Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Replacing rear disc brakes. Advice on EPB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bmbmdmb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Replacing rear disc brakes. Advice on EPB

The rear discs are starting to show signs of wear and will need replacing in next 1000 miles.

I have changed lots of brake discs on non EPB vehicles but this one is new. I have read the disco3 bodsy guide.

Apparently the rear discs are thinner than the front discs, according to dealer. Dealer parts wants £600 for all 4 discs and pads. Apex discs and pads are half this.

1. Would it be good practice to replace the rear brake shoes which can only be inspected when the rear disc is off?
2. I have found 3 ways to rewind the EPB. The disco 4 EPB obd electronic tool. About £90. I could buy or get Foxsat one that does other models as well diagnostics.
The Bodsy guide involves manual rewind using flat ended screwdriver and removal of fuse.
Third method involves following a sequence of actions seen on Youtube, but also involves pulling out a fuse. I don't want to try this until I am ready, as if it works I will have to use the bed in sequence. The oil reset Youtube procedure did work for me, so I am less skeptical.

I d buy a electronic tool but £450 is a lot for a limited number of functions that might be a fudge on several manufacturers and will be out of date in 18months. None include ABS function, useful for bleeding brakes. Tech2?

What method is recommended on early disco 4 for retracting EPB. What has been successful for you? Thanks.

Post #191409013th Feb 2018 12:32 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I havent a clue on the 4 but on my 3 I did the shoes with no eelctronic tools at all, just unwind the adjuster as far as it will go and off comes the disc, one side was a doddle other side a right pita, later I found out you can use the IID tool to set the epb module to demount mode which apparently gives you more slack and makes the job a lot easier!

Post #191410813th Feb 2018 8:37 am
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You need to go into de mount mode and wind the adjuster fully in just to get the discs off, the decide on shoe condition are the operating fulcrum seized etc lubricate them any way make sure the shoe retaining pins are sound if they are at all rusty replace them otherwise if they fall apart your shoes will cause bother down the road.

Post #191411813th Feb 2018 9:30 am
bmbmdmb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Has anyone done the rear brake disc change with manually adjusting the adjuster who owns a. Discovery 4?

Can anyone recommend a OBD connector electronic tool?

Post #191442113th Feb 2018 11:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >