Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Restricted Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Discovery-Dave

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Restricted Performance

Having an issue with an intermittent amber Restricted Performance light which first occurred mid-august.

The first time it happened it was as I started the engine. I muttered a few swear words Censored before doing what every good electrician does.... I turned it off and turned it back on again. And the warning light was gone Question

I was going to the lakes the following day so took it straight to the local garage for a review of the fault codes - none of which seemed relatable to the restricted performance warning (some regarding steering column IIRC, but the garage said there is no faults to suggest the restricted performance light should have come on).

It has however re-occurred but this time remained on even after turning engine off and on again as I did before. I did drive the journey home and after turning engine off after arriving, restarted a few minutes later and the light has gone.

I will be taking it in for another review of the codes but wondered in the mean time if anyone could shed any light on the matter - as you can see my technical knowledge is limited to turning it off and on again..... (yes I know - why did I buy a land rover then?!)

I will say, there has been no noticeable changes in the way it drives and has never had an issue with it since purchasing 3 and a half years ago.

It is a 2010 TDV6, with 50000 miles on the clock, should that make any difference. And it's green - could that affect anything?!

Post #19820789th Sep 2018 10:12 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Start with the basics, have the battery voltage checked before first start up of the day, you need to see 12.1v+ absolute minimum. Anything less can cause ghost faults!! If that checks out OK you then need to have the diagnostic codes read and post them back here!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #198209410th Sep 2018 2:51 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Could be the fuel water sensor. It’s a common issue on the D4.

Are you actually getting any restricted performance when the message comes up? Are you getting any fault codes relating to water in fuel?

I had this issue when mine was on about 65k

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #198209910th Sep 2018 5:27 am
Beretta

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I had the same as well, fault was water in fuel but no actual restriction in performance
 2010 Disco 4 HSE
- Digital Dash Club
- GAP BT IID 

Post #198211710th Sep 2018 7:47 am
Discovery-Dave

Didn't witness any actual restriction in performance,

And when fault codes were read before there was a few relating t steering column, that was about it.

When I take it back for it to be read again I'll post them up

Post #198213510th Sep 2018 9:38 am
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The fuel filter housing doesn't cost a lot and comes with the new filter fitted. If you have a service due I would recommend changing it.

My MY10 D4 did the same thing, 'Restricted Performance' message off and on for ages, long before coming up with a 'water in fuel' warning. Swapped the filter housing complete with the sensor and it was sorted.

Post #198221210th Sep 2018 3:33 pm
Discovery-Dave

May have (hoping I have) found the issue. Battery voltage dropping to 10.8V on starting. After reading some of the horror stories on the Restricted Performance issue, I have my finger crossed a battery replacement will solve the issue.

Having not had to spend a penny on repairs in 3 and a half years I'm starting to get nervous about the eventuality! There's two distinct possibilities:

1. I've found a reliable D4 I should keep and will get many more repair free years
2. It's a ticking time bomb!

I'm thinking 2 at the moment!

Post #198423217th Sep 2018 10:13 pm
Nikki

Australia 

Try a new battery, it's about time if you still running the original.
 2003 D2a Auto TD5 good Landy gone
2015 D4 probably the most amazing yet, why get a RR? 

Post #198424917th Sep 2018 11:02 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Discovery-Dave wrote:
May have (hoping I have) found the issue. Battery voltage dropping to 10.8V on starting. After reading some of the horror stories on the Restricted Performance issue, I have my finger crossed a battery replacement will solve the issue.

Having not had to spend a penny on repairs in 3 and a half years I'm starting to get nervous about the eventuality! There's two distinct possibilities:

1. I've found a reliable D4 I should keep and will get many more repair free years
2. It's a ticking time bomb!

I'm thinking 2 at the moment!

They're all a ticking time bomb Shocked What was the battery volts before start up? If it was below 12v+ it will play havoc!
It is a rare D3/4 that costs nothing in maintenance over a three and a half year period! Lets hope you have not stored up any horrors, as the rest of us are probably shelling out at least a £1k per year on maintenance. Banging Head You probably do need to change the battery for a quality replacement as they all start to die slowly, or even drop dead without warning. Still, if its original it owes you nothing Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #198425417th Sep 2018 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >