Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Retro fit of Front PDC at main dealer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Retro fit of Front PDC at main dealer?

has anyone had front PDC retrofitted by main dealer, would it be exactly like the OEM system, in looks and how it works and any idea of what I should be paying for it. Question

Its either fit that or a front a bar cos its only a matter of time before the missus bumps it Shocked Rolling Eyes

Car of the Year 2005, 2006 and 2007, Best Large 4x4
Top Gear "Best Car In The World"
4x4 Magazine "Best 4x4 In The World"

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #11927913th Jan 2007 12:37 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Depends on what kind of a retrofit.

If you have rear PDC, then everything except the sensors and the front bumper wiring harness (and some misc clips, etc) will already be present. However, I'm not sure how easy it'd be to cut the holes in the bumper to hold the LR sensors. Christyler replaced his front bumper with one with holes for the front pdc sensors and foglights to avoid cutting up his original one. That said, it should be possible. Only other thing that then needs to be done is to connect the vehicle up to IDS and tell it it has front and rear sensors. You could get your dealer to order one of the bezels/frames that hold the LR sensors in place so you can see the size of hole, etc that is needed - IIRC you need a big hole with two notches cue into the side of it as the bezels are 'keyed' as the outer ones are at a different angle to the inner ones - this is visibly aparrant so you would be able to figure out which goes where anyway.

As for an aftermarket system, I don't know. I doubt they'd be able to control it from the dash switch (not easily anyway). Would assume a seperate switch would be needed to switch it on and off.

As for cost, well, an aftermarket setup would be cheaper without a doubt. I'll look up the price for the front sensors if you want, have it on a receipt here somewhere as I once needed to get a new one when one of mine was damaged.

I retrofitted the LR parking sensors to my last D2 TD5. It cost more, than an aftermarket setup, but I liked having the LR dash button to enable/disable the sensors. As with the D3 it was pre wired for the dash switch and all I had to do was plug in the control module, beeper, and then drill 4 holes in the bumper. Looked at pictures of another one with factory fit sensors to see where to drill, and then just used a big cone shaped drill bit to eat into the bumper. Did it in under 2 hrs.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #11928713th Jan 2007 12:54 am
catweasel

I believe there is some sort of marks on the back of the bumper which will show you where to drill, others have fitted bars and relocated them fairly easily, why pay a dealer (apart from the activation)

Last edited by catweasel on 13th Jan 2007 1:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11929213th Jan 2007 2:06 am
DiscoStu

England 

The holes are marked on the back of the bumper. I saw them when I fitted my spots.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #11935113th Jan 2007 1:30 pm
kevi

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

so is there any thing on this forum telling me how to get the back bumper off

thanks
 Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

2 Too many seats now
No trouble so far
tow pack, tasmods sills
IT goes without saying that you should never have more children than you have car windows 

Post #1342601st Mar 2007 2:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >