Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

I replaced 4 glow plugs.......now it wont tickover.......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
skinthespin

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
I replaced 4 glow plugs.......now it wont tickover.......

Hi Guys,

Quick question if I may. Had all 6 glow plugs fail and last year when it was very cold (for the UK anyway!) I had to heat the engine with a heat gun to get it going.

Turns out all 6 had failed and all 6 snapped int he head whilst trying to remove them, the joy. In the end the garage replaced 4 of them, the easier ones. The car starts fine but the tickover until warm is horrendous, is this a result of just replacing 4?

I have read the glow plugs do more than just start the car in the Disco but surely after a minute or 2 they do nothing? The car is lumpy for a good 10 minutes after starting.....

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Post #200994017th Dec 2018 8:55 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The glow plugs are just heaters and only cycle for a few seconds then off, once the car is started they have nothing to do with running the engine. I suspect that if they had to drill them out then some debris from doing that has got inside a cylinder and maybe damaged an injector tip, or stuck on a valve seat.

Was the car running ok before the glow plug change.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #200996117th Dec 2018 10:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think you'll find that the glow plugs do stay on as and when the ECU decides, in order to help combustion. They also stay on once the engine is running if necessary. It can take longer than 10 secs for glow plugs to reach temperature and start to do their work.

I'm guessing the issues you have are only since the weather has gotten cold again? Having four plugs working out of six isn't going to help cold starts or running, so on balance it's probably your two missing plugs that is your issue.
If the engine runs okay after 10mins. and also warm, then as well as getting the last two plugs fitted, it's worth plighibg the car in to a diagnostic tool to check everything else is okay too.
MAF/MAP etc. Can all give starting problems.
Two known non-working glow plugs has to be first call tho'.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #200996517th Dec 2018 10:14 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up If the engine was turned for any reason during the removal process with the injector plug removed it can damage the injector tip.
An Iid tool should be able to detect the faulty injector(s).
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #200996617th Dec 2018 10:16 am
skinthespin

Cheers guys,

Yeah it was ok before the plugs were changed. I assume if there was debris in there then it would run rough even when warm?

Would 2 plugs being down make it do this? I have put it on a diagnostic tool and nothing, no MIL either......

Thanks again

Post #200996717th Dec 2018 10:17 am
M3DPO

I agree with your first statement and was just about to say so Thumbs Up
The glow plugs do nothing to effect the running of the engine, except for the first 20 seconds or so after the engine starts as they do remain on for that period.
If the spray pattern of an injector is not correct it will not fire until hot, if the spray pattern is a fine jet rather than a spray in can cause further serious damage over time, a little like a oxy-acetolene burner being pointed at metal without moving.
My guess is an injector tip(s) has been damaged either by shrapnel or the engine being turned while the electric plug is removed.
Injectors are far easier to remove than than heater plugs Thumbs Up but very expensive new, two types of injectors are fitted to the D3 if changing make sure you get the correct ones, number is stamped on them.

Post #200997417th Dec 2018 10:34 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Quote:
or the engine being turned while the electric plug is removed.

Not heard this before. Do you mean unplugging them while the engine is running ?

So you say 6 broke, but 4 replaced. What happened to the other 2 ? How was the hole blocked up?

Have you read fault codes ?

Post #201002717th Dec 2018 1:09 pm
skinthespin

hi,

All 6 snapped when trying to remove, just left the 2 awkward ones in there.

Ta

Post #201004217th Dec 2018 1:49 pm
Parky63

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,
Last winter all 6 were diagnosed as dead. I've just had 4 out of 6 replaced. All 4 snapped and the awkward 2 weren't attempted. Last winter it was a ball ache - ignition on, wait till glow plug light goes out, wait another 20 seconds and then switch ignition off and repeat 3 times. Car would just about start and run lumpy for 30 seconds or so. Now, cold starting is a doddle - ignition on, wait for glow plug light to extinguish and turn the key. So for me, 4 out of 6 is good.

David
 2006 D3 HSE Buckingham Blue
Silicone Intercooler Pipe
MAP Sensor cleaned
N/S Drain Tube Elbow 

Post #201006017th Dec 2018 2:31 pm
skinthespin

Cheers Parky, I am thinking it could have a secondary issue such as EGR maybe. Seems like a coincidence but anything is possible.

Belches out black smoke on start up too, just read the 24 page thread on here re EGR valves so ordered some blanking plates and see if that makes a difference.

Post #201006117th Dec 2018 2:33 pm
Parky63

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Skin,
I'm no expert but, black smoke on start up surely means it's firing and running rich. Unburned diesel produces white smoke. If only I could remember which way round it is for a new Pope Laughing
 2006 D3 HSE Buckingham Blue
Silicone Intercooler Pipe
MAP Sensor cleaned
N/S Drain Tube Elbow 

Post #201006617th Dec 2018 2:45 pm
skinthespin

Absolutely, could be a split intercooler pipe etc that's been disturbed during the work or a coincidence, not that I believe in them particularly.

My original question was really could 2 dead plugs and 4 new ones cause the horrible lumpy idle when cold and I guess it could but only if the garage have been proper monkeys.

No idea on the pope.

Post #201009117th Dec 2018 4:28 pm
M3DPO

Yes definitely, but only for a few seconds or minutes maximum, think about it, the ecu is giving the injectors the maximum amount of fuel to start the engine (remember the excess fuel device on old Diesel engines or the choke on petrol engines), four cylinders fire up quickly because they have pre-heat leaving the two without heat still receiving max fuel until they fire up, when they eventually do fire up the cylinders will have liquid diesel inside them, until this liquid has burnt away you will get a lumpy running engine and enough black smoke to upset the neighblors Laughing
Don’t blame the garage as I understand it after all they are following your instructions by only changing 4 heat plugs, the heads may need to come off to change the other two which may mean the body has to come off Shocked
If the two that snapped off snapped at the bottom of the threads they are equal to a loaded gun without a safety catch, should they work free whist driving they will shoot straight through the bonnet like bullet Shocked Arrow
If you have normal power after 1800rpm the turbo pipes and egr valves are good. A working FBH with a remote pre-heat may be a big help to cold starting.

Post #201012217th Dec 2018 5:39 pm
skinthespin

Hi there,

Not blaming the garage for changing 4 plugs, like you say, that was my choice. They could have done all 6 but the cost for the rear 2 was a disproportionate amount, so left them. There is a possibility (according to this thread) the garage caused some damage to the injectors and there could be a possibility they damaged something else such as an intercooler pipe etc.

What I am trying to establish is could the very lumpy idle be down to 4 working plug and 2 duff ones. I agree on the smoking but I also know I used to start the car warming it up with a heat gun, which will put a tiny amount of heat in when compared to 4 firing cylinders. If the lumpy idle went away after a minute or 2 while heat transfered to the other 2 cylinders I wouldn't mind but it seems to last for a good 10-15 minutes until a decent amount of heat is in the motor.

If I drive away when the idle is lumpy it drives ok to be fair, although I usually take it easy when its cold.

The EGR blanking plugs are so cheap and easy to fit I thought I would give them a go before wading into the garage and/or paying a large amount to fit the last 2 glow plugs, as it doesn't really make sense to me having 2 duff ones would cause this much of an issue.

If that all makes sense!!!!#

Thanks for the help!

Post #201013017th Dec 2018 5:59 pm
M3DPO

The engine should have settled down and be running smoothly well before that with only two bad heat plugs. Below photo is an excerpt from a post by Disco-Mikey, it shows the information an Iid tool can provide, an acceptable reading is between 800 and 1200. A compression test on all cylinders may also be necessary.

This is the best way to find out what the injectors are doing.

Post #201013617th Dec 2018 6:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >