Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

RIGHT! That's IT!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
seddie

Scotland 

Traded in my D3 last week for a nearly new Subaru Legacy Sports Tourer SE Navplus 2.0 diesel. Has all the toys of a HSE plus more, is a four wheel drive estate and I am getting 50 MPG driving back and fore to town.

Post #94415419th Jun 2012 9:23 am
MSetubal

Jersey 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I am with you on this one brother. Put the LRs to bed. Mine needs a new engine with 37000 miles, 6 years old. I am going to go German, the X5 look good, comfortable and most of all RELIABLE!!!!

Post #94417919th Jun 2012 10:37 am
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I too can sympathise with you,

When i bought mine a few years back, i had to spend literally thousands on faults!! one after another.
From one garage to another Whistle And the same thoughts crossed my mind. However when it was running, it was the best motor i had ever driven. So stuck with it, and kept paying the bills Exclamation
Now after owning the car for almost seven years and clocked up 160k Its still going strong, Dont get me wrong, Do i get the jitters when going on long jerneys YES.......... The old girl keeps on going though (touch wood). We even pull a caravan around now.
I also took her to Andora, a couple of years ago, for a weeks greenlaning. Without a single glitch or drop of oil needed the whole time.
The Old girl is looking a little tired of late, maybe take off the roofrack etc.etc. and have her Detailed.

I know its no consilation to you mate, and i do feel for you, but this after all its faults is the best car i've ever had.

Thumbs Up

Post #94418819th Jun 2012 11:16 am
MSetubal

I also have a Disco 1 and took it to the south of France without any problems, but as she is looking tired I though time to upgrade. Still have the disco 1 and bought the disco 3 as a family car. Just to put in perspective the bill is £7,620.33 for a new engine fitted.

so, you can see my sourness towards LRs.

Post #94419219th Jun 2012 11:21 am
mr.t

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

seddie wrote:
Traded in my D3 last week for a nearly new Subaru Legacy Sports Tourer SE Navplus 2.0 diesel. Has all the toys of a HSE plus more, is a four wheel drive estate and I am getting 50 MPG driving back and fore to town.

Nice car but would have gone for the Outback. Thumbs Up Great Reliability too Thumbs Up

...but you cannot compare it to a D3/D4 I am afraid, not even in the same league of car Laughing

(Ex multiple Subaru Owner)
 LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Alaska White
LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze (Gone)
D4 Landmark SDV6 Black(Gone)
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #94423319th Jun 2012 12:39 pm
mr.t

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

MSetubal wrote:
I am with you on this one brother. Put the LRs to bed. Mine needs a new engine with 37000 miles, 6 years old. I am going to go German, the X5 look good, comfortable and most of all RELIABLE!!!!

Watch for Swirl Flap Issue on X5... big problem on older cars, can take the engine out on a 3.0D

oh, and Boss had a 530D with a blocked DPF, never ran right again.

Wifes X3 developed an engine management fault that BMW Dealer couldn't bottom (65k), front strut went too.

Its all relative Thumbs Up
 LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Alaska White
LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze (Gone)
D4 Landmark SDV6 Black(Gone)
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #94423719th Jun 2012 12:44 pm
MSetubal

I bought this car so that I could take it skiing in comfort. My initial choice was a BMW M5 series, big, comfortable, nice car, but rear wheel drive and snow don't go together, and due to me already owning 2 other landys and I liked the D3, oh why not. Why not indeed I say to myself now.

bloody landys Big Cry

Post #94424519th Jun 2012 12:53 pm
bozmandb9

United Kingdom 

Although I haven't yet bought my Disco, I've felt the pain whilst owning FFRR's!

However I'd say down get too down on LR products. Without doubt there are some annoying design flaws, some of which just should be dealt with by recall. However, when it comes to engines and gearboxes, I'd say they are no worse than BMW, don't know about japanese cars.

Check out BMW sites, you'll find that there are plenty of engine failures, and gearbox failures. Not to mention electrical gremlins.

Anybody who buys a Land Rover for the reliability is mad, but the relatively high residual says that they are still in demand, despite all the problems, bottom line is they are still a great car!

I'm just glad I'm a convert to warranties! Maybe I'm deluded, but it gives me peace of mind! Thumbs Up

Post #94431019th Jun 2012 3:59 pm
MSetubal

I hear you and I am a great believer that if you look after your hardware (car and other stuff) then they'll look after you.

I have other vehicles and these get serviced every year without fail, and yes the ECU on one of them failed and got replaced under a recall just outside the recall period. The manufacturer saw it as a good gesture. Hence replaced without charge otherwise £600.

I have a Honda CBR600RR, serviced every year, never failed. Bought Land Rover, which was serviced every year and prior to purchasing it was diagnostics checked, 4 weeks later it fails with a massive engine failure.

Bike and other car foreign, no problems, Land Rover MASSIVE problems, and that is just 9 weeks after I bought it. Now you tell me, why should I be happy about my land rover.

Moreover, Land Rover UK said, initially that they would be able to offer me the warranty repair price and not the full retail price, and if they had carried that through I would still not been happy but 2K less always help to relieve the pain, but nothing. Actually, they said, we can offer you £1K if you decide to buy a new car instead!!!! Of course I had just bought this one 8 weeks ago and will go out and by another, just because my first one exploded in my face.

Bitten once, twice that is just stupid!!!!!

Please don't take this comments to heart, I guess they are primarily directed at the useless Land Rover UK and their non customer services non helpful department

Post #94431419th Jun 2012 4:11 pm
bozmandb9

United Kingdom 

You are totally right, it is inexcusable. I really think you should take it to the top, and push for more. See if you can get any help/ advice from Citizens advice or AA/ RAC.

By the way, Land Rover do have a Facebook page, it would be interesting to hear if you put a comment up there how they react, whether they try to engage with you, or just delete it!

It makes me very sad to hear stories like yours, because I think LR have some fantastic products, and if their after sales service was better, it would be much more effective marketing than paying some skinny trollop to put bangles on a blinged up FL2!

But there you go, we're stuck with Jaguar LR as it is, and I guess it's Tata in control! But we don't have to take it lying down, so try to get a reasonable outcome, don't let them get away with it. At the very least I'd say they MUST give you warranty price for the new engine. Otherwise just get the car placed straddling their entrance with clamps on all four wheels, 9 am on a Monday morning, and get the press down there!

Post #94431919th Jun 2012 4:21 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

bozmandb9 wrote:
it would be much more effective marketing than paying some skinny trollop to put bangles on a blinged up FL2!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Now that's going to upset the ePoke drivers!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #94433819th Jun 2012 5:14 pm
bozmandb9

United Kingdom 

Can they read? Wink

Only kidding, I quite like it really. I just think the focus of the company could be a little more about customer service/ care, and a little less about 'image'. Thumbs Up

Post #94436619th Jun 2012 6:45 pm
MSetubal

yes, Land Rover do have in fact two facebook pages and I have already made my heart felt feelings in the Land Rover UK page, and I am going to keep on pounding.

I have a dead car, so what have i to lose, nothing!!!!

Post #94436919th Jun 2012 6:50 pm
seddie

Scotland 

mr.t wrote:
seddie wrote:

Nice car but would have gone for the Outback. Thumbs Up Great Reliability too Thumbs Up

...but you cannot compare it to a D3/D4 I am afraid, not even in the same league of car Laughing

(Ex multiple Subaru Owner)

I agree, it's not in the same league as far as drivablity and usability are concerned, and if it had the reliability and economy of the Legacy/Outback, I would have had no problem in buying a newer one.

By the way, I couldn't find a very low mileage Outback, even my brother-in-law, sales manager with a Subaru dealer couldn't find one for me.

Post #94460220th Jun 2012 9:48 am
MSetubal

I got the D3 because it had everything that I wanted in a vehicle. I initially wanted the TDV6 HSE, but but are holding on to these, but then a TDV6 SE with all of the extras of the HSE - Sat Nav, Leather Seats, Front and Rear Heated Seats - it sounded the perfect car. Low mileage and full service history.

At this point, I thought, this is his perfect, this is the car that I want. The wife was pretty happy with the car as well. OK it is a manual gearbox, but she seemed to be ok with it.

So, after a bit of throwing back and forwards with the owner, we agreed a price. Prior to the sale had the car fully checked. The car drove beautifully and everyone was happy with it. I was looking forward to take it away.

Last famous words - My biggest gripe with LR is that after a lot of phone calls and them advising that I would get a new engine at the warranty price, which is 2K less than the retail price they then decided to back down and offer me nothing.

I would have been more than happy with that deal and would have praised, to a certain extend LR and their their attention to customer service. I would, however, still be Censored off that I need a new engine after 37000 miles, and that is not on, but at least LR would have showed some responsibility for their cars and their customers. Instead, I got spat on the face and told to move on.

The Jersey dealer, at least have offered me 20% of the 20 hours labour charge.

I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but the engines are also on back order and LR can not tell me when i am going to get my engine. great!!!!!!

Post #94461920th Jun 2012 10:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >