Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Removing BottleBrush resin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Removing BottleBrush resin

With the warmer weather approaching, the bottlebrush outside my front yard is weeping resin right on my...guess what!!! A bit careless of me to park underneath it but coming home at 4:00am the thought process has shutdown. Any ideas on how to remove it ? It is splattered on part of the windscreen, mirror plastic and bonnet. I have gingerly experimented (on the windscreen) with acetone, lacquer thinner (love the smell of the stuff..), metho, shellite and eucalyptus oil but no luck...

Post #8940829th Sep 2006 4:09 am
catweasel

I used engine degreaser once on one of my other cars to remove resin from a Norfolk pine once (worked a treat), try it on some paint in the engine bay first to make sure it is ok to use on the visible areas. another thing I find cleans up spills and other messes really well (don't knock it till u try it) is the alcohol free baby wipes (kids taught me that one Wink )
another thing I just thought of is a product which removes sticky labels and it is orange or lemon based. will quiz the wife when she gets home.

Post #8940929th Sep 2006 4:24 am
SN

catweasel wrote:
a product which removes sticky labels and it is orange or lemon based. will quiz the wife when she gets home.
The orange zest based stuff is good for getting dog slobber off laminate floors too Shocked

Oh and my bottle brush doesn't leak any resin...

Why would it? Its made of plastic and lives in the kitchen! Laughing Laughing Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #8941729th Sep 2006 7:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

baby wipes Smile Bloody great things for cleaning up all sorts of un-cleanable stains... red wine spots on the carpet for one.

Makes you wonder what babies bottoms are made of... Shocked

Post #8942829th Sep 2006 8:36 am
catweasel

don't know what they're made of but what they make is saleable to the army

wife said it is a trade secret so , unfortunately I took her on and beat it out of her. it was close but I finally got the upper hand and found out this is what we use. excellent stuff.
just test first and be carefull with plastics.

Post #8944329th Sep 2006 9:10 am
DiscoAtom

catweasel - tried engine degreaser but the resin still will not budge!! Will definitely try the Citro Clean cleaner. If that doesn't work, I will let the Australian sun dry it out over the summer then scrap it of with my finger nail or plastic scrapper. Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

Post #8950929th Sep 2006 12:30 pm
SN

I assume you're gonna polish the car after. I let some long tall tree (dunno what it was) drop sap all over a Vectra (I know it deserved it Wink ) for two weeks solid in the Vendee one summer a few years back - never did get the marks completely out of it...

...wonder whether the Company Car Management Co ever did? Very Happy
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #8953029th Sep 2006 1:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

just make sure you test it on an area which is not readily visible. let the Citro clean sit for a while to work it's way under the resin, failing that, try an icecube on it to stiffen it up and try to peel it off that way. the longer it sits the more it will stain.

Post #8953229th Sep 2006 1:15 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

A drop of petrol on a rag will remove tar and resin. Don't smoke while your doing it though Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8953529th Sep 2006 1:17 pm
catweasel

take it back to the dealer and hit him up for a paint defect Wink

Post #8954729th Sep 2006 1:23 pm
DiscoAtom

catweasel - Tired the Citro Clean but those stubborn resin will not budge. Then I tried your other suggestion, baby wipes...and it worked!!! It however, left a thin film of pleasant smelling residual must be moisturiser, lanolin and other skin care chemicals. A bit of car wash detergent over all the residue and back to what it was. Thanks once again your advice was most helpful.

qzdcg8 - I am thinking about leaving the car completely dirty or as you suggested polish it. Before I bought the Disco, I use to wash my other truck annually. Those layers of dirt did protect my paint work because when I traded it in for the Disco, I washed that layer of dirt off to reveal a surface that looked like new. My other reason not to wash it was the belief that a dirty car would not be attractive to car thieves. Years ago, I let bird droppings on one of my car at the time on for a period of weeks. When I finally washed it off, it left a stain that will not come off. It's not just us that digest chemicals.

dickgriff - I have another section on the Disco that still has resin on it. I will try your suggestion and turps as somebody else suggested. I don't smoke but I do like the smell of petrol......

Post #8999430th Sep 2006 11:09 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DiscoAtom, I have used Lanotech to remove bird droppings and splattered insects from the paint of my 4WDs. The lanolin seems to soften the problem and a careful wipe with a quality polish finishes the process.

Steve N, for information, the bottlebrush referred to by DiscoAtom refers to a genus of plants that are very common in Australia. Their common name is derived from the appearance of the flowers. Check the photo below for proof of the similarity to your bottle brush. And no, they can't be used as bottle brushes! <g>

LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #9288411th Oct 2006 7:45 am
DiscoAtom

Thanks for the suggestion, LeighW, I learn something new everyday!! Further to the problem of removing bottlebrush resin, I also found window cleaners such as Windex and Ajax Triple Action very effective. The common ingredient in it and baby wipes seems to be ethylene glycol.

Just came back from a weeks holiday at Gold Coast and had a whale of a time. LeighW, you are fortunate to be living so close to paradise.....

Post #9395314th Oct 2006 2:36 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

'cept when you have to work there... (Like I occasionally do).
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #9422615th Oct 2006 10:48 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Your best bet would be road tar remover, most auto detailing brands should have a tar remover.

Next best would be kerosine. Petrol will work but may contain alcohols which would not be good for the paint / plastic.

-- Paul

Post #9464517th Oct 2006 10:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >