Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Resetting of Offroad Suspension height when exceeding 40 kph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Resetting of Offroad Suspension height when exceeding 40 kph

Does anyone have a software fix for this problem? To get up larger sand dunes the D3 needs the clearance and momentum BUT when you hit 40 kph it sits down and Censored . For the desert and also outback travel on rutted tracks the higher clearance is required. In sand 60 is OK on tracks sometimes 80 is required.
Sad

Post #760496th Aug 2006 5:03 am
Jamo

Australia 

Firstly, welcome to the forum! Very Happy

And, no. But i beleive that it's being worked on.

And, whilst it's small consolation, it shouldn't actually lower itself until 50kph. (with warnings only from 40kph).

But, why is 80kph required on tracks??
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #760506th Aug 2006 5:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry, Desert Traveller but it would seem that in a society that can and will sue for practically any reason at all, LR has seen fit to limit the maximum speed that the D3 can travel whilst in Extended Mode.

Maybe they don't want to have the hassles of being sued by someone who has tipped their car over due to forgetting the capabilities or restrictions of the cornering ability of a large 4X4.

You may want to talk to those people that have developed the Turbochip/JE (e.g.) software modification that remaps other controls to see if they have any suggestions. They are members of this forum and may wish to offer suggestions.

But I know that this subject has been explored before without a positive answer.

Good luck, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #760516th Aug 2006 5:34 am
Desert Traveller

On the first day I had the D3 I had problems on Fraser. The exhausts are now well polished. The sand tracks were rutted. I needed the extra clearance when travelling at between 60 and 80 especially high on the beach at the southern end.
I do a lot of sand driving locally and it is a real problem getting up the big dunes following existing tracks at highway settings.
Also with my previous Discos (I and II) I travelled extensively in the outback. After rain and before the graders get out, creek crossings and dips are very rutted. Extra clearance is required. At the highway settings the D3 will act as the grader.
When you need to travel hundreds of kms on these "roads" you really do want all the clearance possible.
I am planning a couple of extensive trips next year when I can get some decent 18" ATs or MTs, I will not even take the Goodyears on gravel roads.

Post #760526th Aug 2006 7:04 am
Jamo

Australia 

I understand where your coming from, particularly with the sand. But I've never attempted a creek crossing or driven through a dip at over 50kph.

Don't know about Fraser as it's too far away, but on soft sand here I've found 40kph adequate. Note that if you are using the wranglers, they need to be down to about 10-12psi to work on soft sand. Anything higher and you might as well be on highway pressures.

As for tyres, there's a General Grabber AT2 coming out in 255/60R18. Or you can do what some of us have done and that's buy a second set of PerformanceWheels BB6 17x8 and fit LT245/70R17 STT's on them. You can only do this with the TDV6. The V8 brakes are too big to go below 18".

In any event, as soon as someone works out how to bypass the safety limit, I'll get mine done!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #760536th Aug 2006 7:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desert Traveller

You can go the Photos section of the website and look at the Simpson Desert 2005 and it will become obvious why even in the desert high clearance is required. The Disco 2 was mine. 45k in 5 years, only offroad trips.
http://www.cqoffroad.org.au/
I would even accept a software lock that would limit the extra height to low range only or up to 3rd in high range.

The AT2's look the go at this stage. Goodyear have a P265/60R18 (Load rating 109T) Wrangler Silent Armor availble in USA but do not want to bring them to Australia.

I have a TDV6 SE fitted with a colour coded ARB bar and 9000lb Warn. Next will be a Kaymar rear bar as I damaged the plastic skin of the rear bumper.[/url]

Post #760596th Aug 2006 8:24 am
Jamo

Australia 

Well, 4x4Australia just published a simpson crossing with 2 D3's. They mentioned the clearance, but still made it with snatching (just like you!).
They probably wouldn't have needed snatching if they'd had the rear locker.

That picture of the discio in the mud looks more like a traction problem than a clearance problem.

If you ask me, whenever high clearance is required, so are slow speeds.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #760606th Aug 2006 8:37 am
Jamo

Australia 

But while were on it; 10, TC or JE, anything being developed for this ????
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #760616th Aug 2006 8:42 am
Desert Traveller

The Disco (it was fitted with the air suspension) in that case got bogged bacause it was travelling too slow. The bog hole was "bottomless".
Having travelled over most of the Simpson and Qld over the last 30 odd years in 4WDs I know from bitter experience that clearance is king. When travelling long distance on rutted roads you do not want any body parts dragging. Most of the roads in western QLD can sustain "high" speed cruising if you have the clearance.
As a driving instructor, you are correct in saying high clearance equal low speed, but it is all relative. 60 to 80 kph is not high speed on straight outback roads but is in the desert or sections of the OTL.
I have read the 4x4Auatralia article, for purely desert and sand work the Cooper Zeon and HPs are perfect tyres but on gravel roads and trails I would have major concerns.
I do have the rear locker fitted, that is why I ended with a white disco.

Post #760676th Aug 2006 9:59 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is a German oufit that has an override developed for the air suspension system.

Mentioned here on the forum but cannot find it myself Embarassed

OK... here it is Smile

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph...suspension

hope this helps

Post #760686th Aug 2006 10:00 am
Jamo

Australia 

I wouldn't bother with the Zeons or HP's. I spoke to Cooper Tyres a while back and they told be that they were both 100% formed road tyres.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #760706th Aug 2006 10:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >