DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Residuals on 1-2yr old Disco4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
4by4fan

United Kingdom 
Residuals on 1-2yr old Disco4

Hi all,

Am new to the forum having recently decided that I needed a 4x4 and by process of elimination came to conclusion that a Disco 4 ticks the most boxes for me! (Volvo too ugly/dull, q7 too big/difficult to park, x5 is a great drive but isn't a genuine 7 seater).

Am looking to pick up a 1-2yr old HSE in the new year. Residuals seem to be holding up well at the stealers - for instance am seeing 11 plate 6 speed models on sale with lowish mileage (10-15k) b/w £40/45k. Why would anyone buy a 6 speed model for £45k when brand new with decent options would be £55/56k, throw in some discount after negotiation and you probably end up with one for £50/52k. What am I missing here??

On the other hand am seeing 8 speed models with similar mileage offer down to £42/43k, which seems a bit more realistic. (So this clearly tells me some of the stealers are mispricing their cars, although I get that condition of car/exact spec can lead to varation in mark up, as can a couple of snowflakes this time of year!)

Interested to know what people have been achieving on part exchange for 11 plate 6 and 8 speed models to trade up to a new model (i.e. what you paid on new car vs what you got on old) and also on outright sale to dealer (although latter will be small number I guess).

Thanks!

Post #10145715th Dec 2012 10:59 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Firstly, welcome to the forum Very Happy

I change my D4 reguarly and it usually fetches around the £44k mark trade in. This is for a fully loaded HSE as per my signature. You are correct that this time of year, prices can be quite firm due to the weather but that would be a similar state of affairs for any premium 4x4 I guess. You might have to take a while to find the right car but I'm confident that you will be very happy with your purchase. D4 is the best car I've owned. My G4 D3 is also pretty impressive too!

Good luck with your search. One of the site sponsors on here, Gazellio could be a good place to start. His reputation is excellent and his advice is sound. You could start at worst places!

Best,

Steve
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #10146036th Dec 2012 12:13 am
4by4fan

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your feedback Steve!

I took a 6 speed for a test drive when I was trying to narrow down my options and started off with a mid £30s budget.
Now that I've convinced myself disco4 is the right car am tempted to go for the 8 speed HSE (sucker for the latest spec!) However am not sure I can justify the premium just yet to pay low £40s, although as mentioned before there seem several optimistically priced 6 speeders on the market which make the 8 speeders look "optically" better value! (also finding it hard to spin it to SWMBO that those extra 2 gears are worth spending the £5k premium on having seen a few 6 speeders with higher mileage for £36/37 ballpark!)

To your point about trade in price - could you give me an idea of what you've paid for trading up and how long you usually hold the car for? Paying £8k to trade up a brand new model (assuming you got some money off list price) after 1yr ownership doesn't sound too bad given I'm factoring in ~£5/6k depreciation over 12 months if I buy a 12-18 month old car. If year 1 ownership cost (just based on depreciation) on a brand new D4 is closer to £10-12k then I'll stick to buying a used 1-2yr old one under warranty from Stealer!

Is Gazellio an Indy dealer?

Post #10146196th Dec 2012 12:54 am
Dave T

England 

If you are desparate for for an 8 speed why not consider a new XS, for me there isn't enough difference to warrant the extra for an HSE.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #10146406th Dec 2012 7:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I just purchased an April 2011 HSE with 21k on the clock, 20" and tow pack, for £40k, so if you shop around, you can get the right deal.

I swithered about going for an earlier XS in order to get the new 8-speed box, but in the end, would much rather have the extra bits of kit you get with the HSE, than a couple of extra gears and 10BHP more, for the same cash. I also think the HSE is a more desirable car than the XS.

In terms of depreciation - well, I bought a GS brand new when the D4's were first released... £35k or there abouts if I recall (had bright pack, cruise, mats and mudgaurds as optional extras as it was sitting on display inside the stealers). That was Sept 09 and I sold it Nov/Dec 10 and got £30k for it (could have probably got a wee bit more as it was when the snow really dumped and you couldn't get hold of one for love nor money - I had the local stealer phoning me asking if I wanted to sell it back to them!!).

So my advice would be go for the 6 speed, treat yourself to the luxury that it brings, and shop around the country (don't be afraid to travel). Stealers will rarely give you discount, so you'll have to just find one that has good price, like I did).

Happy hunting!!

PS, I agree that the Disco is the ONLY choice when it comes to 7-seater 4x4, having just sold an XC90 Yawn
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #10146536th Dec 2012 8:27 am
vroomvroom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I bought a 13 month old XS (61 plate) with a few bits, 8 speed and 10k miles for £36k plus the road tax

Would have loved a HSE however the gap was circa £8k

Post #10150526th Dec 2012 10:04 pm
4by4fan

United Kingdom 

In terms of XS v HSE - am with Landylad, would prefer the 6speed HSE over the 8speed XS given the luxury level.
Also, whilst debating the brand new vs 2nd hand route, priced up a brand new XS with all the options I wanted vs HSE and there's only a few £k in it and I suppose due to desirability resale probably easier with HSE model. So for me decision already made it has to be HSE. XS only makes sense if you're not too fussed about the overall spec of the car (ok, maybe some badge snobbery involved too!)

Landylad - £5k loss for year 1 ownership on the GS doesn't too bad at all but I guess big difference in spec vs HSE, hence why you went all out with latest one! Wink

Still not clear to me what to factor in for cost of ownership in first year or two if went down brand new HSE route. I know often such purchasing decisions can be often be guided by emotion rather prudence/rationale (!) but easier if I put numbers next to each option so I know what I'm getting myself in for.

Wondering whether best bet right now is to sit tight over winter, wait for 8speeder prices to drop a few £k by end of q1 next year and then be closer to what I'm happy to pay for a high specced 2nd hand HSE. Who knows, by then Land Rover may have announced the arrival of much awaited 9-seater hybrid Disco5 giving 75mpg and then D4 prices will surely come tumbling down!!!!! Laughing
(Ok, VERY wishful thinking I know!)

Post #10150896th Dec 2012 10:50 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Prices still very good for D3's, so now is the time to try and sell it privately, with snow having just fallen. Then shop about. Dealers aren't gonna hike the price up 2-3k just because it's winter - it'll just be that you'll find it harder to hunt down the HSE that you want.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #10151036th Dec 2012 11:14 pm
4by4fan

United Kingdom 

(Don't have a D3 to sell....but agree now doesn't feel like the right time to get a good deal on D4 HSE)

Post #10151126th Dec 2012 11:27 pm
nev

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Sold my D4 this year March 2010,HSE, with extras, 25k miles for £27500...
Dealer offered 30k in part ex...but didnt want part ex..
It was the best price i could get, i guess now winter has fully arrived the prices will be firmer.
Either way, its the most i have ever lost on any vehicle....
But i enjoyed ownership (3rd one) of my D4... Big Cry
 D4 HSE TDV6, Galway Green,  
Post #10153177th Dec 2012 2:35 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Narrowing down the 6 speed vs 8 speed connundrum might help the overall decision...

Have you driven the two on back to back tests?

I have the 6 speed box whilst one of my colleagues has the newer 8sp version... both D4's so you would expect to drive very much the same.

I have found that the 8sp dithers at roundabouts - whereas mine drops straight into an appropriate gear and then goes like stink, t'other one seems to have too many choices... 2nd or 3rd? Not sure, so let's try this one... oh no, should be up one / down one... dither, change, drive, change, lurch...

Horrible bloody experience!

Out of preference, I would rather run around in my 'lower spec' version - may just be something to see if you (even notice it as a problem) or can live with it...
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #10153407th Dec 2012 3:35 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

To throw in a counter opinion, I found the 10bhp and 8 speed box a massive improvement over the MY2010 I had. I was surprised how much difference it made, especially on fast roads where the downshift for an overtake feels near instant. I'm also getting a couple of MPG more from the MY12 over the 10. And XS vs HSE? Be very sure you want that enormous sunroof and the less substantial looking leather for the extra 8 grand or so... I will admit that I don't like the rotary select for sport, but with the paddle shifts I hardly use sport now anyway. And if I want to drive sportily with the ultimate sunroof, well the Boxster's just got its winter boots on, and you could buy one yourself for what you'd save on list by "only" going for the XS!

Post #10156127th Dec 2012 11:07 pm
4by4fan

United Kingdom 

Lifted disco - I haven't had a chance to drive the 6speed and 8speed back to back, only driven the 6speed on a test drive. Reading comments on the forum, most people seem to say its a big improvement but I guess worth finding out for myself.

MartinR - the sunroof seems likes a good feature as let's a lot of light in, the leather supposed to be a higher grade (probably not such a big deal) but I think the main point is a lot of the things I want like reverse camera, harmon Kardon, elec seats come as standard on the HSE......once you add many of the desirable option features to a (new) XS the price doesn't seem much far off the HSE.....Not sure what the difference is on comparable 2nd hand cars, need to take a closer look.

Nev - useful to know, thanks. Although, maybe not so good news - sounds like a £22-25k loss on 2-2.5 years ownership. seems much more that I would have expected....given Stealers probably put it in showroom at £35/36k (as you dont see any '10 plate HSEs even in the low £30s)....so would have expected you to achieve at least £30k on outright sale... Not sure I would be prepared to stomach such a huge loss in current economic environment so does put me off the brand new route (just as I was trying to find a good excuse to go for a '13 plate!!!)

Have others fared better/worse than Nev on selling / part exchanging 1-2.5yr old HSE?? Cheers

Post #10157758th Dec 2012 2:16 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I paid 40.5k for the MY10 D4 XS and got 34k p/x against a new XS 2 years and 34k miles later, which I thought was pretty good ('specially given the condition of the paintwork!) Obv didn't get a lot off list on the new one for that but overall cost to change was OK

Post #10157948th Dec 2012 3:30 pm
Scottish Farmer

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

MartinR wrote:
I paid 40.5k for the MY10 D4 XS and got 34k p/x against a new XS 2 years and 34k miles later, which I thought was pretty good ('specially given the condition of the paintwork!) Obv didn't get a lot off list on the new one for that but overall cost to change was OK

Surely you can only judge residuals on a straight sale as there is to many variables when trading in,only way to get a true value is in the price it costs to change,i changed my march 2010 gs 25000mls for a new gs in march this yr for £6.5k to change,same spec.Well chuffed

Post #10161629th Dec 2012 2:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >