
Not that im slagging it or stating its bad im just making the comment.

Some things that would worry me from a unknown tuners file that promisses "High Power" in the case of this engine are.

High fuel pressures, high boost pressures and high PW modulation to name some, this can cause various problems in the future with high pressure pumps turbos high EGT the list goes on.

Basicly what im saying is if the car does actualy go that well please becarefull and take it steady for at least a few miles.

Im sure the above may not be relevent, but since im in the know so to speak i just wanted to give my opinion.

I hope all the above is wrong in your cars case and i hope you are truly happy with yur car and its mapping, i dont want to offend you or graham by my post.

PS the Race3 and Race4 names sound like they have come from a company i know of, and not the company you mentioned, i agree its only a name tho.

Regards Pete

Post #4309101st Mar 2009 2:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

bellautos wrote:

And i would strongley suspect that the file you have is not actualy a Celtic tuning file!! he normaly buys files in from other tuners.
Not that im slagging it or stating its bad im just making the comment.

The celtic tuning website states clearly that they develop their own tunes.

bellautos wrote:

High fuel pressures, high boost pressures and high PW modulation to name some, this can cause various problems in the future with high pressure pumps turbos high EGT the list goes on.

Thats what all tuning does, provided it stays within tolerances all should be acceptable. I'm not planning to use all the power all the time, it would be seriously dangerous. I've only put it through its paces with no other traffic on the road and a warm engine.

bellautos wrote:

I hope all the above is wrong in your cars case and i hope you are truly happy with yur car and its mapping, i dont want to offend you or graham by my post.

None taken. Maybe I can test your remap some day. Mr. Green

Another thing that graham said is that the CT tunes are based on normal diesel and that the higher cetane premium fuels only delivered 2.6% more power on rolling road tests.

I've noticed so far that the fuel consumption now is between 7.6 and 8.6 litres/100km. Previously was 10-11 litres/100km. All based on the display. Will check full tank values later. Another thing is that the engine is just a little bit louder (similar to sand mode), corrected by using a higher Cetane fuel.

I've not noticed any smoke. Graham said that the DPF and emissions are taken into account

0-100kmh(62mph) times in seconds

untuned 13sec
race4 11sec
CT to be measured
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #4309381st Mar 2009 3:57 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

dick dastardly you have PM

Pete

Post #4309431st Mar 2009 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >