Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Photos, Videos & Media

Rolling in Sedona Arizona
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Rolling in Sedona Arizona

Finally got the FLIP MinoHD camcorder into the Disco, and headed out on the trail to Devil's Bridge, North of Sedona, Arizona.

I did time lapse video (x3), and had the camera mounted on a 'fat Gecko' mount on the front windscreen.

As you'll see, just like in Blighty, there are a few idiots in rental cars who tried the trail, and had to turn back!

They never get far!!! Mr. Green

Great scenery, and we ended up climbing up to the stone arch itself, where I sent SWMBO out to check it was safe... Shocked

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Enjoy: http://gallery.me.com/c.dodkin#100080

Chris.
 08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #45711721st Apr 2009 12:58 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good Video. Thumbs Up

Picture quality is very good.

Will check out that drive when we visit the states next year.

Post #45712821st Apr 2009 5:42 am
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Spent a few weeks around Sedona a few years back lots of off roading out there good book to get is called Back road of Arizona lots of good trails to follow with out to much hassle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #45713521st Apr 2009 5:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I don't understand why the rentalcars had to go back, as normally the rentalcars are the best for offroading Whistle
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #45713821st Apr 2009 6:09 am
cdodkin

Roel We followed a trail of oil on one trail, where a rental car had ripped open it's sump on the rocks. Big Cry

I was amazed how far the oil trail went before we found the car at the side of the trail Shocked

Local rental companies are smart - they check the undersides of the vehicle when you return them, looking for off-road damage Whistle

Post #45729821st Apr 2009 3:19 pm
cdodkin

RLD I have that very book - some good trails, and we've done a fair selection already.

DiscoDad Sedona is a great location if you have the chance to visit - South of the Grand Canyon, about 90 miles N of Phoenix.

Lots of trails, and lots of other stuff to see and do Thumbs Up

Post #45730121st Apr 2009 3:23 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

Had two weeks out there in Sedona also stayed in Flagstaff for two weeks lots to see and do as you say grand Canyon been down there to Phantom Ranch Indian Gardens brilliant place
out to the Painted Desert Petrified Forest Montezuma Castle Tucson Boot Hill it dose exist well worth a visit Monument Valley Up and around Mt Humphrey's highest in Arizona
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #45733721st Apr 2009 5:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cdodkin

RLD Monument Valley Thumbs Up

Took the D2 up there a while ago - amazing location Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Post #45736621st Apr 2009 6:26 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

O that brings back memories except Chevy Blazer Good of roading up around MT Humphries around them ex Volcanoes did 80mils round tripe on some fire roads Thumbs Up

Post #45738221st Apr 2009 7:05 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Plan to be in Phoenix next year so will hopefully check out the trail. Thumbs Up

A place I visited last time out was Bryce Canyon in Utah. Absolutely stunning place.
Stayed at Ruby's Inn which is a superb campground.

Well worth a visit.

Post #45749621st Apr 2009 9:57 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Cdodkin,

I never had problems with rental companies yet.

I drove into the dead valley from the North and had some problems with some hills and ground clearance. OK I didn't damage the sump. It was a nice drive but next time in a 4x4 I said to my wife. And when we came back to the normal roads there was a sign that the road was closed. Whistle
The rental company at San Francisco airport didn't even look at the car, unloaded and left the keys in and didn't hear anything.

Another time in Colorado I had a Jeep patriot

Click image to enlarge

It was black on the top and covered in brown dirt up to the door handles. The whole front was not correctely connected anymore. As I had to be recovered once and left the whole front in the mud. I put it back with the clips that still were OK (about half)
When I delivered it back the only comment I got was Oh this one is dirty.

So I am not sure how accurate rental companies check the cars. My feeling is not.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #45756122nd Apr 2009 8:00 am
cdodkin

Roel I think it depends where the rental company is located.

I know the ones around Sedona are very aware of people using the cars on the trails, so definitely check for underside damage.

They've probably been caught out too many times!

If you hired from a big airport like Phoenix, they probably wouldn't ever check Whistle

If anyone does stay in Sedona on vacation, there are 4x4 hire places that specifically cater to people who want to go off-road.

You can get Jeeps, quads, buggies etc - plenty of fun to be had.

Plus there is a company called Pink Jeep Tours that take you out on some of the more commercial trails, as a passenger.

The 'Broken Arrow' trail is worth paying to experience - the modified Jeeps they use achieve some great feats in rock hopping and suspension extension - and with 6 people on board! Shocked

http://www.pinkjeep.com/

Post #45811523rd Apr 2009 2:36 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

That looks like a very gay day out, you could never show anyone the pictures for fear of ridicule Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45812423rd Apr 2009 3:12 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

Is that place just round the corner from the fender horses at the arts place so them out a few times

Post #45817323rd Apr 2009 5:28 pm
cdodkin

RLD They have a place on the main street for bookings - Pink Jeep Plaza (Catchy name!)

You probably saw them heading out past the (incredibly expensive) sculpture place, on their way up the Schnebly Hill Trail.

The Jeeps are specifically modified for the terrain, and on trails such as Broken Arrow, can get to locations that other 4x4s will fail to reach.

Quote:
The conversion from a stock Jeep® Wrangler to a rolling Pink Jeep Tours vehicle takes about 5 weeks.

The conversion begins at the Service Center where the roof/roll cage and seating system is fabricated and fit to each vehicle.

Then it's off to the paint shop. After a 3-stage coat of premium PPG paint (gorgeous pink), it returns to the Service Center for upholstery.

Right now your comfort is the name of the game; seats are built with ultra high-density foam, and then covered with marine quality vinyl.

Suspension modification is next on the agenda. Our Jeep® Wranglers are specially modified to handle all of our trails safely and aggressively, in any weather, carrying any load. Our Jeep® Wranglers are outfitted with state of the art suspension systems, lifted 4" to 6" over stock, and then equipped with components supplied by the "best of the best" in the off-road world. The short list includes, RUBICON EXPRESS, TERAFLEX, ARB USA, and FABTECH. Some finishing touches include cryogenically treated brake components from CRYOGENICS INTERNATIONAL.

Cryogenic brakes provide incredible durability, long life, and most important, incredible stopping power.

MOPAR parts are used extensively throughout the fabrication and maintenance of our fleet, 4 WHEEL DRIVE HARDWARE is a chief source for many of the hard to find and/or discontinued items we need to keep the fleet maintained at our level of excellence.

Finally all Sedona Jeep® Wranglers are provided with tires from GOODYEAR TIRE AND RUBBER COMPANY, this tire is the premium off-road Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. Goodyear and Pink Jeep Tours have had a partnership on our trails for years.

I've seen them towing 'tourists' out after they got stuck! Rolling with laughter

So far from being 'gay' SJR - it's actually a great off-road experience Thumbs Up

The pink colour comes from the original Jeep tour company, which was based in Hawaii - where Pink is a 'popular' local colour Big Cry

Post #45817823rd Apr 2009 5:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >