Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Restricted Performance, smoke, turbo whine.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
G.W.

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Restricted Performance, smoke, turbo whine.

Okay, chaps. I'm hoping someone can give some advice about this because I'm heading towards the end of my tether.

Since the start of the year, the car's been struggling with Restricted Performance on and off.

It'll tootle around town quite happily but when I'm on a long journey, it throws a wobbler under load.

1st time was on a 'spirited' overtaking manoeuvre just outside Carmarthen.
    Lots of blueish smoke
    Low on power
    Wouldn't rev above 3k
    Reluctant to change gear but Command-shift made it almost driveable.
    Red triangle on the dash for restricted performance.
    This was followed by the orange Check Engine light.
    Called the AA but they were going to take ages.
    After half an hour, she restarted and was okay.

Took her into the dealer under the LR Approved Used Warranty when I could and they cleared the faults and said to bring it back if it did it again. They did however wash it.

2nd time was towing 1500kgs of Swift Challenger up the A470 (Dinas Mawddwy so very hilly).
    Restricted performance
    Low on power
    Wouldn't rev above 3k.
    And when spooling down from a rev, the turbo whine could be heard quite clearly.
    Had to use Command-shift to get up the hill before stopping at the top.
    No check engine light, but after half an hour, was able to restart without drama.

Only for it to happen again.
Red triangle, but no check engine, so continued at a leisurely pace to the campsite.
Another restart and it was fine, so I booked it in to be looked at by my home dealer. I'd have to wait until May, but that was ok.
But (I'm guessing you're ahead of me here) she threw her toys of out the pram again with the same symptoms, this time complete with the Check Engine light.
Called Landrover Assist (LR Warranty) who sent the AA who sent someone local. This was North Wales, I suppose.
Fault Codes Read:
    P006A - Mass or volume air flow circuit. Malfunction
    P00BD - Air-mass meter or air-flow sensor. A mechanical fault.
    P1247 - Boost pressure control low pressure level. Malfunction
    P0235 - Turbocharger boost-press. sensor A. Improper Operation

Car was recovered to Conwy Landrover (60 miles away, but Landrover Assist did provide a hire car. It was a Ford Kuga but at least it worked.
Conwy Landrover cleared the faults and said it hadn't done it again and so was safe to drive. Perhaps they thought that washing it would mend it... The service guy asked how I had been driving it. Well. Like a car... I don't hang around, but I don't exactly drive it like I stole it. Around town, I rarely get above 2.3k revs, but on the open road, I like to keep up. Also, it works for its keep; often towing a caravan.

Early May arrived and, in the stupidly false sense of security that this car seems to generate in me, I cancelled the dealership visit. I'd been giving it an 'Italian tune-up' occasionally, choosing to overtake more and stick around less. It hadn't played up since.

Fast-forward to Bank Holiday Monday and having tootled down to Malvern for a spot of shopping, I decide to give her a bit of a clear-out on the dual-track around Worcester. You're ahead of me again, aren't you?

Yes, much blueish smoke, red triangle, orange engine etc etc.

So I pop home to drop off the shopping and tootle gently to a nice spot half a mile from home, settle down with my book and wait for the AA. I'd ring LR Assist, but of course my warranty has now run out.

He reads the fault codes, and exactly the same ones pop up as before.
    P006A - Mass or volume air flow circuit. Malfunction
    P00BD - Air-mass meter or air-flow sensor. A mechanical fault.
    P1247 - Boost pressure control low pressure level. Malfunction
    P0235 - Turbocharger boost-press. sensor A. Improper Operation

He advises that we take it into the dealer.

He offered to lubricate the turbocharger actuator but was able to find that fix on his magic computer; he expected to see eight fault codes pointing to that, not just the four. He said he'd do it, but, recommended that if he cleared the faults and fiddled with it, that I took it into the dealer anyway. [optimist]On experience, going in as a breakdown gets them the car straight away, so might bump us up the queue a bit. Maybe. [/optimist]

Well, we get to the dealer... I won't name them. I'm too cross. But there is only one dealer near Worcester. You do the maths.

"I'm sorry Sir, we've been told not to accept any more breakdowns."
Well, I nearly had one there and then. I didn't expect there to be anyone running the service department, but thought they would at least accept a breakdown. Especially as I was taken there by the AA. You know, LR's Assist partner...

Anyway, they managed to find the Sales Manager, who took me and my yellow-clad knight in armour around to the comfy chairs.
"I'm sorry, sir," he says, "but the workshop is running at capacity; we're not taking any breakdowns".
"Hm. I'm not surprised it's running at capacity; these are Land Rovers, after all," I retorted.
"There's no need to be like that, sir," he smiled.
He shouldn't have smiled. I then went on to explain, in a voice with bell-like clarity, how this car has been the most unreliable I have ever owned, (an accolade hitherto worn by my Morris Minor, but she's 55 and just passed her MoT again, so can be forgiven). The showroom wasn't exactly thronged with prospective purchasers, but he quickly took notes as I related the whole story to him and accepted my keys. He couldn't promise when it would be looked at (sometime never, I'm guessing) but he backed down and took the b Censored y thing.

I've heard tell of a different pipe for the turbo? She's a 2009 D4, so I don't think she has the differently-routed pipe. But what's wrong with it, and is it too much to ask that Land Rover at least try to fix the thing, rather than just clearing the codes, washing it, and hoping for the best? I was planning a caravan holiday back to North Wales (wanted to test the Dinas to see if she really was better...) and a summer jaunt down to the Dordogne. I'm glad I've nothing booked now, because I'm currently down to the Morris as daily driver again. Which is fun, but she won't tow the 'van!

I'm tempted to get rid and swap her for something more economical (tax is up next month... Shocked ) and although I like the look of the Evoque Whistle this situation has tested my patience and I'm thinking of leaving the fold. For commuting and caravan dragging, the Disco is brilliant (when it's not in the shop being fixed washed) but is overkill.

Anyhow. I get the feeling that I'm only going to get somewhere if I can lead the dealer to the answer. So if anyone has any advice, suggestions for TSBs, or comiserations, please shout out!
 "The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten." Henry Royce  
Post #182107131st May 2017 4:22 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Wow - apart from the towing caravan piece and crap from the dealer I could have written that - same issues - mine started at end of March

Mine currently back with local Indy after they replaced a Turbo Shut Off valve that temporarily fixed the issue - problem they are having is replicating the fault - so they keeping overnight to drive home in a 'spirited manner' so they can register live fault(s) (I hope)

We need to keep sharing notes - hopefully I'll have an update tomorrow

Mines a MY10 with 107K on the clock

Post #182107431st May 2017 4:37 pm
G.W.

So my dealer has been in touch. They reckon that there's a split in the secondary turbo pipe. Not sure what that entails but the fix isn't difficult or horrendously expensive. I wonder if it really is the problem; I'm not convinced. Should get it back tomorrow - will have to plan a few drive-it-like-I-stole-it trips. I can hear the Dinas calling already.
Post #18215451st Jun 2017 7:34 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Those faults and symptoms sound like the TSOV actuator has seized...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #18215481st Jun 2017 7:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

Spooky - got mine back today - actuator replace plus a couple of pipes (not sure which) replaced as looked slightly perished - fingers crossed

Post #18215541st Jun 2017 7:59 pm
G.W.

So. £158 the lighter for a new pipe (yes, I know I could have done it myself for less, so please don't tell me) and they were due to deliver the car back this afternoon.

Phone call: "Was it making a noise from the rear when you brought it in, Sir?"

Rolling Eyes

Now they think there's something up with the brakes at the back. There were no untoward noises when I dropped the car off, so I'm at a loss. And also still without a car. Rolling Eyes
Post #18218252nd Jun 2017 2:45 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

OK - interested to know how it goes after you give it some beans Thumbs Up

Post #18218312nd Jun 2017 2:58 pm
G.W.

So, the dealer has been back in touch.

I've had the rear brakes rebuilt (discs, pads, and EPB shoes) and "when we were bringing it round, Sir, we noticed it was smoking quite a lot".

Ugh... So now I'm told that the EGR valve has gone ping.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to see (or indeed if I want to see) the thing again.
Post #18237487th Jun 2017 4:24 pm
G.W.

Oh God, you couldn't make it up...

They've now decided that it isn't the EGR valve but the turbo drain for which there is a TSB. That would be the TSB that I've been bleating on about for the last six months but each time they've said it's something else.

With luck (and if the 'o' rings that are currently out of stock turn up) I might get her back tomorrow.
Post #182580112th Jun 2017 3:53 pm
G.W.

So, she's back with a modified turbo drain and all is well again.

Although I tried, there was no way of getting either Land Rover to pay to rectify their mistake, but my dealer worked a little magic on the bill which made it slightly more palatable. The parts themselves were not too expensive.

Although not an extensive test, I took the caravan on a reprise of its route to North Wales, during the last day of 'national bike week', so there were many full kickdown overtaking manoeuvres. Rolling Eyes And a full-throated roar up the A470 over Dinas Mawddwy.

No smoke. Full power. Just consistent a surging heavenward. Even the brakes are better (but then, new discs, pads and shoes on the rear will do that...).

So if you've got an early D4 that's smoking like a WWI battleship, get the pipe changed. Huge thanks to all on here for advice on this and other threads. Bow down If only dealers frequented this forum, they might be as well-informed as some of you chaps.

I think confidence might have been renewed for a little while. Mr. Green
Post #183031025th Jun 2017 10:46 am
Poppy Ann

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Hi to all, I have a 2013 Discovery 4 which has decided to put itself into limp mode which as I had a long trip to complete I just cancelled the code and continued on my trip I arrived home and tried to find the cause but nothing came up, is there any way for me to check if this has the modified oil return pipe, I am disabled along with being 67 my days of crawling under cars are well in the past so if there is an easy way to check i would be very happy.

Did every D4 have the faulty oil return pipe or did they build them with the upgraded pipe?

Regards Poppy Ann.

Post #218335230th Oct 2020 6:26 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is similar now. Put any sort of load on the engine it faults with restricted performance. The code it am getting is P006a manifold pressure correlation.

It’s a split manifold/valve cover. There is oil under the engine cover on the side that has split.

It’s still awaiting repair, so in the meantime I’m driving with my iid plugged in, and my phone in its holder on the faults screen. As soon as it faults I hit the reset all and it corrects it. I just have the drive it carefully for now. Max cruise on the flat is about 60 mph. I use the cruise control to speed up and slow down on the motorway and it seems to be working for now.

My car is also a 2013 and I think that the oil drain mod you speak of is already done on these.

Post #218335630th Oct 2020 7:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >