DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

HOW TO RetroFit OEM TV/DVD Screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
robbo770

Scotland 
HOW TO RetroFit OEM TV/DVD Screens

Hi Everyone,

as some of you will know I ave managed thanks to Andrew, sourced most bits to allow this project to begin.

My D3 is a SE so does not have the rear goodies, but that will be fixed shortly.

I must thank the forum for the guide

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0Guide.pdf

which does make it a bit easier to get an understanding of the challenges.

so to begin.......

remove the rear boot drivers plastic trim/ cubbie box area.

Click image to enlarge

FIT the TV and DVD/RSE units as shown

then the fun bit!! running wire after wire between the units and the blue AV for the center consule, the feed to the front screen and the two head rest feed wires

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

under the TV unit!!

Click image to enlarge

Now the only issue I have is I need to get a MOST fibre optic extension cable to take the circut from the Silver pro logic amp under the drivers seat to the TV / DRSE unit.

so I will have to pull another cable down, under the carpet and up to the drivers seat area!!.

I have also pulled a 3 core from the front drivers foot well to the rear to allow the correct pin for power selection to be made.

Unfortunately I found I do not have the Brown Ice feed at the drivers footwell!!!!, so powered all via the purple on pin 12.... hopefully it is not live 24 / 7!! or i will have to find a ingnition only live supply.!

I have yet to fitted the rear antennas in the roof yet but have run the cables to the rear drivers piller to allow them to travel up to there locations accordingly, thats 4 units in total under the roof lining! and then some window soldering at the connection points for the rear glass recieption etc.

here is how they get located!

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Keywords: retrofit retrofitting DVD OEM TV headrest screens head rest retro fit fitting MOST antennas

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Last edited by robbo770 on 23rd Mar 2015 9:25 pm. Edited 7 times in total 
Post #107550721st Mar 2013 4:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

silly question ...but do you have the logic 7 amp under the drivers seat ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #107552121st Mar 2013 4:37 pm
robbo770

Scotland 

yes got the silver pro logic, not the highest one though, don't have optical in from the DVD Thumbs Up
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Post #107552521st Mar 2013 4:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

mmm ...so were are you going to get the sound ?
Post #107560421st Mar 2013 6:30 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Robbi,

I have three approx 4 metre lengths of fibre optic cable that I bought from the large one a couple of years back, they have not been used but the packaging has been opened.

The only snag is that they don't come with the protective sleeving and the black connector.
The end looks like this:-

Click image to enlarge

I think this end piece fits into the connector that fits into the modules.

Hopefully Wiggs can confirm this.

If these are of any use to you, you can have them, pm me your address and I'll send them. All I ask is a small donation to the site.

Lee

Post #107562521st Mar 2013 7:09 pm
ajsms999

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hello Adrian Bow down & Rob Thumbs Up

The MOST jumper lead that I sent is OK for connecting the TV tuner & RSE into the existing MOST circuit - or at least it was on mine. I seem to recall I broke into the circuit at the TMC.
You shouldn't need any extra.

If you dont have the Logic 7 amp - just the hi line Harmon Kardon - it still works - the sound is transmitted over the MOST, you just don't get the digital surround sound.

Feel free to give me a call if you need any clarification.

Good luck with the rest of it Thumbs Up

Andrew

Post #107572121st Mar 2013 9:39 pm
ajsms999

Just one small point

The guide that Rob is referring to was produced by forum member 'AjayUK' - simple, clear and concise - excellent work thanks.

Credit where credit is due Very Happy

Just another reason why this forum is great Thumbs Up

Thanks
Andrew

Post #107573121st Mar 2013 9:51 pm
Ajay(UK)

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Ahh those were the days Laughing I remember the retrofit well Rolling Eyes

As already mentioned you can extend the MOST loom at any point and the cable can be easily removed from its black plug. Just remove the blue locking pin and take out one of the cables and add in your extended section of fibre optic cable. Check the direction arrows on the connector and make sure you extend the circuit in and out to maintain the loop.

If your closest connector is under the drivers seat and you are stuck I may have some longer sections of MOST cable "tucked away" in my office Wink

The good thing about this forum is the help you will receive from others, that is unless you were the first to do it Whistle

Andy.
 2022MY Defender 110 D250 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana with options!
2015 Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver, Black Pack
Gone:Disco 4 HSE Luxury, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ivory
Gone:2006 FFRR TD6 Autobiography, Black
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red😢
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2010 FFRR TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE & DVD, Stornoway Grey 

Post #107573321st Mar 2013 9:54 pm
Ajay(UK)

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

ajsms999 wrote:
Just one small point

The guide that Rob is referring to was produced by forum member 'AjayUK' - simple, clear and concise - excellent work thanks.

Credit where credit is due Very Happy

Cheers Andrew Thumbs Up
 2022MY Defender 110 D250 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana with options!
2015 Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver, Black Pack
Gone:Disco 4 HSE Luxury, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ivory
Gone:2006 FFRR TD6 Autobiography, Black
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red😢
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2010 FFRR TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE & DVD, Stornoway Grey 

Post #107573721st Mar 2013 9:56 pm
robbo770

Scotland 
Continuation of the RSE CONVERSION D3

well nipped out to the garage without the wifey knowing to do a bit more now that Dan's goodie bag arrived today!

so here you have before and after Leather cover change overs!!

BLACK HEADREST as bought!

Click image to enlarge

First transition

Click image to enlarge

the covers as they came direct from LR, Cost from Dan at Duckworth around £40!!! superb!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and the new to try and fit Wireless transmitter for the roof for wireless headphones for the middle rear seats; as in all 2010 onwards D4's, RRS and FFRR,

Click image to enlarge

part number

Click image to enlarge

with the new wireless connection loom to the roof!

Click image to enlarge

and the connector end, think this goes into the FFRR type Logic 7 amp (CAN ANYONE CONFIRM??)

Click image to enlarge

I am sure Wiggs will know the answer to this one, spare connection on the TV unit in green'???

Click image to enlarge

Hi Andrew, I have TMC but not in the booT!!!! so no MOST cables where I need them, typical, just when I thought I had it all installed i come to a grinding stop!. Need at least 4 mtrs of bridged loop to get into the circut.

fitting roof aerials all tomorrow, anyone in the D4 forum got the roof wireless transmitter fitted so i know where it is positioned?

cheers, may need to get a module made to take the audio from left and right to the transmitter instead of the volume door control units, this would mean a X volume being set and the headphone volumes doing the rest instead.

anyone got any ideas on this for the middle row as it avoids the door card rmoval and them some bits will be available for others!

so far got a spare genuine remote control for sale now £45

2 x black leather DVD type headrest covers £10 each

thanks,

Rob

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Post #107573821st Mar 2013 9:58 pm
wiggs

I believe it's for the new RSE units ... It's the output
Post #107575921st Mar 2013 10:24 pm
ajsms999

Hello Rob,

As you know I have been looking closely at retrofitting the full RSE into my current MY12 D4 - I am just in the process of acquiring all the parts.

The p/no's you show are the part no's for the current 'whitefire' wireless transmitter and wiring. This system has only been used on the MY12+ vehicles (so far as I am aware).

Previously, wireless audio was only available in the FFRR - in which instance the transmitter is located in the overhead light module - may have been the same for the RRS SC as well.

The cable connection you show connects to the amplifier - in the current 2012+ arrangement.

The audio on the D3 & early D4 (up to and including MY11) is routed to the rear door audio controls(4no. supplied to you). The base vehicle loom is already configured for this - the connectors are just taped back.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Andrew

Post #107591622nd Mar 2013 10:01 am
robbo770

Scotland 

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the info, so the transmitter I need therefore will be the rear lights assembly from a FFRR SC to get wireless broadcas for the rear headphones option.

the parts I have bought are listed for 2010 models onwards via Microcat across the land rover ranges for Info.

here is a image of the Hi line amp connections I have

Click image to enlarge

does anyone have the wiring diagram for this to allow me to intergrate into the discovery??

thanks Rob

:thumbsup:

FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Last edited by robbo770 on 22nd Mar 2013 12:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #107592622nd Mar 2013 10:28 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

I will measure the position of the unit on the headlining when I get home later today this will be as fitted to the D4 MY12, hope that is the one you require the position of.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #107593122nd Mar 2013 10:49 am
robbo770

Scotland 

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

well got some more wiring done today, had the dash and center consule all out and ran the screen feed for the RSE, all connected onto the Green input on the back of the screen. Also got all the TV roof aerial system installed, but no photos of this as I need both pairs of hands for that challenge!!.

still to solder connectors to the rear windows to allow the full aerials to be used.

Also ran the passenger seat screen feed and removed the basic line unit and mounted the AV inputs in the rear of the cubbie box. (Bl..dy tight with the fridge!!)

so that leaves the headrest installation, going to do this in the car, but the bomb shell is the rear doors for second row don't have the connections for the controllers"!!!, the 3rd row did Shocked Shocked , so this hopefully means the main loom is there but the doors are the cheap inferior looms version, you just have to love land rover sometimes NOT!!!!!!!

think I will now definately going to fit headphones for the second row as I can take the audio outputs directly from the amp and take them to a roof IR.

this then removes the problem so long as I can find the output wires. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Post #107632222nd Mar 2013 9:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >