Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Replacing door latch / window regulator - Now with guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

The trick with the far guide clip I found, was to contort your arm in such a way as you panic its there to stay, and suddenly it was possible!

Did you have the window down about 4-5" to start with? I found that was critical for far guide, I had it too low to start with and could not get my arm in so had to re-attach loom to window switches to move it up a bit.

The initial clip on the grab handle was a pig I admit, small screwdriver in the right places was the secret for me.

I broke a clip of the 4 lugs holding the cable to the lock, but it went back in ok and the door kinda means the cable cannot come out once its in place.

Well done that man Thumbs Up

Post #9400408th Jun 2012 10:11 pm
barnstormer

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
What a superb guide

Thanks for the great thread,

it took about 1.5hrs to swap a door latch. All is well again, no more clambering to lock door from the inside or alarms going off because accidentally opened doors.

B.

Post #94343117th Jun 2012 12:38 pm
MattJ73

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I love this place. Lucky that i love the car.

Post #94657025th Jun 2012 3:53 am
Pilbara Disco

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the great guide, replaced the latch today, this is the second time, the latch appears to last 3 years. Found releasing the window clips easy with my son helping to pull up the window. Hardest part was
- pulling off the grab handle cover, best to release the front top clip by sticking a flat blade screwdriver up from the bottom. You can see the clip if you have a look from underneath with the grab handle cover pulled out a bit. Use a small torch to assist.
- releasing the cable clips for the outside door handle. Follow the instructions using the flat bladed screwdriver, you just need patience and it will eventually release.

For those who can't open the door because the trick with jiggling the inside handle and pushing the centre console unlock buttons does not work, you need to persevere as you will not be able to remove the door card with the door closed. Trust me I tried it. I eventually removed the inside door handle and accessed the cable. I found by pulling the cable you can feel a point where the resistance changes slightly, at that point push the unlock button on the centre console and hey presto, it finally unlocked!

Good luck!!
 Phil

2006 Disco 3 HSE
2.7 TD 

Post #9622864th Aug 2012 8:32 am
steve the magpie

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Hi guys brill imput

Changed my osf latch today by using this great guid no problems at all took me just over 1 to 2 hrs Thumbs Up Hope it lasts as it seams a very common fault thanks guys better than a Haines manual Rolling with laughter
 always up to somert usualy no good acording to swmbo  
Post #96970926th Aug 2012 2:05 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Replaced my NSR door latch today thanks to the excellent instructions here and @Martin's guide on the Wiki:

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Rea...eplacement Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The most difficult parts, I found, were:

Initially removing the top part of the internal door grab handle without breaking it Evil or Very Mad
Removing the little plastic clips that hold the external door handle cable into the latch mechanism without breaking them Evil or Very Mad
Wiring the external door handle cable into the new mechanism (a pig of a job, as you say) Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

The plastic clips that hold the internal door grab handle are extremely delicate and I managed to break them both. It looks as though the plastic piece (containing the screw holes) that attaches to the inside of the door card is a replaceable part (only held on with one screw, I think?) but hopefully somebody else can confirm. I may replace this at some point if the kids completely destroy it.

I also had some trouble with the external door handle cable making a run for it into the deepest, darkest, corner of the door skins (completely inside the outer edge of the door!). If this happens to you, use a torch or other lightsource to locate where the cable enters the external door handle mechanism (inside the door cavity) and use a screwdriver to guide the cable out from where it is hiding. I found that getting a helper to keep some string around the cable outer (through the latch port) helped prevent this from happening again until the end of the external door handle cable is safely located into the new latch assembly. Thumbs Up

I would recommend refitting the curved plastic clip (at the end of the internal latch cable) to the internal door handle BEFORE refitting the door card. That way, you have a bit more flexibility in positioning it and it seemed to clip back in much easier than when the door card was back on.

Thanks again for the excellent instructions here. Hope the tips above help the next person.

Cheers,

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #9862376th Oct 2012 4:24 pm
geoff.

England 

bump Thumbs Up

Post #100965726th Nov 2012 9:58 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Awesome thread and wiki. Useful so far apart from the fact that my door will not open at all, therefore cannot take the torch in the door side out to release the solenoid thing. Any advice please?

Many thanks Thumbs Up
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #10653042nd Mar 2013 9:00 pm
amino

England 

has anyone got a spare passenger RHS latch? looking at the start of the thread from 2009 the part was ~£35 + VAT, now its £96 inc vat Shocked did LR figure out this was a common failure point and hike up the replacement price? Sad

Post #111007429th May 2013 2:45 pm
Pilbara Disco

Dave wrote:
Awesome thread and wiki. Useful so far apart from the fact that my door will not open at all, therefore cannot take the torch in the door side out to release the solenoid thing. Any advice please?

Many thanks Thumbs Up

Dave, refer to my previous post, it may help...
"For those who can't open the door because the trick with jiggling the inside handle and pushing the centre console unlock buttons does not work, you need to persevere as you will not be able to remove the door card with the door closed. Trust me I tried it. I eventually removed the inside door handle and accessed the cable. I found by pulling the cable you can feel a point where the resistance changes slightly, at that point push the unlock button on the centre console and hey presto, it finally unlocked"

Regards
Phil
 Phil

2006 Disco 3 HSE
2.7 TD 

Post #113382820th Jul 2013 7:16 am
Pilbara Disco

Just replaced the front passenger latch assy, whole new kettle of fish that one. There is another cable attached to the manual / emergency door lock. This is also must be removed and is above the normal cable. Makes the entire job very difficult to do. Lots of swearing involved and I eventually broke off the little plastic clips that hold in the cable. Don't worry about that as once the latch is fitted in position the cable can't come out as it is flush with the inner door skin.
 Phil

2006 Disco 3 HSE
2.7 TD 

Post #113383120th Jul 2013 7:24 am
Digger67

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just replaced my drivers door latch using Ian's brilliant guide! Job completed in 1.5hrs. All is good again and no more reaching in from rear door to lock up.
Thanks again. Paul Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 TDV6 S - EGR's blanked, RRS front lower wishbones, detangoed
2013 Swift Conqueror
Previous Landies:
2001 Disco 2 TD5 GS
1997 Disco V8 3.9
1990 Disco V8 3.5 with LPG conversion
1970 Series 2A SWB
1974 Series 3 LWB 

Post #113722128th Jul 2013 12:36 pm
joakes

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Door latch repair

Does anyone know if this part could be a direct replacement for the internal motors, it's available with Long and short shaft ?

http://www.amazon.com/Central-Actuator-Mot...sbs_misc_2
 joakes  
Post #114226310th Aug 2013 2:49 pm
mike23118

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

AAAAHHHH its all going wrong Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad First off I could not get my fat arm's or my hand for that matter in through speaker hole and behind winder to undo the second window retaining clip, Just would not fit,
Nipped around to my mates house, thirty seconds later, window tapped up out of the way.
Back home to finish the job off, get everything un-clipped and removed latch is out And on kitchen worktop (dont tell swmbo) open box Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked wrong part !!! passenger door not drivers Oh POO Evil or Very Mad phoned very stressed local indie correct one will be there in half hour but they have gone up and I owe him another £36,
Shocked Shocked oh poo door wont stay shut now how am i going to get there !!! if I had any hair I'd pull it out Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head
Rolling with laughter

Post #11531405th Sep 2013 2:52 pm
Karba78

France 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Part Number

Morning All
just went through this fantastic guide, took me one hour to get access to the latch and take it out
as i feared, the plastic mechanism is broken, and will buy new one..
however need your help guys avoid buying the wrong replacement

the part number on my latch is FQJ000203-D see photo

not sure what the '-D" means
i found several FQJ000203, but none with -D

1st question: are left and right latch the same ?
2nd Question: does the -D mean something to you guys

thks

Last edited by Karba78 on 29th Mar 2014 12:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #126113829th Mar 2014 12:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >