Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Replacing filters in an AMK compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
danrjm

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Replacing filters in an AMK compressor

So after unsuccessfully trying to fix the transmission/hdc warnings on my 57 D3 HSE (replaced battery, rear light switch, rear lights and fuel filter, so I guess it's the fuel pump? ... Off to the garage!), I'm moving onto the air suspension compressor.

The error is slow compression, which I gather is usually because the filters and dessiccant are clogging it up. It's a D3, so must be a Hitachi compressor, so looked up how to do it all only to find, on taking the case off, that it's an AMK. No idea how old it is or what type and can't find much on how to replace the dessiccant and filters on them, or even where to get a good kit to do it. Photo is attached not the best, it's a bit awkward to get too). Interestingly, there is some white powder around a joint towards the back of the unit where the black tube meets the metal back by the nearest dampening bolt, maybe you can see it in the photo, is this the degraded dessiccant?

If anyone has a guide, that would be great. I'm guessing that I detach the two electrical connections at the front, the airline on the side and the other on the back, under the three bolts and slide it off the dampeners... Then how do I get into it?

Post #217420116th Sep 2020 6:32 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Assume it doesn’t drop overnight as a leak can also cause that error if the compressor is trying to raise the suspension and have an air leak

However , If u don’t have a leak, some dry the silica , here’s a link of a how to

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/dry-dessica...Amk+filter

Also if needed Believe this is the AMK kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-AMK-...SwiNNdkz22

Before do anything , pull fuse F26 in the engine bay or disconnect ur battery , u will also need to discharge the air from the system, either using diagnostic or slightly undoing the pipes from the compressor until u hear air escape and wait for it to stop

Please if I may add, make sure u don’t get under the disco without axle stands, also if you’ve removed the fuse and after reinstalling it the disco will drop to the bump stops

After recharging the system, soap test all ur joints

Hope that helps

Post #217420416th Sep 2020 6:51 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Remove as you described, then it is only a few bolts and apaert it comes, I did mine on my D3 a few weeks back.
Since new dessicant and filters no warnings have come on and its working just fine.

Post #217420916th Sep 2020 7:25 pm
danrjm

I've just done it - tried the microwave method. Not much water came out, only took about 3 minutes for it all to dry. Although that may not have been the problem as, when I was cleaning the casing, the black air inlet connector attached to the side fell off. From the looks of it, it was either glued or sonic welded in the factory and, for whatever reason, had failed. I superglued it back on - I guessing that as it's the inlet, it's not under much pressure and the glued joint is pretty strong now. Also found one of the three bolts through the rubber supports had snapped but it has enough thread to hold it in place.

Anyway, changed the car hight a few times and drove it around the block and no warning light whereas, before, it was usually on before I'd even left the driveway!

Post #217423116th Sep 2020 9:04 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Fixed is fixed, and if it fails again you now know the score it will not take long to fix.

Post #217432717th Sep 2020 12:51 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I got an AMK overhaul kit from 4x4 Seals. In the instructions there was a link to some very good YT videos showing exactly how to change the seals, desiccant etc but it didn’t show how to remove the compressor from the car. It’s a fairly straight forward job if you have the correct tools.

Post #217432917th Sep 2020 1:01 pm
gstuart

danrjm wrote:
I've just done it - tried the microwave method. Not much water came out, only took about 3 minutes for it all to dry. Although that may not have been the problem as, when I was cleaning the casing, the black air inlet connector attached to the side fell off. From the looks of it, it was either glued or sonic welded in the factory and, for whatever reason, had failed. I superglued it back on - I guessing that as it's the inlet, it's not under much pressure and the glued joint is pretty strong now. Also found one of the three bolts through the rubber supports had snapped but it has enough thread to hold it in place.

Anyway, changed the car hight a few times and drove it around the block and no warning light whereas, before, it was usually on before I'd even left the driveway!

Hiya

Great the link helped and u got it sorted out Thumbs Up

Post #217433217th Sep 2020 1:09 pm
danrjm

Yes, it was great thanks - No issues with the suspension since! Thanks! Very Happy

Post #217450918th Sep 2020 9:21 am
gstuart

Brilliant and ur so welcome , always a team effort and so nice being able to give something back to
the forum as god knows I needed help when I bought my project D3

Ended up having to go through the entire suspension system as it was in such a mess

Apologies I’m gassing again Laughing

Great it’s all done Thumbs Up

Post #217452518th Sep 2020 11:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >