DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Retro-fit TMC (again!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Retro-fit TMC (again!)

OK, so I am dragging up an old topic, but I've read through the previous threads and it appears that a couple of people have had TMC retro-fitted by a dealer, however no details are forthcoming on how it is done.

Looking at the system diagrams, it seems that 2 modules are needed.

1, TMC receiver.
Connections:
MOST bus (in/out)
Power
RF in (from antenna)

2, TMC/VICS antenna amplifier
Connections:
Antenna in
RF out

So, questions...

1, Are the TMC/VICS antenna and loom already fitted as standard?
2, Is the RF coax loom fitted as standard?

Assuming 1 and 2 are fitted, then it should be possible to obtain the receiver and amplifier from a suitable donor vehicle and connect up. The final step would be to enable TMC in the CCF, for which there is an option.

Final issue for me is discovering where, physically, the two hardware units are fitted. If anyone can help with that, it would be useful, then I can check my car and see if the looms are there ready and waiting.

Cheers,

Andy
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #4895331st Jul 2009 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I take it if you have read the threads you will also have seen the comments regarding how unreliable TMC is in this country due to the lack of take up by broadcasters, are you sure you want to commit your hard earned cash on something that will only ever partially work properly Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4895351st Jul 2009 11:59 am
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Wasn't wanting to open that debate again, but if taking modules from a breaker they may not be too expensive. If it's going to be mega bucks then I'm not interested.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #4895481st Jul 2009 12:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

If you can get the bits cheap from a breaker then fair enough... I think wiggs (who else Laughing ) has posted on how to do this so it might be worth dropping him a PM Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4895521st Jul 2009 12:10 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not done it my self , but am looking into it ( when i find some more time )

Taken from GTR

The Traffic Message Channel (TMC) receiver is located in the rear RH side of the luggage compartment. The TMC receiver is connected to the MOST ring and transmits TMC data to the navigation computer (via the TSD). The navigation computer then displays this information on the TSD and also re-routes the navigation guidance around any traffic hold ups. The TMC data is received via the FM antenna located in the rear screen via an antenna amplifier located above the rear tailgate spoiler.

I very much doubt the wiring is there already ..especially the MOST cables
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #4897401st Jul 2009 5:32 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Andy

Along with my entire D3's ICE system i have also just retro fitted TMC.

I really don't know / understand how a dealer could retro fit it though.

Especially in respect of the MOST bus, This is a fixed closed loop built into the NAV loom on which there can be no open and ready for addition connectors. Hence its availiable only according to item fitment. Perhaps teh dealer changed that loom for a with TMC one. On mine i had to disassemble my Nav Loom, dismantle the fibre optic connectors and add in odd pre made lengths from what i had scrounged from disassembling other looms, and base the new lengths and connectors on the new positions i expected the ECU's to occupy. Then re tape up my new custom loom. I also had to add a power feed and coax to go from where the TMC unit would be to the antennea. I think i might have used the wrong type cable though as i now have an antennea signal strength fault.

Unnecessary denigrating sentence removed

In recognition of the comments re worth here though i would tell you that for me the situation re TMC is even worse, there are no TMC info broadcasters here at all, and it is likely that there never will be. In fact more often than not i find myself removing TMC hardware from imported cars as after a while the lack of a valid data signal causes the system to think and store a fault to the effect that the antennae is faulty. My only reason for fitting it is therefore due to my professional requirement of diagnostic development.

I also find the description Wiggs has added from the GTR re screen antennae usage perplexing.
As one might imagine i have actually studied this really hard and so am quite sure i have quite a good grasp of it.

For those interested i shall endevour to explain what i now know.

There is in total 7 screen based antennae traces in a Disco 3. three in each quarter glass and one in the rear screen. On the right quarter glass (looking from the back) the 2 each side are for TV and the one in the middle used for FM with a double connector on it. In a low line car this is the only FM ant and it has a small L shaped black amp connected to it.
On the left quarter glass the two to each side are also used for TV (uses a total of 4 ants with 4 amps) and the middle is used only for the Japanese VICS (Vehicle information Communication System) or the US SDARS (Satellite digital Audio Radio System)

The tail gate screen is i believe used only for a secondary diversity FM antennae on a high line system (and premium) where it gets an amp identical to the black low line one but grey in colour rather than black, the RH quarter glass ant then gets a splitter type diversity amp connected to it instead. This grey version of the single amp is connected to a twin connector on the right hand side of the rear screen glass.
There is a single connector pad to the left of the rear screen glass but i do not know what this is ever used for. Rolling Eyes

On mine i have displaced the black low line FM amp from the RHS quarter glass with the diversity splitter amp and although its the wrong colour / type i connected my standard black FM amp to the tailgate glass. It mounts to the right, close to the hinge. I had to solder on a couple of lugs taken from PP9 batteries to connect this to the glass filament though but the Audio unit seems happy and i seem to get good reception.

The TMC ant which looks like the black or grey unit but is rddish brown fits to the left of the tailgate close to that hinge but has no tail or connector to which it should attach to any glass element.

To complete my ant knowledge the PTI phone uses the FIN on the roof and the GPS ant is supposed to fit in the middle of the upper tailgate bar on the outside under the High level brake light. I say supposed only because to fit it you have to cut off the light assembly as its bonded in, i have not ventured to do that yet so i stuffed it inside the inner trim. Might be why my GPS signal is missing Rolling with laughter Bit more experimentation / bravery required methinks.

Of course you also have to edit the CCF to tell the vehicle that TMC is fitted, that you are using ant diversity and so on which was something i forgot until my Audio unit gave me a Configuration Parameter mis match for the antennae, It know you know, Shocked but then that's not exactly a problem any more. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #4897871st Jul 2009 6:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >