Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Robbie's Guide For Battery & Quiescent Drain Testing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
trailhound

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi, this tool looks like the right spec, or am I missing something?
[url]https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F184013051460
[/url]
It measures dc amps at a resolution of 1mA/10mA/100mA
Any thoughts or experiences?

Post #210628515th Dec 2019 8:25 pm
af3556

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Yes, the UNI-T UT210E meter will do the job, well. I have one and have used it to diagnose battery drain issues on my D3. The clamp will readily fit over the battery to main junction box cable, though won't fit over the alternator cable and hose (it will fit around the alternator cable, but you'd need to trim the protective corrugated hose back to make room).

The meter has a claimed 2% DC current accuracy, so about 40mA on the 2A range. I measure about 7mA when my D3's asleep, which suggests it's within spec. Zeroing the clamp meter can be a bit fussy, but with some care you can get repeatable measurements within about 5mA. In a nutshell, it's more than good enough for the purpose of finding a >100mA drain Smile.

BTW, there are a half-dozen variants of the UT210 meter - the last letter may be important depending on the features you're looking for. I can vouch for the UT210E.

Post #21175511st Feb 2020 9:56 am
af3556

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Quiescent Drain Testing - all bets off for a faulty battery

I just went through a pointless exercise of trying to find an excessive quiescent current drain "fault". I faced a flat battery after the 2008 D3 had been idle a couple of weeks, and after recharging it measured around 1A current draw when the car should have been asleep. I was chasing my tail for a bit with multiple circuits seeming to be drawing excessive current (e.g. both FL16 and FL17 drawing about 300-400mA each, the suspension compressor about 150-200mA).

I replaced the battery, and it's all gone back to normal (under 10mA draw when asleep).

It seems that when the car battery isn't up to snuff parts of the car can't properly go to sleep and all bets are off with regard to quiescent current draw.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/tracing-cur...23-60.html appears to record the same thing - all kinds of oddness resolved by replacing the battery.

Post #21175591st Feb 2020 10:26 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Yep, see Step 1.

Quote:
Robbie's Guide For Battery & Quiescent Drain Testing

1. Always start from a known good point with a charged battery.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #21181773rd Feb 2020 9:03 pm
doorsoff

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for this thread. As a mechanical guy, it’s explained and taught me the electrical diagnostics that I hope will solve my battery re-charge issues. I’d rather spend money on tools and learn, than pay someone else. Not always the most economical way!

Post #212187817th Feb 2020 8:50 pm
rodibest

Israel 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks a lot !!!

Post #215601822nd Jun 2020 8:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oggy_oggy

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Does anyone know if its possible to do a drainage trace when the systems are awake (engine off) ? I feel like the battery in my 2010 D4 drains very quickly if i leave it unlocked or have the boot open for extended periods of time. I usually have interior lights set to "always off" but come winter its almost a necessity.

Trying to convine my wife we should keep the D4 (since i cant think of a replacement) but things like having to preserve battery charge to ensure cold starts are not popular.

Post #21922847th Dec 2020 11:05 pm
KeithBook

United States 

Hi....this might sound a bit shortsighted yet have you attempted completely charging the battery? Separate it first and afterward accuse for the time being of a respectable brilliant charger. Really take a look at voltage with an advanced voltmeter in the wake of trusting that the surface charge will scatter - ought to be basically around 12.8 volts. Reconnect and perceive how long it endures.

You can check for battery channel by interfacing the voltmeter in series with the battery positive lead however trust that the vehicle will 'rest' prior to doing as such.

In the event that the battery is acceptable (test to perceive how long it holds a charge when detached) and your voltmeter shows a channel of an overabundance to follow the channel. There is a definite aide on tranquil battery channel composed by Robbie on the Disco 3 site.

Post #225278522nd Sep 2021 8:52 am
martinf5

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

great stuff! Robbie you're a star!

Post #231309031st Oct 2022 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >