Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Ripper Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Ripper Question

I am trying to find free ripping software that will alow me to rip to mp3 increasing the recording volume at least x2.
Tried FreeRip but variable bit rate is recording the first song in each album at 30-50 bps and the player tries to buffer Confused
Audio grabber records well with excellent quality but no volume increas possible.
Anyone got any ideas?
thanks
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2300141st Dec 2007 9:18 pm
SN

have you tried dbpoweramp?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #2300471st Dec 2007 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

SN wrote:
have you tried dbpoweramp?

No volume control only normalization. Sad
quality a bit poor on the one I tried.

Free rip gave the right volume level to match the CD and radio at 200%.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2300672nd Dec 2007 1:36 am
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

What you don't want to do is double the volume. Done literally you may end up with a lot of distortion. Most CDs (released since Oasis' debut) run with a very high perceived volume created by very aggressive hard-limiting. In other words, the difference between the quiet bits and loud bits is compressed so the average level is as loud as can be without distortion. (Normalisation does increase the volume but keeps the difference between loud and quiet the same. HL gives a louder sounding track than normalising).

There are lots of audiophiles who hate this and petition record companies for CDs to be re-released with less aggressive mastering!

My guess is that you need to hard-limit your mp3s in such a way (the process may, in the case of a very quiet source, double, or even treble the volume, but will do so without introducing distortion (clipping) to the track). I regularly do this for CDs for my D3 so you have a "louder" recording so you don't loose any of the quieter moments in the background road noise.

Programs like Adobe Audition have this feature. I would imagine that there are others available - but keep a look out for the hard-limiting feature.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Td5 Alive remap, rubber mats, fixed tow bar, disco3.co.uk sticker.

Manual gearbox - steel springs - 17" wheels. No tinted windows, no leather, no terrain response, no foglights, no xenons, no trip computer, no side steps, no mud flaps, no A-frame, no spot lights, no lamp guards, no sat nav, no winch, no roof rack, no RAI, no PDC, no bluetooth, no ipod connectivity, no clear indicators and no bright finish trim. 

Post #2300752nd Dec 2007 9:08 am
caverD3

Thanks Dwillerton
Most of my cds are pre Oasis. Victor Meldrew
What I am trying to do is to increase the volume of the player output to give the same volume as the FM and CD.
Free rip appeared to work no noticable clipping but the first track on each Cd recorded at about 30-50 bps and stpped the sound about third of the way into the track.
The rest of the tracks were ok.
I understand what you mean by the hard limiting which would assist in the listening quality but does not solve the volume input problem to the Aux in of the D3.
Any ideas of a solution.
I did put a small amp between the player and the aux in but this created noise issues which I did not manage to solve.
So I thought a software solution could be a better way to go.
Any ideas?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #2300932nd Dec 2007 10:56 am
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Some car stereos have the option of changing the relative volume of CD, radio and presumably Aux.
Have you gone through the manual for your D3 stereo?
Have a vague recollection of something along those lines being possible, but maybe I am confusing it with something else...

UPDATE:
Just had a look through the manuals for base and premium stereos. Looks like you can't do the above - but LR are aware of the issue:

Note: The volume levels and sound quality
available from devices connected to the
auxiliary inputs may vary widely.

Just have chosen not to try and solve it!

UPDATE2:
Don't suppose you've looked through the manual for the mp3 player to see what output options are available...?
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Manual gearbox - steel springs - 17" wheels. No tinted windows, no leather, no terrain response, no foglights, no xenons, no trip computer, no side steps, no mud flaps, no A-frame, no spot lights, no lamp guards, no sat nav, no winch, no roof rack, no RAI, no PDC, no bluetooth, no ipod connectivity, no clear indicators and no bright finish trim. 

Post #2300962nd Dec 2007 11:05 am
gilmore

England 

You can adjust the sound volume on a track-by-track basis in apple iTunes - though I'm not sure if the "volume" data is encoded back into the MP3 or held in the iTunes database.
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #2301052nd Dec 2007 12:10 pm
caverD3

Player is a Garmin G4 PDA so don't use i tunes. I have looked, no option to increase volume.
I'll have a look at dbpoweramp again and see if it is possible normalize volume up rather than down.
The encoding volume would not cause clipping I would think but the output amp in the player may cause it, but when I was experimenting with levels with free rip it was still ok at 400%. Surprised but the head unit didn't like it at high volume.
I'll let you know how it goes when I have had a good look aat dbpoweramp.
I'll play with the settings to get better sound.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #2301952nd Dec 2007 8:32 pm
DWillerton

It sounds as if the reason for the quiet Aux compared to CD is that the signal going into the D3's aux input is quiet (as per LR's comment). And that increasing the volume of the actual mp3 tracks to solve the issue is liable to create distortion.

I would look at getting a small amplifier to fit between the mp3 player and aux input (or if you were really adventurous wire it in after the aux input but before the actual headunit).

This would boost the input level to a degree where it doesn't distort the music and creates a volume level comparable to CD/radio.

If you were to play a "loud" mp3 (ask a young person for a modern Top 10 dance track) is the difference between the mp3 player and CD that noticeable? If it is, then it's definitely a quiet mp3 player output, so get an amp. If it isn't, then it sounds as if the source mp3s are quiet (as per my hard-limiting suggestion) and you might be better off increasing the perceived vol with software (ie. where you were to start with!!).
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Post #2303193rd Dec 2007 8:49 am
caverD3

As I said I tried the amp idea and had a problem with noise so hense this route to solve issue.
I managed to get a 200 % increase in volume in the ripped tracks with dbpoweramp by playing with the settings.
Now the files are much larger and will only fit few on the SD cards.
I am using variable bitrate and have upped the quality.
Would I be better with a fixed bitrate or an average bitrate? in order to reduce the file size and maintain quality?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #2303663rd Dec 2007 11:33 am
DWillerton

caverD3 wrote:
As I said I tried the amp idea and had a problem with noise so hense this route to solve issue.
. Oh yes, so you did Smile

You should be aiming for about 3-5 mb per track (typical 3-4 minutes)
There's no point in upping the quality - you can't make it any better than it is to start with by increasing the sample rate, etc.
Variable bitrate should be fine - and will get better quality per byte and fixed.
I'm not familiar with dbpoweramp, but I would tend to lean towards its presets for file type.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Post #2303783rd Dec 2007 12:20 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Try wavepad http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/

Post #2304733rd Dec 2007 4:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Thanks guys
I'll keep experimenting with programs.
Thanks TFC I'll try it.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #2305493rd Dec 2007 9:01 pm
DWillerton

And still it continues:

I have just been speaking to a friend of mine, re. this problem. He does all our communications stuff, so knows his stuff. He has the same problem as you with his mp3 player with his new car.

He reckons that an amp is the only way forward, but because you are only looking for a minute increase in signal volume you need to be very careful about what amp you use. There is a professional audio supply company in the UK called Canford Audio and he reckons that their technical people would be able to sort out the right component. That's where he would try first. Also possibly RS (Radio Spares), again UK.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Post #2311386th Dec 2007 10:23 am
caverD3

I tried a small speaker amp; like for an i pod:
Click image to enlarge

took out the gubbins and put in a metal box:

Click image to enlarge

I put a filter on the power supply but I was still getting noise and some distorsion, which coulsd have been caused by poor soldering, but I thought a software solution would be easier. Rolling Eyes
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #2311756th Dec 2007 11:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >