Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Restricted Performance + odd fault codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Restricted Performance + odd fault codes

Had restricted performance come up twice today - 3 or 4 miles into an outward journey and the same 4 hours later on a return journey. Cleared both times on restart. No other indications, warnings, malperformance, noises, smells or anything. LRA have left puzzled. Codes are P2279, P2BAE and P0494. Going into Guy Salmon Portsmouth tomorrow but wondered if anyone had received similar codes?

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Post #19709865th Aug 2018 6:46 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think that might be an intake air leak or restriction resulting in exhaust emissions degenerating! If so shouldn't be a big problem so long as inlet manifold is not cracked.

Post #19710095th Aug 2018 8:37 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Mine was a hole in the cross over pipe. Not sure how new yours is,mine is a 2011.

Post #19710105th Aug 2018 8:43 pm
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Those are two promising replies thanks. Hope it's not a blown manifold though! It's really puzzling that it happened both times just a short distance into a journey and then didn't repeat. We'll see tomorrow perhaps. As usual these things happen at the least covenient time - in this case on holiday with grandchildren and with a caravan to tow back home.

Thanks again

Post #19710125th Aug 2018 8:53 pm
UffBrock

OK, the problem appears to have been that the intercooler intake plenum was incorrectly fitted (at manufacture?). That has been correctly positioned and all seems well.

Post #197274810th Aug 2018 6:00 pm
PROFSR G

Result Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197275010th Aug 2018 6:03 pm
UffBrock

Spoke too soon. Problem repeated on A34 yesterday - this time with tin tent on the back. Same P2279 error code and this time a persistent one. Recovered by LRA/AA/their sub-contractor from Southampton after 3 hours sitting by the side of the A34!!!! The recovery driver was brilliant but the communications between LRA, AA and the sub contractor involved were appalling.

Back to dealer today - this time my local one.

Now officially, and by a huge margin, the most troublesome car I've ever owned (and, sadly, I'm going back 50 years here).

Post #197414715th Aug 2018 9:20 am
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Keep us updated, will be interesting to know what the issue is.

Post #197415015th Aug 2018 9:28 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

PROFSR G wrote:
I think that might be an intake air leak or restriction resulting in exhaust emissions degenerating! If so shouldn't be a big problem so long as inlet manifold is not cracked.

I recently had a cracked inlet manifold and was P1247 Thumbs Up
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #197415315th Aug 2018 9:34 am
PROFSR G

UffBrock wrote:
Spoke too soon. Problem repeated on A34 yesterday - this time with tin tent on the back. Same P2279 error code and this time a persistent one. Recovered by LRA/AA/their sub-contractor from Southampton after 3 hours sitting by the side of the A34!!!! The recovery driver was brilliant but the communications between LRA, AA and the sub contractor involved were appalling.

Back to dealer today - this time my local one.

Now officially, and by a huge margin, the most troublesome car I've ever owned (and, sadly, I'm going back 50 years here).

It'll be interesting to see what codes they come up with this time. Hope the manifold is OK, but if its the same codes I'd suspect there is an air leak / burst pipe on the intake / turbo side.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #197422115th Aug 2018 12:56 pm
UffBrock

Don't know about codes yet but the car has been inspected this morning and I've been told that the 'O' ring around, I assume, the exit from the plenum chamber, had been split when it was repositioned. Very fortunately, a replacement was immediately available and is to be fitted so that the vehicle can be made available today.

I've been surprised just how this experience has undermined my confidence in the car. I suppose a contributory factor was that only 10 mins before having to stop on the A34, we'd paused briefly at Sutton Scotney to hand back two grandchildren to their parents. Otherwise, I can't see how we'd have avoided being stuck for 3 hours by the side of a busy road with the two of them. Scary.

Post #197481117th Aug 2018 10:43 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I had something similar a couple of weeks ago but after the second 'restricted performance' message it threw up an engine management light and got recovered to LR Perth where they discovered a loose air intake pipe ?

Upshot was they replaced both an air intake elbow and the throttle body. Confused

Post #197481217th Aug 2018 10:50 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

P2279 is related to the inlet circuit

P2BAE is related to DEF system

P0494 to the viscous fan
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #197492017th Aug 2018 5:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
UffBrock

Well, it seems that every cloud does have a silver lining. I duly collected the vehicle with the air intake pipe from the intercooler correctly located and sealed. I've done a few miles since and it seems as if I'm driving a different car.

I originally took delivery of the car back in August 2016 in replacement for a 2011 6-speed auto D4. Almost immediately I started to notice what I interpreted as a gearbox issue – i.e. the gearbox seemed reluctant to change down automatically when the engine came under a gradually increasing load (e.g. ascending a long hill). As a consequence, the engine would start to struggle. I flagged the issue up to the dealer and even spent an hour out road testing with their master technician but was assured that all was ‘normal’.

Since the latest breakdown and fix however, an improvement in performance has been really noticeable. In particular, the ‘gearbox’ issue has completely disappeared.

What I'm now suspecting is that this intake pipe was incorrectly fitted at manufacture, that there has always been an air leak which, though insufficient to trigger any ‘implausible signal’ error codes, was sufficient to slightly reduce engine power – to an extent that became obvious only when the engine came under load. Only when vibration etc. shifted the pipe a bit more did the leak increase, an error code generate and the ‘restricted performance’ message appear.

The flaw in this theory is that, if this was the case, surely the problem that I thought was a reluctant gearchange would have been glaringly obvious to an experienced LR technician used to 8-speed D4 performance as a restricted power issue?

Whatever, my dented confidence in the vehicle is being displaced by a developing permagrin.

Thanks again for all contributions to my original query.

Post #19798851st Sep 2018 4:14 pm
PROFSR G

Great, hope you keep the smile Smile Smile Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #19798891st Sep 2018 4:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >